netrw problems

  • Aron Griffis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2003
      Some things I've noticed with the netrw plugin (which is fantastic, by
      the way):

      1. The filetype is not always set correctly. For example:

      vim rsync://kaf/proj/xxdriver/{xx.c,xxeng.c}

      When vim starts, filetype=c for xx.c. When I use :n to edit xxeng.c,
      filetype is blank. If I change the order of the files, the first one
      is always set correctly, and the following one is not.

      2. When I write the file, the cursor always jumps to the top of the
      file.

      3. After a file loads (for example rsync://kaf/proj/xxdriver/xx.c), if I
      hit ctrl-6 to access the previous file, it jumps to a file in /tmp.
      I realize that I'm tripping on the inner workings of netrw, but it's
      not expected behavior...

      Aron
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
        On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 11:11:01AM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
        > Some things I've noticed with the netrw plugin (which is fantastic, by
        > the way):

        Thank you!

        > 1. The filetype is not always set correctly. For example:
        >
        > vim rsync://kaf/proj/xxdriver/{xx.c,xxeng.c}
        >
        > When vim starts, filetype=c for xx.c. When I use :n to edit xxeng.c,
        > filetype is blank. If I change the order of the files, the first one
        > is always set correctly, and the following one is not.

        Hmm, I'm seeing the first file's filetype not get set but the
        second one getting set correctly. Seems like the opposite sequence
        from what you wrote, but I'll look into it.

        > 2. When I write the file, the cursor always jumps to the top of the
        > file.

        The current version (v33) available under

        http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#vimlinks_scripts

        already addresses this problem. Hmm, putting a

        filetype detect

        in the appropriate place in <netrw.vim> seems to fix this problem.
        I've uploaded a v34 with this fix; please feel free to try it out!

        > 3. After a file loads (for example rsync://kaf/proj/xxdriver/xx.c), if I
        > hit ctrl-6 to access the previous file, it jumps to a file in /tmp.
        > I realize that I'm tripping on the inner workings of netrw, but it's
        > not expected behavior...

        Not sure what to do about this one.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003

          >>3. After a file loads (for example rsync://kaf/proj/xxdriver/xx.c), if I
          >> hit ctrl-6 to access the previous file, it jumps to a file in /tmp.
          >> I realize that I'm tripping on the inner workings of netrw, but it's
          >> not expected behavior...
          >

          > Not sure what to do about this one.

          I have had success with a construction like:

          let AltBuf = bufnr(@#)
          if AltBuf >= 0 | execute "buffer ".AltBuf | endif
          execute "edit ".File

          when jumping from a temporary file to the one to actually show.

          wkr /Flemming