RE: "todo" syntax file proposal

  • Manu Anand
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      -----Original Message-----
      FEEDBACK:
      What do you guys think ?
      Anyone finds this useful ?

      P.S.
      Tried to include htmlized version
      (for quick view) but the mailing list
      software says it's unacceptable :(
      ---------------

      Yup buddy.
      I love it :))
      Thanks..

      -Manu
    • Ben Siemerink
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        Hello Ilya,

        So many people, so many tastes. I use Vim for my todo list for over two
        years now and at the beginning I though folding and auto-close was neat,
        but at the end it is just cumbersome, well for me at least. I prefer to
        prioritize my todo list with colours and that means that folding cannot
        be used. Now I use the following syntax file:

        " Vim script to set syntax highlighting for todo.txt file
        "
        " Written by Ben Siemerink in August 2001

        set noai
        set fo-=o

        " Syntax

        syntax enable
        set syntax=todo
        let b:current_syntax = "todo"

        syn clear
        syn match todoTitle "^\w.*$"
        syn match todoRemark "^:.*$"
        syn match todoLow "^?.*$"
        syn match todoNormal "^-.*$"
        syn match todoMedium "^\*.*$"
        syn match todoHigh "^!.*$"

        let did_todo_syntax_inits = 1
        hi todoTitle term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold guifg=Black
        hi todoRemark guifg=DarkGray
        hi todoLow guifg=Black
        hi todoNormal guifg=DarkGreen
        hi todoMedium guifg=Blue
        hi todoHigh guifg=Red

        Example todo file (I normally have around 40 - 50 items)

        General
        * Fairly important thing
        - Not so important thing
        - Another not so important thing
        : Some comments or action that is diverted to someone else (Jack)
        Customer 1
        ! Something to be done NOW
        - Something else
        Project X
        - Add AI module to handle secret X-X links
        : The auto-update module has that towel structure made by Joe.
        Vim
        - Ask about that one particular thing

        Every item is a line. Lines start with ! to show up in red, * to show up
        in blue, - to show up in green, : to show up in grey, or any other
        character to show up in black. It is very straightforward.

        The neat thing is that you can set sections shown in bold black simply
        by not using any list indicator (!, *, -, :) and that you can easily
        change the priority by changing the first character.

        Of course it does not allow for sub-items or letter examples, but I
        don't need that.

        Saludos, Ben.
        --
        Ben Siemerink (Madrid, Spain)

        Any opinions expressed in this message
        are not necessarily those of the company.
      • Ilya Sher
        • Ben Siemerink
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
            Hello Ilya,

            Ilya Sher wrote:

            > [...]
            >
            > Well, I usually have not many todo items
            > but each one of them usually have match comments
            > so our todo syntax files should differ.
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > BTW: I'm not sure but i think i am not well-organized.
            > Any suggested reading on that ?

            I don't think you're not well organized. As you wrote: you don't have
            that many items. Both setups have limitations and strengths and it's up
            to the way you work or organize your work that you prefer one above the
            other. Sometimes I keep low-priority items in the file for as much as
            half a year.

            I sent in my syntax files to give an alternative view. That's all.
            Please feel free to re-use or ignore.

            Un saludo, Ben.