gVim under Win32 and the registry

  • Giuseppe Bilotta
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hello,

      this short note describes a couple of extra registry changes
      that can improve integration of gVim and Windows under Win32
      systems. The following registry file:

      === gvim_def.reg ===
      REGEDIT4

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command]
      @="c:\\vim\\vim62\\gvim.exe \"%1\""

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe]

      ===

      makes two changes.

      First, it adds gvim.exe to the list of "known apps": this means
      that "Vi Improved - A Text Editor" will appear in the "Open
      With ..." list.

      Second, it adds the above mentioned "known app" to the list of
      HTML editors: the user will now be able to select "Vi Improved
      - A Text Editor" from the list of HTML editors for Internet
      Explorer. [Properties -> Programs dialog (the one where one
      has the option to choose the default HTML Editor, mail client,
      news client, etc)]

      The only downside of this registry change is that the changes
      will work for sure only if the user has Windows 98 or up (it
      might work under Windows 95 with IE 4.01 installed, but I'm not
      sure about it and cannot test). Feel free to consider it for
      integration in the Win32 distribution of ViM.

      --
      Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2003
        Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

        > this short note describes a couple of extra registry changes
        > that can improve integration of gVim and Windows under Win32
        > systems. The following registry file:
        >
        > === gvim_def.reg ===
        > REGEDIT4
        >
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe]
        >
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell]
        >
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit]
        >
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command]
        > @="c:\\vim\\vim62\\gvim.exe \"%1\""
        >
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe]
        >
        > ===
        >
        > makes two changes.
        >
        > First, it adds gvim.exe to the list of "known apps": this means
        > that "Vi Improved - A Text Editor" will appear in the "Open
        > With ..." list.
        >
        > Second, it adds the above mentioned "known app" to the list of
        > HTML editors: the user will now be able to select "Vi Improved
        > - A Text Editor" from the list of HTML editors for Internet
        > Explorer. [Properties -> Programs dialog (the one where one
        > has the option to choose the default HTML Editor, mail client,
        > news client, etc)]
        >
        > The only downside of this registry change is that the changes
        > will work for sure only if the user has Windows 98 or up (it
        > might work under Windows 95 with IE 4.01 installed, but I'm not
        > sure about it and cannot test). Feel free to consider it for
        > integration in the Win32 distribution of ViM.

        This sounds like a good thing to add. I suppose this can be done in
        src/dosinst.c.

        --
        FIRST SOLDIER: So they wouldn't be able to bring a coconut back anyway.
        SECOND SOLDIER: Wait a minute! Suppose two swallows carried it together?