Re: Patch - Win32 GVIM (SW_INVALIDATE)

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 3, 2003
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:00:14PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > Michael Wookey wrote:
      > > Is the gain in speed for avoiding the check for overlaps enough to
      > > justify adding these tricks? It's very bad to add code that may have
      > > obscure problems that happen in rare situation
      >
      > The slow redraw has been noticeable enough for coworkers to avoid using
      > gvim. On my slow laptop machine, it is *very* noticeable. This is a
      > great patch IMO.

      I wasn't commenting on the part that avoids the SW_INVALIDATE when it
      isn't needed. I was wondering if the check for overlapping windows can
      be skipped. I suspect there are situations where this implementation
      doesn't notice that a window is on top of Vim and scrolling will be
      screwed up (you would see parts of the overlapping window instead of the
      original text).

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      !-| I-am-a-Cylon-Centurian-with-one-red-eye-bouncing-back-and-forth

    • Michael Wookey
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 9, 2003
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Also check what happens if part of the Vim window extends to below the
        > screen and then scroll up the text (with commands, scrollbar or mouse
        > scroll wheel).

        Helmut's patch works correctly with overlapping windows. It is simply slow. When
        gvim is obscured by the task bar, it will leave "text trails" while scrolling,
        but redraw correctly when scrolling stops.

        cheers