Re: the python ftplugin

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2003
      Jonathan Simms wrote:

      > a small comment,
      >
      > In vim 6.2.71 the python ftplugin contains the following lines:
      >

      > " Python always uses a 'tabstop' of 8.
      > setlocal ts=8
      >

      > This is not true. Python recommends using :expandtab, but the number of
      > spaces is up to the developer.

      It _is_ true. When you do mix tabs and spaces a tab is counted for 8
      spaces. If you don't set 'tabstop' to 8 you will not see what the
      Python interpreter sees. If you only use spaces then the value of
      'tabstop' doesn't matter. If you do use tabs there is always the danger
      of some spaces popping up somewhere and you will be in trouble if
      'tabstop' is different from 8.

      Note that 'tabstop' is not the same as 'shiftwidth'. 'shiftwidth' is
      the jump in indent used for autoindenting and other things.

      > According to Guido Van Rossum (the creator of Python):

      This is very old and written by someone who uses Emacs. Vim users can
      ignore this. :-) Seriously, this comment assumes you don't mix tabs and
      spaces, which ignores the real-world problem that this does happen. I
      have seen plenty of files where it exists. Some of them I have written
      myself (accidentally).

      > I personally use ts=4 pretty much everywhere and it was very
      > frustrating for me when my .vimrc settings were superceded by this
      > file (as it took me a few days to figure out what was changing my
      > setting).

      Using a tabstop setting different from 8 will give you trouble one way
      or the other. You should certainly not use 4 as a default.

      201. When somebody asks you where you are, you tell them in which chat room.