Re: The Art of Unix Programming: parts about vi(m)

  • Joel Burton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
      On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > The forthcoming book of Eric S. Raymond, The Art of Unix Programming,
      > also has some text on vi(m). The book can be found online at:
      > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/
      >
      > In chapters 13 and 15 vi(m) is mentioned and as you can read, he likes
      > emacs better, a bigger example involving compiling & debugging only
      > mentions the emacs way. It's still possible to send him suggestions/
      > fixes and this might be the right way to give vi(m) the credits it
      > deserves. How that can be done can be found at:
      > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/contribute.html

      With kindness toward esr, I thought there were many sections of the book
      that are less fair-comparison than his-personal-agenda. But emails
      reminding him of vim can't hurt! ;)

      I was a 12-year emacs user who switched to vim about a year ago after
      finally giving up on the multiple incompatible versions, flaky
      contributed packages, disorganized keystrokes, etc. And it was one of
      the best moves I ever made.

      - j.

      --

      Joel BURTON | joel@... | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
      Independent Knowledge Management Consultant
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
        On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Joel Burton wrote:

        > On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > The forthcoming book of Eric S. Raymond, The Art of Unix Programming,
        > > also has some text on vi(m). The book can be found online at:
        > > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/
        > >
        > > In chapters 13 and 15 vi(m) is mentioned and as you can read, he likes
        > > emacs better, a bigger example involving compiling & debugging only
        > > mentions the emacs way. It's still possible to send him suggestions/
        > > fixes and this might be the right way to give vi(m) the credits it
        > > deserves. How that can be done can be found at:
        > > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/contribute.html
        >
        > With kindness toward esr, I thought there were many sections of the book
        > that are less fair-comparison than his-personal-agenda. But emails
        > reminding him of vim can't hurt! ;)
        >
        > I was a 12-year emacs user who switched to vim about a year ago after
        > finally giving up on the multiple incompatible versions, flaky
        > contributed packages, disorganized keystrokes, etc. And it was one of
        > the best moves I ever made.

        Since 1995 I used vi(m) & emacs at the same time when working at a company
        with "emacs-experts" for almost three years. vi(m) for simple things,
        emacs for coding C code. The emacs environment worked at that company,
        but all things I liked didn't work after an upgrade, and the "emacs-experts"
        couldn't figure out how to get it working again the way it did because of
        incompatibility between versions, very frustrating and time consuming.
        Since then I never used emacs again (tried at my next job, but again
        incompatibilities...). I know how you feel. Maybe we can give esr that
        feeling too...

        > - j.

        Have fun,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands