"more" suggestion

  • Ilya Sher
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
        Ilya Sher wrote:

        > What do you guys think if vim would switch
        > from "more" to "less" so it would have the
        > ability to scroll up / make a search in lists
        > displayed for example by
        > :let
        > ?

        Vim doesn't use an external program for the listing. There already is
        an item in the todo list to allow scrolling back for commands that list
        items. But this has to be implemented separately for each listing, thus
        it will take time...

        12. Sing along at the opera.

      • Ilya Sher
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
            Ilya Sher wrote:

            > |> What do you guys think if vim would switch from "more" to "less"
            > |> so it would have the ability to scroll up / make a search in
            > |> lists displayed for example by :let ?
            > |

            > | Vim doesn't use an external program for the listing.
            >
            > I meant the behaviour.
            >
            > | There already is an item in the todo list to allow scrolling back
            > | for commands that list items. But this has to be implemented
            > | separately for each listing, thus it will take time...
            > |
            > I looked here:
            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            > and haven't found that.
            > What's the correct place to look ?

            Here:

            ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt

            You can imagine we don't want to add every item from the todo list to
            the voting list. Would take you hours to find an item to vote on! :-)

            --
            I'm not familiar with this proof, but I'm aware of a significant
            following of toddlers who believe that peanut butter is the solution

          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
              Ilya Sher wrote:
              > What do you guys think if vim would switch
              > from "more" to "less" so it would have the
              > ability to scroll up / make a search in lists
              > displayed for example by
              > :let

              You can use VO command('viewouput') from viewoutput.vim script
              (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=897)
              to search and scroll backwards (and forward) the long output
              of any vim

              --
              Jacob
            • Ben Siemerink
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
                Hello,

                Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                >Vim doesn't use an external program for the listing. There already is
                >an item in the todo list to allow scrolling back for commands that list
                >items. But this has to be implemented separately for each listing, thus
                >it will take time...

                Do I understand correctly that the More/Less functionality has been
                implemented for each individual listing? In that case I would propose to
                make it a function that can be reused. This might be harder at second
                thought than at first thought, though...

                Un saludo, Ben.
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
                  Ben Siemerink wrote:

                  > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  >
                  > >Vim doesn't use an external program for the listing. There already is
                  > >an item in the todo list to allow scrolling back for commands that list
                  > >items. But this has to be implemented separately for each listing, thus
                  > >it will take time...
                  >
                  > Do I understand correctly that the More/Less functionality has been
                  > implemented for each individual listing? In that case I would propose to
                  > make it a function that can be reused. This might be harder at second
                  > thought than at first thought, though...

                  Currently output goes directly to the screen. Scrolling back has to be
                  done by repeating the output.

                  Adding some kind of generic "less" functionality would involve inserting
                  a mechanism that stores all output to be able to display it again. What
                  makes this complicated is highlighting and alignment of tables.

                  Another method could be to handle this at a very low level, like how a
                  terminal would scroll back. This is transparent for the higher level
                  functions. I don't know how complicated it would be to implement this.

                  -- Steven Wright