Re: Long lines result in VAX C debugger problems.

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2003
      In message <200311071541.hA7FfqZX007747@...> of Fri, 7 Nov
      2003 16:41:52 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

      >Walter Briscoe wrote:
      >
      >Since it has taken so long to run into this problem it seems that very
      >few compilers have a problem with long lines.
      The problem is in the debugger rather than the compiler. I doubt if 1 in
      100 vim users run vim through their debugger.

      >> >For this compiler we could disable the Lisp function, that should work
      >> >around the problem.
      >> I don't think so. The problem is that a source line is longer than 255
      >> bytes. In the dim and distant past, I worked on VaxC symbol display and
      >> that is my hazy memory. Can Jim check?
      >
      >Do you mean that when you put a long line in between "#ifdef asdf" and
      >"#endif" the compiler will still refuse to compile the file?
      No! The code compiles happily. The debugger can't handle it.
      It is a long time ago. Jim can confirm or contradict what Bram and I
      expect to happen.

      >> This does not work for the other 2 long strings. We could split the
      >> definitions into chunks and load the data in option.c. I don't like
      >> doing that as it requires the programmer to do more work. However, it
      >> does seem it will work and fit all constraints. What does Bram think?
      >
      >I don't like making the code more difficult for a rare compiler. But if
      >this code prevents people from using Vim on a specific platform, I could
      >include a patch that fixes this (if it's tested).

      I intend to eliminate long lines to deal with the vagaries of a rare
      compiler. Like Bram, I don't have that compiler. I do have others and
      will obviously put any proposed patch through those before submitting
      it. I will check the fix works for me. I will also get Jim to confirm it
      hits his problem. I can do no more. Watch this space ;-)
      --
      Walter Briscoe