RE: Small nit in the manual

  • Keith Roberts
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004

      Please don't consider this thread to be a waste of bandwidth ... I, for one,
      learned a lot. But for those of us who aren't up to speed on all the
      various diff formats, here are some useful links:
      http://borg.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/cgi-bin/info2www?(diff)Index
      http://borg.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/cgi-bin/info2www?(diff)Context

      I also finally found [the Google links are too old]:
      http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/manual/html_mono/diff.html#toc_Top

      [search for Context and/or Unified and follow link]
    • François Pinard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2004
        [François Pinard]
        > Hi, people. Would you check if the following diff is appropriate?
        > [...]

        [Benji Fisher]
        > I agree with the content of your change. As for format, I prefer
        > [...] context-style diffs [...]

        [François Pinard]
        > This is annoying... Some maintainers like context diffs and hate
        > unidiffs, other maintainers just want the contrary. [...]

        [Benji Fisher]
        > I am sorry. I interpreted the first line quoted above as asking for
        > advice on the format as well as the content of the diff.

        We are both sorry. I should have seen the ambiguity of my saying while
        writing it.

        > I think we all try to be reasonable. I am sorry for the waste of
        > time, especially since I am probably partly responsible. At least, I
        > expect it to be a one-time cost.

        The cost for me is staying on vim-dev, while it is a bit prematurate in
        my case. But the volume is not high, and the exchanges are interesting,
        so I guess I'll just stick around, yet silently for a while. :-)

        Keep happy, everybody.

        --
        François Pinard http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard
      • Nazri Ramliy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2004
          On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:58:40PM -0500, François Pinard wrote:
          [Benji Fisher]
          > > I am sorry. I interpreted the first line quoted above as asking for
          > > advice on the format as well as the content of the diff.

          [François Pinard]
          > We are both sorry. I should have seen the ambiguity of my saying while
          > writing it.
          >
          > > I think we all try to be reasonable. I am sorry for the waste of
          > > time, especially since I am probably partly responsible. At least, I
          > > expect it to be a one-time cost.
          >
          > The cost for me is staying on vim-dev, while it is a bit prematurate in
          > my case. But the volume is not high, and the exchanges are interesting,
          > so I guess I'll just stick around, yet silently for a while. :-)
          >
          > Keep happy, everybody.

          I just love happy ending, :)

          Nazri.