Re: Bug or feature? == in a command.

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2003
      Jonathan D Johnston wrote:

      > [...]
      > > > like a good idea, but maybe it should be deferred until...Vim 7.0?
      > >
      > > Well, if it's a problem now it will probably still be a problem when
      > > 7.0 is there (whenever that will be...).
      >
      > Hmm, maybe my comment was too facetious. Since you are a Python fan,
      > are you familiar with the __future__ module? A similar approach might
      > be useful for Vim. The essential idea is to:
      > 1) Announce a change in the language that will be mandatory in the future
      > (making the change mandatory without warning is deemed to break too
      > many existing scripts).
      > 2) Facilitate transition. (command line switches, import from __future__,
      > script to find deprecated usage in existing scripts)
      > 3) With the announced future version, make the change mandatory.

      Yes, I know this is possible. But I tend to have a longer time period
      in mind. When I write a script I expect it to remain valid for ten
      years. Not one or two years.

      Software developers tend to use the latest version of everything. End
      users wonder why they can no longer use Windows 95 and are very
      frustrated when they cannot use a later (so called 'better') version of
      a program.

      I also still try to support old Vi scripts. Thus making Vim 6.x scripts
      invalid sounds like a bad idea.

      > Does this "transitional" approach, or something similar, seem useful for
      > changes which affect VimL? If you have read this far, thanks! ;-)

      This approach can be useful when something has to be changed. But
      keeping Vim backwards compatible is still my preferred solution.

      --
      No engineer can take a shower without wondering if some sort of Teflon coating
      would make showering unnecessary.