gvim display problem on GTK with combining characters

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      Unzip the attached 'hebrew.zip'.

      Running gvim (6.2.170) on X (4.3.0)

      set nocp rl enc=utf8 gfn=Courier\ 24

      Then edit the 'text.txt' in the attached zip file.

      You will see an ugly display like the 'hebrew-bad.png'. If you put the cursor
      at the first character, and left--arrow over the text, it will redraw to look
      correct like 'hebrew-good.png'.

      It displays properly in Windows (XP, and Me at least).
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > Unzip the attached 'hebrew.zip'.
        >
        > Running gvim (6.2.170) on X (4.3.0)
        >
        > set nocp rl enc=utf8 gfn=Courier\ 24
        >
        > Then edit the 'text.txt' in the attached zip file.
        >
        > You will see an ugly display like the 'hebrew-bad.png'. If you put
        > the cursor at the first character, and left--arrow over the text, it
        > will redraw to look correct like 'hebrew-good.png'.
        >
        > It displays properly in Windows (XP, and Me at least).

        I also noticed problems with combining characters in Unicode text in the
        GTK version. I haven't found a solution yet, or even know what's wrong.
        It's strange that moving the cursor around changes the display.

        It's in the todo list.

        130. You can't get out of your desk even if it's time to eat or time
        to go to the bathroom.

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          On Monday 05 January 2004 01:16 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > I also noticed problems with combining characters in Unicode text in the
          > GTK version. I haven't found a solution yet, or even know what's wrong.
          > It's strange that moving the cursor around changes the display.

          Hi again ...

          I think I have a hint as to the problem.

          My text has some characters in the 'Alphabetic combining' range. This is due
          to the way iconv maps from cp1255 to utf8. So, in the attached file there is
          a character '0xfb4b', for instance.

          The problem is either that Pango does not correctly categorise the character,
          or more likely that it says the font doesn't know how to display the character
          correctly so it gives bogus width information.

          If you notice, all the problem display runs start with a character in the
          0xfb.. range. I don't have enough knowledge of how Pango works to really
          debug this, but I think this is the right track and hopefully the GTK gurus
          will be able to fix it... soon (please!).

          BTW, "kwrite" displays the text perfectly, so I don't think it's really
          Pango's fault.

          --
          My GPG public key is at http://ronware.gotdns.com/
          fingerprint: 4E91 06E9 2020 114C 8BCD 55B2 0816 60AF 2B3D 4C51