"todo" syntax file proposal

  • Ilya Sher
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi.

      INTRO:
      I'm using VI for my todo lists for a few months.
      So I did syntax file for it.
      My guess is that there are other people that
      use plain text files for their "todo" lists.

      ATTACHED:
      1) example todo file
      2) todo.vim - syntax file

      HOWTO:
      just
      :so todo.vim
      * notice the folding ;)

      FEEDBACK:
      What do you guys think ?
      Anyone finds this useful ?

      P.S.
      Tried to include htmlized version
      (for quick view) but the mailing list
      software says it's unacceptable :(
    • Ilya Sher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Sorry for the incorrect headers.
        It was supposed (previously) to be for me only.

        Yes, it was copy of diff.vim ;)
      • Manu Anand
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
            Hello Ilya,

            So many people, so many tastes. I use Vim for my todo list for over two
            years now and at the beginning I though folding and auto-close was neat,
            but at the end it is just cumbersome, well for me at least. I prefer to
            prioritize my todo list with colours and that means that folding cannot
            be used. Now I use the following syntax file:

            " Vim script to set syntax highlighting for todo.txt file
            "
            " Written by Ben Siemerink in August 2001

            set noai
            set fo-=o

            " Syntax

            syntax enable
            set syntax=todo
            let b:current_syntax = "todo"

            syn clear
            syn match todoTitle "^\w.*$"
            syn match todoRemark "^:.*$"
            syn match todoLow "^?.*$"
            syn match todoNormal "^-.*$"
            syn match todoMedium "^\*.*$"
            syn match todoHigh "^!.*$"

            let did_todo_syntax_inits = 1
            hi todoTitle term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold guifg=Black
            hi todoRemark guifg=DarkGray
            hi todoLow guifg=Black
            hi todoNormal guifg=DarkGreen
            hi todoMedium guifg=Blue
            hi todoHigh guifg=Red

            Example todo file (I normally have around 40 - 50 items)

            General
            * Fairly important thing
            - Not so important thing
            - Another not so important thing
            : Some comments or action that is diverted to someone else (Jack)
            Customer 1
            ! Something to be done NOW
            - Something else
            Project X
            - Add AI module to handle secret X-X links
            : The auto-update module has that towel structure made by Joe.
            Vim
            - Ask about that one particular thing

            Every item is a line. Lines start with ! to show up in red, * to show up
            in blue, - to show up in green, : to show up in grey, or any other
            character to show up in black. It is very straightforward.

            The neat thing is that you can set sections shown in bold black simply
            by not using any list indicator (!, *, -, :) and that you can easily
            change the priority by changing the first character.

            Of course it does not allow for sub-items or letter examples, but I
            don't need that.

            Saludos, Ben.
            --
            Ben Siemerink (Madrid, Spain)

            Any opinions expressed in this message
            are not necessarily those of the company.
          • Ilya Sher
            • Ben Siemerink
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
                Hello Ilya,

                Ilya Sher wrote:

                > [...]
                >
                > Well, I usually have not many todo items
                > but each one of them usually have match comments
                > so our todo syntax files should differ.
                >
                > [...]
                >
                > BTW: I'm not sure but i think i am not well-organized.
                > Any suggested reading on that ?

                I don't think you're not well organized. As you wrote: you don't have
                that many items. Both setups have limitations and strengths and it's up
                to the way you work or organize your work that you prefer one above the
                other. Sometimes I keep low-priority items in the file for as much as
                half a year.

                I sent in my syntax files to give an alternative view. That's all.
                Please feel free to re-use or ignore.

                Un saludo, Ben.