including two spaces in 'para'

  • Dorai Sitaram
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2003
      I added two spaces to the 'para' option

      set para^=\ \

      expecting that vim would then treat lines
      containing just a dot in the first column as paragraph
      separators.

      However, vim only recognizes a dot followed by two
      spaces, not a line containing the dot.

      I think it should recognize the dot-only line too, in
      analogy with .P lines. For, 'para' includes "P ",
      but it doesn't require the P to be followed by a single
      space in order to recognize it as a
      paragarph-separator.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2003
        Dorai Sitaram wrote:

        > I added two spaces to the 'para' option
        >
        > set para^=\ \
        >
        > expecting that vim would then treat lines
        > containing just a dot in the first column as paragraph
        > separators.
        >
        > However, vim only recognizes a dot followed by two
        > spaces, not a line containing the dot.
        >
        > I think it should recognize the dot-only line too, in
        > analogy with .P lines. For, 'para' includes "P ",
        > but it doesn't require the P to be followed by a single
        > space in order to recognize it as a
        > paragarph-separator.

        Is a single dot at the start of the line an nroff macro?

        178. You look for an icon to double-click to open your bedroom window.

      • Dorai Sitaram
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2003
          Bram wrote

          > Is a single dot at the start of the line an nroff macro?

          It is a no op. It is a neat way to have some extra
          vertical space purely for human readership between
          paragraphs and such in the troff source, without
          that space translating into actual space in the output.

          (Note you can't use blank lines for this purpose,
          because these are not no ops in troff. They translate
          into visible vertical space in the output.)