Tooltip feature request in GUI version of vim

  • Ritesh Banerjee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2003
      Hi
      the gvim GUI toolbar icons have tooltips asscoiated
      with them (explaining what the icon stands for).
      I felt that an enhancement in vim providing a vim
      script function to wrap "generating a tooltip" would
      be cool.
      The GUI vim already has code to generate tooltips (by
      calling Windows API for eg.) so this would be a
      powerful facility to provide with relatively less
      effort.
      An example use of such functionality could be a
      script which shows the function prototype in a tooltip
      when the function name is typed (like typing "foo("
      should show the prototype in a tooltip just as in some
      commerical IDEs).
      Also, certain information display/status can be
      optionally (by setting some vim variable) shown as a
      tooltip rather than on the status bar by vim natively.
      There may be some cases where vim could use the
      tooltip capability natively over time.
      A related parameter to the tooltip could be
      "duration for which tooltip is shown" (could be
      permanent till some key is pressed or a finite time
      period).

      Thanks
      Ritesh

      http://sbc.yahoo.com