Re: Patch: Untranslated quotes

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      Oyvind Holm wrote:

      > When running a "vim --version" with the Norwegian translation, this is
      > the result:
      >
      > +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      > vimrc-fil p=C3=A5 systemet: =C2=AB$VIM/vimrc"
      > vimrc-fil for brukere: =C2=AB$HOME/.vimrc"
      > exrc-fil for brukere: =C2=AB$HOME/.exrc"
      > gvimrc-fil p=C3=A5 systemet: =C2=AB$VIM/gvimrc"
      >
      > The quote at the end of the filenames is different from the one at the
      > beginning, it's not translated. The "\"\n" string is used in several
      > other files, so the patch below will not need any additional
      > translation:

      A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
      double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
      and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.

      46. Your wife makes a new rule: "The computer cannot come to bed."

    • Øyvind A. Holm
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
        On 2003-08-06 12:32+0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Øyvind A. Holm wrote:
        > > When running a "vim --version" with the Norwegian translation, this
        > > is the result:
        > >
        > > +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        > > vimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/vimrc"
        > > vimrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.vimrc"
        > > exrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.exrc"
        > > gvimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/gvimrc"
        > >
        > > The quote at the end of the filenames is different from the one at
        > > the beginning, it's not translated. The "\"\n" string is used in
        > > several other files, so the patch below will not need any additional
        > > translation:
        >
        > A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
        > double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
        > and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.

        When translating, I followed the advices on the pretty authoritative
        <http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html#destHeader883> which has
        this to say about the issue:

        "In Norwegian we use « and » consistently as quotes. These glyphs is
        represented in ISO-8859-1, and is totally unproblematic to use."

        About the non-ASCII problem, we're already cursed with æøåÆØÅ. :)

        Precision within reason. I'll translate «» back to "".

        Regards,
        ☮yvind A. Holm
        60.39494°N 5.33016°E
        ---------------------
        cat /dev/urandom >SCO
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
          Oyvind -

          > > A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
          > > double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
          > > and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.
          >
          > When translating, I followed the advices on the pretty authoritative
          > <http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html#destHeader883> which has
          > this to say about the issue:
          >
          > "In Norwegian we use =C2=AB and =C2=BB consistently as quotes. These glyp=
          > hs is
          > represented in ISO-8859-1, and is totally unproblematic to use."
          >
          > About the non-ASCII problem, we're already cursed with =C3=A6=C3=B8=C3=A5=
          > =C3=86=C3=98=C3=85. :)
          >
          > Precision within reason. I'll translate =C2=AB=C2=BB back to "".

          As you can see in the quote I can't read UTF-8 emails (well, I could
          convert it, but that's extra work). Same goes for the manuals: ASCII
          can be read by almost everyone, non-ASCII causes trouble here and there.
          Especially people using Asian languages and latin-2, latin-7, etc.
          Let's try to use ASCII when possible.

          - Bram

          --
          In a world without walls and borders, who needs windows and gates?