Re: Patch: Untranslated quotes

  • Øyvind A. Holm
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      On 2003-08-06 10:13+0200 Øyvind A. Holm wrote:

      > When running a "vim --version" with the Norwegian translation, this is
      > the result:
      >
      > +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      > vimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/vimrc"
      > vimrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.vimrc"
      > exrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.exrc"
      > gvimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/gvimrc"
      >
      > The quote at the end of the filenames is different from the one at the
      > beginning, it's not translated. The "\"\n" string is used in several
      > other files, so the patch below will not need any additional
      > translation:

      And the patch is against src/version.c,v 1.1178 -- vim-6.2.60 .

      Regards,
      Øyvind A. Holm
      60.39494°N 5.33016°E
      ---------------------
      cat /dev/urandom >SCO
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Oyvind Holm wrote:

        > When running a "vim --version" with the Norwegian translation, this is
        > the result:
        >
        > +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        > vimrc-fil p=C3=A5 systemet: =C2=AB$VIM/vimrc"
        > vimrc-fil for brukere: =C2=AB$HOME/.vimrc"
        > exrc-fil for brukere: =C2=AB$HOME/.exrc"
        > gvimrc-fil p=C3=A5 systemet: =C2=AB$VIM/gvimrc"
        >
        > The quote at the end of the filenames is different from the one at the
        > beginning, it's not translated. The "\"\n" string is used in several
        > other files, so the patch below will not need any additional
        > translation:

        A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
        double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
        and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.

        46. Your wife makes a new rule: "The computer cannot come to bed."

      • Øyvind A. Holm
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
          On 2003-08-06 12:32+0200 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Øyvind A. Holm wrote:
          > > When running a "vim --version" with the Norwegian translation, this
          > > is the result:
          > >
          > > +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
          > > vimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/vimrc"
          > > vimrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.vimrc"
          > > exrc-fil for brukere: «$HOME/.exrc"
          > > gvimrc-fil på systemet: «$VIM/gvimrc"
          > >
          > > The quote at the end of the filenames is different from the one at
          > > the beginning, it's not translated. The "\"\n" string is used in
          > > several other files, so the patch below will not need any additional
          > > translation:
          >
          > A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
          > double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
          > and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.

          When translating, I followed the advices on the pretty authoritative
          <http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html#destHeader883> which has
          this to say about the issue:

          "In Norwegian we use « and » consistently as quotes. These glyphs is
          represented in ISO-8859-1, and is totally unproblematic to use."

          About the non-ASCII problem, we're already cursed with æøåÆØÅ. :)

          Precision within reason. I'll translate «» back to "".

          Regards,
          ☮yvind A. Holm
          60.39494°N 5.33016°E
          ---------------------
          cat /dev/urandom >SCO
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
            Oyvind -

            > > A simpler, and in my opinion better, solution is not to change the
            > > double quotes in the translation. This is not related to the language
            > > and introduces non-ASCII characters where that isn't necessary.
            >
            > When translating, I followed the advices on the pretty authoritative
            > <http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html#destHeader883> which has
            > this to say about the issue:
            >
            > "In Norwegian we use =C2=AB and =C2=BB consistently as quotes. These glyp=
            > hs is
            > represented in ISO-8859-1, and is totally unproblematic to use."
            >
            > About the non-ASCII problem, we're already cursed with =C3=A6=C3=B8=C3=A5=
            > =C3=86=C3=98=C3=85. :)
            >
            > Precision within reason. I'll translate =C2=AB=C2=BB back to "".

            As you can see in the quote I can't read UTF-8 emails (well, I could
            convert it, but that's extra work). Same goes for the manuals: ASCII
            can be read by almost everyone, non-ASCII causes trouble here and there.
            Especially people using Asian languages and latin-2, latin-7, etc.
            Let's try to use ASCII when possible.

            - Bram

            --
            In a world without walls and borders, who needs windows and gates?