Re: wish: semi-automatic inst of syntax files from central location (www.vim.org) ?

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7 1:02 AM
      David Brown wrote:
      > I would suspect something else is wrong. Is syntax highlighting enabled
      > for other file types?

      Now that I try it on the same machine (RedHat 8, vim 6.1.165),
      syntax highlighting does work by default for .spec files.
      I don't know what's different now vs then.
      Maybe $TERM was set differently back then. I did vim not gvim.
      I definitely remember that I tried 'syntax on'/'syntax off' back
      then when we viewed same file in xemacs and in vim.
      Date of .exrc and .vimrc is very old. I don't know.

      I still wish for single-command-installation 'InstallSyntax' command.
      There are lots of computers around, and many have outdated sh.vim syntax-files.

      Lerner

      David Brown wrote:
      > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
      >

      >>Recently, I needed to edit the rpm spec file. The person who edited
      >

      >>I realize there are dozens of rarely used languages and it's hassle
      >>to keep myriad of syntax files updated in the distribution. And complex
      >>syntax files are probably updated quote often.
      >

      > Hmm. spec.vim has been around for quite a while in vim. It also hasn't
      > changed in the distribution much (6.2c and then not since 6.00a.
      >

      >>What do you fellow vimers think ?
      >

      > I would suspect something else is wrong. Is syntax highlighting enabled
      > for other file types?
      >
      > Dave Brown

    • David Necas (Yeti)
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7 1:13 AM
        On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
        > Example:
        >
        > % vim mypackage.spec
        > ..... ~/.vimrc has: let g:auto_install_syntaxes=ask
        > ..... ~/.vimrc has: let
        > g_remote_syntaxes=http://www.vim.org/auto_syntaxes/
        > vim: Do you want to query central repository for syntax file for
        > *.spec ?

        The file -> filetype mapping is done in filetype.vim (and
        scripts.vim), and isn't always that simple as `*.spec => spec'.

        And if you have working filetype detection for the filetype,
        you have the syntax file too, unless you intentionally
        didn't install it.

        So how would the silly thing find there's something to offer
        in the first place?

        Yeti

        --
        Do not use tab characters. Their effect is not predictable.
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7 2:32 AM
          Yakov Lerner wrote:

          > The problem.
          > -----------
          > Recently, I needed to edit the rpm spec file. The person who edited
          > the spec file before me was xemacs guy. He opened the file in xemacs
          > and showed me around the file, all syntax-colored in xemacs. Frowning
          > upon his xemacs, I opened the file in gvim, and ... there were no
          > syntax coloring.

          There has been a spec syntax file for quite a while. There must be
          something wrong in your Vim setup.

          You can also update to the latest runtime files (including syntax files)
          from the ftp server. An easy way to do this is explained in this page:

          http://www.vim.org/runtime.php

          This does require installing Aap, but after that it's automatic
          (checksums are used to find out which file changed).

          > I realize there are dozens of rarely used languages and it's hassle
          > to keep myriad of syntax files updated in the distribution. And complex
          > syntax files are probably updated quote often.

          True. And the distribution is getting quite big. I have been thinking
          of dropping a few syntax files that hardly anybody uses, but since it's
          not easy to obtain them I haven't done that.

          > Possible solution
          > -----------------
          >
          > What if vim.org had a stable URL for quering the latest version, and
          > for downloading the syntax files, and the vim had a plugin allowing
          > for semi-automatic remote downloading (and installing) the syntax files ?

          Yes, that would be useful. This can be combined with the Vim-online
          storage of Vim scripts. I think that this is a nice idea.

          > The life would be easier for user to update/install the latest version
          > of his local syntax file with one command:
          >
          > :InstallSyntax " for current file, no arguments needed
          > vim: quering www.vim.org .. latest version is 1.27 .. sh.vim installed.
          > user: wow!
          > :InstallSyntax *.spec " for specific language
          > :InstallSyntax ALL " having fast internet ...

          How can this be made to work in a portable way? The netrw plugin can be
          used for downloading perhaps. Unfortunately, not many systems have a
          command to download files over http. Commands like wget and fetch may
          need to be installed.

          The Aap program could be used, like it's done to get the runtime files.
          But Aap has to be installed as well.

          54. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :-)

        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7 2:49 AM
            David Necas (Yeti) wrote:
            > Yakov Lerner wrote:
            > The file -> filetype mapping is done in filetype.vim (and
            > scripts.vim), and isn't always that simple as `*.spec => spec'.
            >
            > And if you have working filetype detection for the filetype,
            > you have the syntax file too, unless you intentionally
            > didn't install it.
            >
            > So how would the silly thing find there's something to offer
            > in the first place?

            Other than by unrecognized extension (*.spec), I agree with you,
            it's impossible. Science fiction. Unless 'InstallSyntax' downloads
            the updated copy of filetype.vim first, maybe ...

            However, assuming that 'InstallSyntax' does download the updated
            copy of filetype.vim, it's possible that manual 'InstallSyntax'
            will guess and download the new syntax file:

            :InstallSyntax " for current file, no arguments needed
            vim: quering www.vim.org .. latest version is 1.27 .. sh.vim installed.
            user: wow!
            :InstallSyntax *.spec " for specific language
            :InstallSyntax ALL " having fast internet ...

            To me, the difference between 1-step installation vs N-step
            installation is HUGE. Multiply number of steps N by M, the number
            of machines, then by K, the number of OS resinstalls on every machine,
            then by L, the number of non-root users ...

            Lerner
          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7 3:31 AM
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Yakov Lerner wrote:
              > > What if vim.org had a stable URL for quering the latest version, and
              > > for downloading the syntax files, and the vim had a plugin allowing
              > > for semi-automatic remote downloading (and installing) the syntax files ?

              > Yes, that would be useful. This can be combined with the Vim-online
              > storage of Vim scripts. I think that this is a nice idea.
              Yes!

              > > :InstallSyntax " for current file, no arguments needed
              > > vim: quering www.vim.org .. latest version is 1.27 .. sh.vim installed.
              > > user: wow!
              > > :InstallSyntax *.spec " for specific language
              > > :InstallSyntax ALL " having fast internet ...
              >
              > How can this be made to work in a portable way? The netrw plugin can be
              > used for downloading perhaps. Unfortunately, not many systems have a
              > command to download files over http. Commands like wget and fetch may
              > need to be installed.

              I see following possibilities:

              1. To include [non-blocking] sockets into vim.
              (But I know that Bram doesn't want this).

              2. To include the stripped-down minimalistic analogue of wget
              right into vim distribution. The really useful minimalistic and
              portable client will be well under 500..1000 lines. ( No need for
              -r(recursivity), no need for authentication, no need for non-http
              protocols ..).

              3. To invoke old-fashioned ftp client for portability. It's
              very hard to script it but it's possible, and it's probably present
              everywhere. Ftp is much slower that http for small files, though.

              4. To build the 'minimalistic-wget' functionality (same as (2))
              right into vim, but invocable NOT as function or command, only
              as a subporocess (as exec 'vim -wget ...) NOT as function or command.
              Well the difference between (4) and (2) is negligible.

              Yakov
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7 6:46 AM
                Yakov Lerner wrote:

                > > How can this be made to work in a portable way? The netrw plugin can be
                > > used for downloading perhaps. Unfortunately, not many systems have a
                > > command to download files over http. Commands like wget and fetch may
                > > need to be installed.
                >
                > I see following possibilities:
                >
                > 1. To include [non-blocking] sockets into vim.
                > (But I know that Bram doesn't want this).

                Indeed.

                > 2. To include the stripped-down minimalistic analogue of wget
                > right into vim distribution. The really useful minimalistic and
                > portable client will be well under 500..1000 lines. ( No need for
                > -r(recursivity), no need for authentication, no need for non-http
                > protocols ..).
                >
                > 3. To invoke old-fashioned ftp client for portability. It's
                > very hard to script it but it's possible, and it's probably present
                > everywhere. Ftp is much slower that http for small files, though.
                >
                > 4. To build the 'minimalistic-wget' functionality (same as (2))
                > right into vim, but invocable NOT as function or command, only
                > as a subporocess (as exec 'vim -wget ...) NOT as function or command.
                > Well the difference between (4) and (2) is negligible.

                An alternative could be to use Python for this. The more ideas pop up
                for extensions that are not closely related to the actual editing of
                text, the more I find that using Python for these things would be really
                helpful.

                It does require installing Python and compiling Vim with the Python
                interface, but that should be possible on nearly every platform.

                Taking it a step further would use Aap to do it. But including Aap in
                the Vim distribution might be interpreted as misusing my position to
                push the use of Aap.

                - Bram

                --
                Creating the world with Emacs: M-x let-there-be-light
                Creating the world with Vim: :make world

              • Charles E. Campbell
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7 7:20 AM
                  On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                  > What if vim.org had a stable URL for querying the latest version, and
                  > for downloading the syntax files, and the vim had a plugin allowing
                  > for semi-automatic remote downloading (and installing) the syntax files ?
                  > By semi-automatic, I mean that auto-installing plugin would
                  > ask user whether to query/download from central repository.

                  Hello!

                  Several points:

                  * Automatic queries: having vim ask the user if it should
                  check a central repository for updates to syntax/*.vim
                  files would rapidly grow tiresome. One would receive
                  such a query every time one opened a file!

                  * New syntax file queries: this situation is probably less
                  onerous.

                  Guess I don't care for querying the user about this. However, the idea
                  of a syntax-highlighting repository seems beneficial to me, as many
                  computers seem to have internet access these days.

                  I have a script (<GetLatestVimScripts.vim>, available at
                  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=642) that
                  automates querying vim.sf.net for the latest versions of desired scripts
                  and downloading them as indicated. I'm sure it could easily be
                  modified to do the same sort of thing for syntax files. It uses wget.

                  I haven't been able to get Python to run on my old SGI; that reason
                  plus lack-of-time is why, for example, I haven't gotten aap/agide
                  running on it. I'd rather keep Python/Perl/Ruby/etc out of the
                  loop for downloading syntax files, except as an optional thing.

                  Such a repository could be used by Bram to build a separate syntax
                  highlighting (why not indent, too?) downloadable file
                  (vim-6.X-synhi.tar.bz2) automatically for those who would find it useful
                  and remove it from vim-6.2.tar.bz2.

                  IMHO the repository would need to restrict updates to their official
                  maintainers, however. Apparently anyone can send updates for any
                  scripts without the need to contact the original author of them, let
                  alone have any need to get their acquiescence. We're lucky some jerk
                  hasn't decided to flood the current archive with thousands of bogus
                  scripts.

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell

                  --
                  Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
                  cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11 7:22 PM
                    Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Thu Aug 07 2003, 05:32:06AM EDT]
                    > http://www.vim.org/runtime.php
                    >
                    > This does require installing Aap, but after that it's automatic
                    > (checksums are used to find out which file changed).

                    I just tried this method, and it says

                    # aap -f ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap fetch
                    Aap: Recipe file "/var/tmp/portage/vim-core-6.2-r2/work/vim62/runtime/ftp:/ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" not found

                    It appears to be prepending my current working directory to the URL for
                    the recipe file.

                    Aron
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12 1:52 AM
                      Aron Griffis wrote:

                      > Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Thu Aug 07 2003, 05:32:06AM EDT]
                      > > http://www.vim.org/runtime.php
                      > >
                      > > This does require installing Aap, but after that it's automatic
                      > > (checksums are used to find out which file changed).
                      >
                      > I just tried this method, and it says
                      >
                      > # aap -f ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap fetch
                      > Aap: Recipe file "/var/tmp/portage/vim-core-6.2-r2/work/vim62/runtime/ftp:/ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" not found
                      >
                      > It appears to be prepending my current working directory to the URL for
                      > the recipe file.

                      You need a newer version of Aap. The support for fetching a recipe
                      specified on the command line was added in version 1.003.

                      --
                      From "know your smileys":
                      [:-) Frankenstein's monster