Re[2]: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Giuseppe Bilotta
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
      On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
      > Giuseppe Bilotta broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:

      >> On Saturday, February 28, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

      >>> gVim 6.2.293, compiled with cygwin 3.3.1 win32 native subsystem,
      >>
      >> Winner, uh? ;)

      > Isn't that a pathetically obvious subconscious editorial commentary? My
      > fingers betray me!

      Well, it was kind of deserved, wasn't it? :)

      >> Aw. Installing under %ProgramFiles%, please not :\

      > Why not? OK. I am spoiled; WinNT has no tight limits on environmental
      > variable sizes. I have`'t touched a win9x box in a loong time, and try
      > to keep my hands off them dearly :-). But do notice that this script is
      > an example only and shows my personal preferences, nothing more.

      It's probably just a matter of taste of mine, but I always keep
      handy tools that might be called on the command line on short
      paths. It's probably a habit I got from the Win9x days, but I
      keep it under WinXP ...

      Of course, it's always just personal preference :)

      >> Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
      >> the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
      >> install, that is) Or would this make the package
      >> tooooooooooooooo big?

      > Sure! The package wouldn't be particularly bigger, even less if using
      > LZMA to compress the data. Well... My Win2k optimized (but for i386
      > architectures and later) gvim 6.2.293's binary image has a decent size
      > (1.193.472 bytes). A console vim compiled with "FEATURES=HUGE
      > WINVER=0x0500 GUI=NO" is 1.088.000 bytes. It is amazing how small is
      > the GUI code! So, without actually trying to create such an installer,
      > I'd make an educated guess of about 600 Kb increase if using LZMA
      > compression?

      > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work well
      > in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works better. Now
      > we start talking about including three versions... Hmm... You'll need
      > OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

      Why OpenWatcom? Don't other compilers allow 16-bit versions
      too? (I don't know, I never tried). I guess this also brings us
      back to the "code sharing" thing ... a single binary containing
      all versions? It surely is possible to put 16- and 32-bit
      console versions in the same binary (just use the 16-bit
      version as the stub of the 32-bit version, instead of the
      classic "this thingie must be run in a 32-bit environment"
      default stub) ...

      --
      Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
        Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

        > Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
        > the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
        > install, that is) Or would this make the package
        > tooooooooooooooo big?

        I think it would not be a bad idea to include _one_ console version.
        However, there is no console version that runs well on both Win 95/98/ME
        and on NT/2000/XP. Thus we would have to include both versions and
        decide between the two when installing.

        I wonder how much the package grows when adding the two vim.exe files.

        If we really don't care about size, we could also include the language
        files. But we could make a separate package for it as well.

        Perhaps a good solution would be to make three NSIS packages:

        1. gvim with runtime files
        2. console vim, exe only, as an add-on
        3. language files, as an add-on

        For Vim 6.2 you need to install 2. and 3. from a .zip archive, which
        requires more thinking and may go wrong if you don't. I suppose writing
        an NSIS script that finds the already installed Vim and puts the new
        files in the right directory wouldn't be very difficult.

        --
        FATHER: Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and
        get him.

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

          > Now that NSIS2 is gold (http://nsis2.sourceforge.net/), I downloaded it
          > and ran some tests with it. I have found that it is very simple to
          > migrate the present installer creation script from NSIS1 to NSIS2 to
          > gain the possiblity of further evolution *and* the incredibly tight LZMA
          > compression:
          >
          > gVim 6.2.293, compiled with cygwin 3.3.1 win32 native subsystem,
          >
          > Original data size: 9551831 bytes
          > zlib file-by-file compression (default): 3516583 bytes
          > bzip2 block compression (whole archive): 2783198 bytes
          > LZMA whole archive compression (7-Zip): 2505921 bytes
          >
          > I am attaching a copy of my personal NSIS2 script. It is the same as
          > distributed for use with NSIS1 --- it is not the fancy script used by
          > Steve Hall in the Cream installers---, with the following exceptions:

          [...]

          Thanks for making this. For the 6.3 release I will have to look into
          this, thus it's good to see a script that works with NSIS 2. Please do
          try to further improve it.

          The script that Steve Hall made doesn't use install.exe, which has the
          disadvantage that we need to implement some things twice. I prefer to
          stick with install.exe. Perhaps the popup consoles can be avoided
          somehow and the output added to the NSIS log.

          --
          Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
            Bram@... broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:

            > Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
            >
            >> Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
            >> the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
            >> install, that is) Or would this make the package
            >> tooooooooooooooo big?
            >
            > I think it would not be a bad idea to include _one_ console version.
            > However, there is no console version that runs well on both Win
            > 95/98/ME and on NT/2000/XP. Thus we would have to include both
            > versions and decide between the two when installing.
            >
            > I wonder how much the package grows when adding the two vim.exe files.
            >
            > If we really don't care about size, we could also include the language
            > files. But we could make a separate package for it as well.
            >
            > Perhaps a good solution would be to make three NSIS packages:
            >
            > 1. gvim with runtime files
            > 2. console vim, exe only, as an add-on
            > 3. language files, as an add-on
            >
            > For Vim 6.2 you need to install 2. and 3. from a .zip archive, which
            > requires more thinking and may go wrong if you don't. I suppose
            > writing an NSIS script that finds the already installed Vim and puts
            > the new files in the right directory wouldn't be very difficult.

            Even better, NSIS2 allows network push, so that you can have it download
            a core distro and have the installer download the rest from a select
            choice of mirror FTP or HTTP servers... Just like the commercial
            installers out there (InstallShield, Mindvision's VISe and others).

            Hmm.. I have to look further into this...
          • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
              I broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:

              > Even better, NSIS2 allows network push, so that you can have it
              > download a core distro and have the installer download the rest from
              > a select choice of mirror FTP or HTTP servers... Just like the
              > commercial installers out there (InstallShield, Mindvision's VISe and
              > others).

              Of course I meant network pull, but you understood alright anyway, did
              you not? ;-)
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

                > Bram@... broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:
                >
                > > Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
                > >
                > >> Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
                > >> the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
                > >> install, that is) Or would this make the package
                > >> tooooooooooooooo big?
                > >
                > > I think it would not be a bad idea to include _one_ console version.
                > > However, there is no console version that runs well on both Win
                > > 95/98/ME and on NT/2000/XP. Thus we would have to include both
                > > versions and decide between the two when installing.
                > >
                > > I wonder how much the package grows when adding the two vim.exe files.
                > >
                > > If we really don't care about size, we could also include the language
                > > files. But we could make a separate package for it as well.
                > >
                > > Perhaps a good solution would be to make three NSIS packages:
                > >
                > > 1. gvim with runtime files
                > > 2. console vim, exe only, as an add-on
                > > 3. language files, as an add-on
                > >
                > > For Vim 6.2 you need to install 2. and 3. from a .zip archive, which
                > > requires more thinking and may go wrong if you don't. I suppose
                > > writing an NSIS script that finds the already installed Vim and puts
                > > the new files in the right directory wouldn't be very difficult.
                >
                > Even better, NSIS2 allows network push, so that you can have it download
                > a core distro and have the installer download the rest from a select
                > choice of mirror FTP or HTTP servers... Just like the commercial
                > installers out there (InstallShield, Mindvision's VISe and others).
                >
                > Hmm.. I have to look further into this...

                I don't like the idea of downloading more files halfway an installation.
                You can't do that when the file is on a CD-ROM, for example.

                If you do have an internet connection, you have to wait for the download
                to finish, which is often quite annoying. I very much prefer
                downloading one file and installing it. That works predictable.

                --
                LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
                (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

              • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                  On Sunday, February 29, 2004 6:06 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta broke the silence
                  of shunyata and uttered:

                  > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                  >> Giuseppe Bilotta broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:
                  >
                  >>> On Saturday, February 28, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

                  [snip]
                  >>> Aw. Installing under %ProgramFiles%, please not :\

                  [snip -- default install directory]

                  > Of course, it's always just personal preference :)

                  [snip]

                  I can see you have a point. We humans tend to be highly conservative and
                  such change to the default could be perceived as a bug and not a
                  feature--- here is where Steve Hall pitches in and tells us about the
                  feedback he's got on precisely that feature. :-)

                  Unfortunately, NSIS2 does't detect %SystemDrive% in the 2.0 release as
                  far as my reading of the manual suggests, if it did we could use
                  "$SYSTEMDRIVE\Vim" and give the user the opportunity to choose a
                  different location trivially.

                  Hmm... Perhaps this is a bug to report to the NSIS project. Will pursue
                  this further.

                  [snip]

                  >> Hmm... You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
                  >
                  > Why OpenWatcom? Don't other compilers allow 16-bit versions
                  > too? (I don't know, I never tried). I guess this also brings us
                  > back to the "code sharing" thing ... a single binary containing
                  > all versions? It surely is possible to put 16- and 32-bit
                  > console versions in the same binary (just use the 16-bit
                  > version as the stub of the 32-bit version, instead of the
                  > classic "this thingie must be run in a 32-bit environment"
                  > default stub) ...

                  Because it is the only free/open source compiler available that still
                  outputs 16-bit code for Wintel platforms, and all commercial ones have
                  been retired from the market? AFAIK, DGJPP outputs 8-bit code only.
                  RSXNT might be a choice but, I think it is non-free, in the FSF/OSI
                  meaning of the word.
                • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                    On Sunday, February 29, 2004 9:34 AM, Bram Moolenaar broke the silence
                    of shunyata and uttered:

                    >> Hmm.. I have to look further into this...
                    >
                    > I don't like the idea of downloading more files halfway an
                    > installation.
                    > You can't do that when the file is on a CD-ROM, for example.
                    >
                    > If you do have an internet connection, you have to wait for the
                    > download
                    > to finish, which is often quite annoying. I very much prefer
                    > downloading one file and installing it. That works predictable.

                    You are right. I've reading further into the manual and it is completely
                    possible to create extra installers that look for the location of the
                    main package before letting themselves be dump to the disk. Hmmm... Now
                    that I think of it, that's how Winamp extensions work when using NSIS
                    installers.
                  • Giuseppe Bilotta
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                      On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                      > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 6:06 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta broke the silence
                      > of shunyata and uttered:
                      >> Why OpenWatcom? Don't other compilers allow 16-bit versions
                      >> too? (I don't know, I never tried). I guess this also brings us
                      >> back to the "code sharing" thing ... a single binary containing
                      >> all versions? It surely is possible to put 16- and 32-bit
                      >> console versions in the same binary (just use the 16-bit
                      >> version as the stub of the 32-bit version, instead of the
                      >> classic "this thingie must be run in a 32-bit environment"
                      >> default stub) ...

                      > Because it is the only free/open source compiler available that still
                      > outputs 16-bit code for Wintel platforms, and all commercial ones have
                      > been retired from the market? AFAIK, DGJPP outputs 8-bit code only.
                      > RSXNT might be a choice but, I think it is non-free, in the FSF/OSI
                      > meaning of the word.

                      Ah wow, great. Talk about "programmed" obsolescence :)

                      --
                      Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
                    • Giuseppe Bilotta
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                        On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                        > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 9:34 AM, Bram Moolenaar broke the silence
                        > of shunyata and uttered:
                        >>>
                        >>> Hmm.. I have to look further into this...
                        >>
                        >> I don't like the idea of downloading more files halfway an
                        >> installation.
                        >> You can't do that when the file is on a CD-ROM, for example.
                        >>
                        >> If you do have an internet connection, you have to wait for the
                        >> download
                        >> to finish, which is often quite annoying. I very much prefer
                        >> downloading one file and installing it. That works predictable.

                        > You are right. I've reading further into the manual and it is completely
                        > possible to create extra installers that look for the location of the
                        > main package before letting themselves be dump to the disk. Hmmm... Now
                        > that I think of it, that's how Winamp extensions work when using NSIS
                        > installers.

                        That would be an excellent idea.

                        And about localization: would it be possible to choose which
                        localization to install? I don't want to install 65 Gigabytes
                        of data when I'm going to use only 3 Kbs ;)

                        (Seriously, I wouldn't need anything but English and Italian,
                        for example ...)

                        --
                        Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
                      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 29, 2004
                          On Sunday, February 29, 2004 8:05 AM, Bram@... broke the
                          silence of shunyata and uttered:

                          > Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
                          >
                          >> Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
                          >> the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
                          >> install, that is) Or would this make the package
                          >> tooooooooooooooo big?
                          >
                          > I think it would not be a bad idea to include _one_ console version.
                          > However, there is no console version that runs well on both Win
                          > 95/98/ME
                          > and on NT/2000/XP. Thus we would have to include both versions and
                          > decide between the two when installing.
                          >
                          > I wonder how much the package grows when adding the two vim.exe files.

                          I have an answer. Using LZMA compression:

                          Installer including gvim, with the compiler/cpp flags mentioned before.

                          EXE header size: 36352 / 35328 bytes
                          Install code: (60721 bytes)
                          Install data: (9500528 bytes)
                          Uninstall code+data: (5007 bytes)
                          Compressed data: 2480940 / 9566256 bytes
                          CRC (0xAA3664F9): 4 / 4 bytes

                          Total size: 2517296 / 9601588 bytes (26.2%)

                          Installer including 32-bit console vim and gvim.

                          EXE header size: 36352 / 35328 bytes
                          Install code: (60749 bytes)
                          Install data: (10588532 bytes)
                          Uninstall code+data: (5007 bytes)
                          Compressed data: 2635370 / 10654288 bytes
                          CRC (0x170725C8): 4 / 4 bytes

                          Total size: 2671726 / 10689620 bytes (25.0%)

                          I was *way* off in my size increase guess. It seems this installer does
                          a binary xdelta!
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                            Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

                            > >> Would it be possible to add a selection of console versions to
                            > >> the installers too? (Letting the user choose which one to
                            > >> install, that is) Or would this make the package
                            > >> tooooooooooooooo big?
                            > >
                            > > I think it would not be a bad idea to include _one_ console version.
                            > > However, there is no console version that runs well on both Win
                            > > 95/98/ME
                            > > and on NT/2000/XP. Thus we would have to include both versions and
                            > > decide between the two when installing.
                            > >
                            > > I wonder how much the package grows when adding the two vim.exe files.
                            >
                            > I have an answer. Using LZMA compression:
                            >
                            > Installer including gvim, with the compiler/cpp flags mentioned before.
                            >
                            > EXE header size: 36352 / 35328 bytes
                            > Install code: (60721 bytes)
                            > Install data: (9500528 bytes)
                            > Uninstall code+data: (5007 bytes)
                            > Compressed data: 2480940 / 9566256 bytes
                            > CRC (0xAA3664F9): 4 / 4 bytes
                            >
                            > Total size: 2517296 / 9601588 bytes (26.2%)
                            >
                            > Installer including 32-bit console vim and gvim.
                            >
                            > EXE header size: 36352 / 35328 bytes
                            > Install code: (60749 bytes)
                            > Install data: (10588532 bytes)
                            > Uninstall code+data: (5007 bytes)
                            > Compressed data: 2635370 / 10654288 bytes
                            > CRC (0x170725C8): 4 / 4 bytes
                            >
                            > Total size: 2671726 / 10689620 bytes (25.0%)
                            >

                            > I was *way* off in my size increase guess. It seems this installer does
                            > a binary xdelta!

                            If the size increase is this small, I think it's a good idea to include
                            the console versions. Allow the user to select whether he wants to
                            install the console vim or not. Then install the Win 98 or Win XP
                            version, depending on the current system.

                            I assume the LZMA decompression doesn't require the user to install
                            something, right?

                            --
                            GUARD #1: What -- a swallow carrying a coconut?
                            ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk!

                          • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                              On Sunday, February 29, 2004 1:20 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta broke the silence
                              of shunyata and uttered:

                              > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                              >> You are right. I've reading further into the manual and it is
                              >> completely possible to create extra installers that look for the
                              >> location of the main package before letting themselves be dump to
                              >> the disk. Hmmm... Now that I think of it, that's how Winamp
                              >> extensions work when using NSIS installers.
                              >
                              > That would be an excellent idea.
                              >
                              > And about localization: would it be possible to choose which
                              > localization to install? I don't want to install 65 Gigabytes
                              > of data when I'm going to use only 3 Kbs ;)
                              >
                              > (Seriously, I wouldn't need anything but English and Italian,
                              > for example ...)

                              Ahh yes! I think your request is reasonable. I'd be happy with English
                              and Spanish, and the latter mostly to impress chicks at parties telling
                              them I am the translator. ;-)

                              Hmm.. I think the implementation is mostly sweat. I don't promise
                              anything, but I'll take a stab at it and deliver a first draft
                              installer. First I need to reacquaint myself with the source code
                              distribution tarballs. (I have used the CVS repository for so long, the
                              splits are non-existent in my mind.)
                            • Matthias Mohr
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                > > Installer including 32-bit console vim and gvim.
                                > >
                                > > EXE header size: 36352 / 35328 bytes
                                > > Install code: (60749 bytes)
                                > > Install data: (10588532 bytes)
                                > > Uninstall code+data: (5007 bytes)
                                > > Compressed data: 2635370 / 10654288 bytes
                                > > CRC (0x170725C8): 4 / 4 bytes
                                > >
                                > > Total size: 2671726 / 10689620 bytes (25.0%)
                                > >

                                > > I was *way* off in my size increase guess. It seems this installer does
                                > > a binary xdelta!
                                >
                                > If the size increase is this small, I think it's a good idea to include
                                > the console versions. Allow the user to select whether he wants to
                                > install the console vim or not. Then install the Win 98 or Win XP
                                > version, depending on the current system.
                                >
                                > I assume the LZMA decompression doesn't require the user to install
                                > something, right?
                                No, it's just one of the possible compression methods from NSIS.
                                I also vote for integration of the console executables.
                                But the help files and language dependend things should be made in different "extension" installers!

                                I installed NSIS v2 on my computer and did some small changes to the gvim.nsis to make the v2 NSIS happy.
                                And I also included the console executables - but my knowledge about NSIS is very small, so I included them hardcoded.

                                BTW, I also tried to examine the version information from the build executable gvim.exe (including patchlevel)
                                A NSIS-function for that purpose is really easy, but I have no idea how I execute that function at the very first beginning of NSIS
                                compilation process.

                                So finally I ended up with defines again :-(

                                Is there anybody with good knowledge about NSIS who can help?

                                with regards,
                                Matthias

                                SysDesign - The Solution Behind IT.

                                Ihr Spezialist für Systemtechnik sowie Hard- und Softwareentwicklung für alle technischen Anwendungsbereiche.
                                Your specialist for systems engineering as well as hard and software engineering for all technical fields of application.
                              • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                  On Monday, March 01, 2004 7:52 AM, Matthias Mohr broke the silence of
                                  shunyata and uttered:

                                  > Is there anybody with good knowledge about NSIS who can help?

                                  I am not particuarly knowledgeable, but I am writing a prototype.
                                • Jonathan D Johnston
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                    On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                                    > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
                                    > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
                                    > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
                                    > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

                                    Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
                                    console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.

                                    :h dos16
                                    :h dos32
                                    Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

                                    Regards,
                                    Jonathan D Johnston

                                    Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                                  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                      On Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the
                                      silence of shunyata and uttered:

                                      > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                                      >> There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
                                      >> well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
                                      >> better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
                                      >> You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
                                      >
                                      > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
                                      > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
                                      >
                                      > :h dos16
                                      > :h dos32
                                      > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

                                      Are you sure? I think you mean this:

                                      """
                                      Dos16 version Can be used on any MS-DOS system, only uses up to 640
                                      Kbyte of
                                      memory. Also runs on OS/2, Windows 95, and NT. Excludes some
                                      Vim-specific features (autocommands, syntax highlighting,
                                      etc.). Recommended for use on pre-386 machines.
                                      *dos32*
                                      Dos32 version Requires 386 processor and a |DPMI| driver, uses all
                                      available memory. Supports long file names and the Windows
                                      clipboard, but NOT on Windows NT. Recommended for MS-DOS,
                                      Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

                                      There are also two versions that run under Windows:
                                      Win32 version Requires Windows 95 or Windows NT, uses all available
                                      memory, supports long file names, etc. Has some problems on
                                      Windows 95. Recommended for Windows NT. See |os_win32.txt|
                                      Win32 GUI Requirements like the Win32 version, but runs in its own
                                      window, instead of a console. Has scrollbars, menu, etc.
                                      Recommended for Windows 95 and Windows NT. See |gui-w32|.
                                      """

                                      I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it. It
                                      has always being unstable for me.
                                    • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                        On Monday, March 01, 2004 12:04 PM, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia broke the
                                        silence of shunyata and uttered:

                                        > I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it.
                                        > It
                                        > has always being unstable for me.

                                        OK. Now I know why I shuold not type without looking directly to the
                                        screen: "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
                                        help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)
                                      • Jonathan D Johnston
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                                          > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
                                          > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
                                          > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
                                          > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

                                          I wrote
                                          > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
                                          > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
                                          >
                                          > :h dos16
                                          > :h dos32
                                          > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

                                          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                                          > Are you sure? I think you mean this:
                                          [snipped quotation from doc/os_msdos.txt]

                                          Which is the same thing that I wrote. Look at the last sentence for
                                          :h dos32
                                          "Recommended for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Windows 95."

                                          Also, from http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc :
                                          32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim62d32.zip
                                          The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It
                                          requires a DPMI manager, which needs to be installed on
                                          MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one. It supports long file
                                          names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP. It is compiled
                                          with "big" features

                                          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
                                          [...]
                                          > "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
                                          > help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)

                                          As noted at vim.org, DPMI is built into Win32, so no third-party driver
                                          is needed unless you want to use Vim from MS-DOS. I have only
                                          occasionally used the Dos32 Vim from MS-DOS. For DOS, I use the
                                          CWSDPMI that is distributed in vim##d32.zip. No Vim DPMI problems, from
                                          Windows or DOS, so far.

                                          Console for Win9x, in summary & from my perspective:
                                          Dos32/DJGPP Vim:
                                          + 32-bit
                                          + For years has been the recommended console version for Win9x
                                          + Years of experience by Vim developers & users
                                          - Some people don't like DPMI

                                          A new 16-bit compilation or some "third-party" 16-bit port:
                                          + No DPMI
                                          - 16-bit
                                          - No/little experience by Vim developers or users

                                          Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions. :-)

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                                            On Monday, March 01, 2004 4:41 PM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the silence
                                            of shunyata and uttered:

                                            [snip] -> Aha... So, No need for MSVC4.x but DJGPP 32 mode with DPMI
                                            emulation, Hmm... That goes to show I haven't touched a win9x box in the
                                            longest of times.

                                            > Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions.
                                            > :-)

                                            Ahhh! But you misread my intentions! I am creating prototype script that
                                            might be used by others (maybe even Bram) to create theirs. I am not in
                                            pursue of glory here. :-)

                                            Of course, you are welcome to use it and publish binary installers with
                                            the latest and greatest patches (and flog yourself in the process ;-).