RE: (idea for a patch) Sentences, paragraphs

  • Benjamin Peterson
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 21, 2003
      Hi,

      Just thinking about sentences and paragraphs...

      >> 2 -- The definition of a sentence is suitable for plain text but not
      >> very useful for html
      >
      >That doesn't look like a sentence to me. I would call it a line or a
      >title.

      Hmm, okay, how about this html:

      This is a sentence. <i>This is one in italics.</i> This is a third
      one.
      <li>Here's a sentence. Here's another one.</li>

      Some sentences here will not be recognized as such because there's no
      space after the '.' -- but in HTML a '.' is often followed by a tag, not
      by spaces. Perhaps the rule could be (in regex form) \w\.\W

      That would also recognize 'Exclamations!?' and 'Ellipses...', which I
      tend to think would be a good thing.

      >> A -- expand the range of characters that can end a sentence to
      include
      >> Japanese (and other) punctuation.

      >A generic solution would be useful.

      Allow the user to specify a list of such characters in an option? Or
      just hardcode the set of characters that Unicode considers to be
      sentence delimiters? I think I'd favor the latter because having
      useful, fast hard-coded behavior is a strong point of vim. Then allow a
      regex if the user needs the definition of 'sentence' to be really
      different.

      >> C -- have two options, for paragraph and section, each containing a
      >> regex.

      >Useful, but can be a bit slow. Would have to check every character
      >position if the regexp matches.

      The user would usually want something like /^\t\w* or /^\s*$, which
      should be fairly fast. If they give a difficult regex that doesn't
      start with '^', that's their choice.

      >> D -- just maybe have an option for sentence searches.

      >Sounds like almost the same thing as (C). You can use "\zs" to set the
      >cursor position.

      I wasn't aware of \zs when I wrote that. There's always one more
      feature in vim. I guess \zs would allow you to exactly duplicate the
      current behaviour, even when the sentence ends the line.

      >> E -- just maybe, depending on feasibility, have syntax highlighting
      add
      >> sections in the same way it adds folds now. This is just an idle
      >> thought, I doubt I could implement it.

      >A more generic way would be to use a regexp to find a section and allow
      >using syntax elements in the regexp. This can be very slow though.

      Yes, that would be the right way to do it...

      Regards,
      Benjamin