The Art of Unix Programming: parts about vi(m)

  • Aschwin Marsman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
      Hi,

      The forthcoming book of Eric S. Raymond, The Art of Unix Programming,
      also has some text on vi(m). The book can be found online at:
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/

      In chapters 13 and 15 vi(m) is mentioned and as you can read, he likes
      emacs better, a bigger example involving compiling & debugging only
      mentions the emacs way. It's still possible to send him suggestions/
      fixes and this might be the right way to give vi(m) the credits it
      deserves. How that can be done can be found at:
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/contribute.html

      The sections about vi are:
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch13s02.html
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch13s03.html
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch15s02.html

      The case study about emacs (and not vi(m)) can be found at:
      http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch15s08.html

      Eric S. Raymond can be reached at: esr@...

      Have fun,

      Aschwin Marsman

      --
      aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
      P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
        On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > The forthcoming book of Eric S. Raymond, The Art of Unix Programming,
        > also has some text on vi(m). The book can be found online at:
        > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/
        >
        > In chapters 13 and 15 vi(m) is mentioned and as you can read, he likes
        > emacs better, a bigger example involving compiling & debugging only
        > mentions the emacs way. It's still possible to send him suggestions/
        > fixes and this might be the right way to give vi(m) the credits it
        > deserves. How that can be done can be found at:
        > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/contribute.html

        With kindness toward esr, I thought there were many sections of the book
        that are less fair-comparison than his-personal-agenda. But emails
        reminding him of vim can't hurt! ;)

        I was a 12-year emacs user who switched to vim about a year ago after
        finally giving up on the multiple incompatible versions, flaky
        contributed packages, disorganized keystrokes, etc. And it was one of
        the best moves I ever made.

        - j.

        --

        Joel BURTON | joel@... | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
        Independent Knowledge Management Consultant
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
          On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Joel Burton wrote:

          > On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > The forthcoming book of Eric S. Raymond, The Art of Unix Programming,
          > > also has some text on vi(m). The book can be found online at:
          > > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/
          > >
          > > In chapters 13 and 15 vi(m) is mentioned and as you can read, he likes
          > > emacs better, a bigger example involving compiling & debugging only
          > > mentions the emacs way. It's still possible to send him suggestions/
          > > fixes and this might be the right way to give vi(m) the credits it
          > > deserves. How that can be done can be found at:
          > > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/contribute.html
          >
          > With kindness toward esr, I thought there were many sections of the book
          > that are less fair-comparison than his-personal-agenda. But emails
          > reminding him of vim can't hurt! ;)
          >
          > I was a 12-year emacs user who switched to vim about a year ago after
          > finally giving up on the multiple incompatible versions, flaky
          > contributed packages, disorganized keystrokes, etc. And it was one of
          > the best moves I ever made.

          Since 1995 I used vi(m) & emacs at the same time when working at a company
          with "emacs-experts" for almost three years. vi(m) for simple things,
          emacs for coding C code. The emacs environment worked at that company,
          but all things I liked didn't work after an upgrade, and the "emacs-experts"
          couldn't figure out how to get it working again the way it did because of
          incompatibility between versions, very frustrating and time consuming.
          Since then I never used emacs again (tried at my next job, but again
          incompatibilities...). I know how you feel. Maybe we can give esr that
          feeling too...

          > - j.

          Have fun,

          Aschwin Marsman