Re: A simple patch for one problem and a question about another

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2003
      On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:23:37PM -0500, Dave Roberts wrote:
      > Hello vim-dev'rs,
      >
      > Apologies if the format of this email is incorrect - I just joined to
      > submit a simple patch and haven't seen any other examples yet.

      I posted a tip yesterday on how to produce patches:

      http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=618

      (wow, 108 views and one comment already). I see you already used "diff
      -c", which is good. Usually, the patch goes at the end of the e-mail,
      or it is attached; I know that the patch program is smart enough to
      ignore parts of the e-mail before the patch; I am not sure how well it
      deals with stuff after it.

      > I had a problem where if I, from a clean 6.2 install did (under WinXP):
      [problem and patch snipped]

      > I had submitted the problem to the vim list then resubmitted it a couple
      > months later after not hearing anything. At that point Bram said it was
      > on the todo list.
      >
      > I looked in $VIMRUNTIME/doc/todo.txt under the help: section and don't
      > really see it although the following is similar:
      >
      > - When a help item has multiple matches make it possible to use ":tn"
      > to go
      > to the other matches.

      I think there is a more up-to-date version of todo.txt on
      ftp.vim.org .

      > The second problem was submitted at the same time:
      >
      > > The second issue is that, for some reason, if I use tjump instead of
      > ctrl-]
      > > the iskeyword value is changed so that the next chapter I try to jump
      > > fails completely since the '.' is no longer part of a <cword>.
      > >
      > > Before tjump: iskeyword=!-~,^*,^|,^"
      > > After tjump: iskeyword=@,48-57,_
      > >
      > > iskeyword is not affected when using ctrl-]
      >
      > Bram's response was:
      >
      > > That's because when using a normal tag jump Vim does not keep the help
      > > file notion. Perhaps that is wrong, since the tags file of the help
      > is
      > > used. I'll have to think about that.
      >
      > I didn't find this specific problem on the todo list either and this one
      > I'm afraid to check into based on Bram's comment.

      Either I do not understand the problem, or it works differently
      for me. I tried

      :help
      /|
      :set isk?
      :tjump
      :set isk?

      and found that the 'iskeyword' option did not change. This is with vim
      6.2.128.

      > Should I just change my key mapping from 'tjump' to 'Ctrl-]' when I'm in
      > a buffer that has a filetype of 'help' and be done with it?
      >
      > Thanks for wading through...
      >
      > - Dave

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Dave Roberts
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003

        Thanks for the tip Benji!

        > > The second problem was submitted at the same time:
        > >
        > > > The second issue is that, for some reason, if I use tjump
        > instead of
        > > ctrl-]
        > > > the iskeyword value is changed so that the next chapter I
        > try to jump
        > > > fails completely since the '.' is no longer part of a <cword>.
        > > >
        > > > Before tjump: iskeyword=!-~,^*,^|,^"
        > > > After tjump: iskeyword=@,48-57,_
        > > >
        > > > iskeyword is not affected when using ctrl-]
        > >
        > > Bram's response was:
        > >
        > > > That's because when using a normal tag jump Vim does not
        > keep the help
        > > > file notion. Perhaps that is wrong, since the tags file
        > of the help
        > > is
        > > > used. I'll have to think about that.
        > >
        > > I didn't find this specific problem on the todo list either
        > and this one
        > > I'm afraid to check into based on Bram's comment.
        >
        > Either I do not understand the problem, or it works differently
        > for me. I tried
        >
        > :help
        > /|
        > :set isk?
        > :tjump
        > :set isk?
        >
        > and found that the 'iskeyword' option did not change. This
        > is with vim
        > 6.2.128.
        >

        > > Thanks for wading through...
        > >
        > > - Dave
        >
        > HTH --Benji Fisher

        I'm using WinXP 6.2.154 but the problem has been around for a while.

        Try the following:

        vim -u NONE
        or
        gvim -u NONE -U NONE

        :h
        :set isk?
        :tjump www
        :set isk?

        Thanks,

        - Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
          Dave Roberts wrote:

          > I had a problem where if I, from a clean 6.2 install did (under WinXP):
          >
          > .\vim.exe -u NONE<cr>
          > :h<cr>
          > :tjump www<cr>
          >
          > What I'd see is:

          > # pri kind tag file
          > 1 F www c:\tmp\vim\vim62\doc/intro.txt
          > *www*
          > 2 F www c:\tmp\vim\vim62\doc\intro.txt
          > *www*
          > Enter nr of choice (<CR> to abort):
          >
          > The simple fix (between the vvv and ^^^) is:

          Thanks for suggesting a solution. This is not the best solution though.
          Using slashes in 'runtimepath' instead of backslashes would result in
          the problem again.

          Try the patch below instead.

          > I had submitted the problem to the vim list then resubmitted it a couple
          > months later after not hearing anything. At that point Bram said it was
          > on the todo list.
          >
          > I looked in $VIMRUNTIME/doc/todo.txt under the help: section and don't
          > really see it although the following is similar:

          This is the entry:

          Win32: ":tjump usr_01.txt" gives two alternatives, differing in slash versus
          backslash. (Dave Roberts, Jul 11, Jul 28, Oct 21)

          I'll remove this now, since I think the patch below solves it.

          The other problem is still unsolved:

          Using ":tag" or ":tjump" in a help file doesn't keep the help file settings
          (e.g. for 'iskeyword').

          Here is the patch:

          *** tag.c~ Tue Sep 30 21:29:58 2003
          --- tag.c Mon Dec 15 20:36:00 2003
          ***************
          *** 1861,1866 ****
          --- 1861,1871 ----
          {
          p[0] = mtt;
          STRCPY(p + 1, tag_fname);
          + #ifdef BACKSLASH_IN_FILENAME
          + /* Ignore differences in slashes, avoid adding
          + * both path/file and path\file. */
          + slash_adjust(p + 1);
          + #endif
          s = p + 1 + STRLEN(tag_fname) + 1;
          #ifdef FEAT_EMACS_TAGS
          if (is_etag)

          --
          Micro$oft: where do you want to go today?
          Linux: where do you want to go tomorrow?

        • Dave Roberts
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003

            [snip]

            > Try the patch below instead.

            I'm running it with your patch now - works fine thanks!

            > > I looked in $VIMRUNTIME/doc/todo.txt under the help:
            > section and don't
            > > really see it although the following is similar:
            >
            > This is the entry:
            >
            > Win32: ":tjump usr_01.txt" gives two alternatives,
            > differing in slash versus
            > backslash. (Dave Roberts, Jul 11, Jul 28, Oct 21)

            Benji had mentioned that a more up to date TODO was on ftp.vim.org and
            I've been poking around but haven't found it yet.

            Could someone provide a link to it please? The one I'm looking at (part
            of 6.2.154) is from the end of May.

            Thank you!

            - Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
              Dave Roberts wrote:

              > > Try the patch below instead.
              >
              > I'm running it with your patch now - works fine thanks!

              Thanks for testing it.

              > > > I looked in $VIMRUNTIME/doc/todo.txt under the help:
              > > section and don't
              > > > really see it although the following is similar:
              > >
              > > This is the entry:
              > >
              > > Win32: ":tjump usr_01.txt" gives two alternatives,
              > > differing in slash versus
              > > backslash. (Dave Roberts, Jul 11, Jul 28, Oct 21)
              > >

              > Benji had mentioned that a more up to date TODO was on ftp.vim.org and
              > I've been poking around but haven't found it yet.
              >
              > Could someone provide a link to it please? The one I'm looking at (part
              > of 6.2.154) is from the end of May.

              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt

              --
              Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.