Re: Link error during building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8

  • Aschwin Marsman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
      On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8 and I am getting the following
      > linker error:
      >
      > ld: fatal: symbol `shellRectangle' is multiply-defined:
      > (file objects/integration.o and file objects/netbeans.o);
      > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to vim
      > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      >
      > The function shellRectangle() is defined in both integration.c
      > and netbeans.c file.
      >
      > I am using the following configure command-line:
      >
      > ./configure --with-x --with-features=huge --enable-cscope --enable-workshop
      > --with-xim=no
      >
      > Anybody else seeing this problem?

      I tried for you on Linux, and offcourse the same problem occurs:

      objects/netbeans.o: In function `shellRectangle':
      /home/marsman/download/vim/vim62/src/netbeans.c:2808: multiple definition of `shellRectangle'
      objects/integration.o:/home/marsman/download/vim/vim62/src/integration.c:907: first defined here
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

      In both files "void shellRectangle(Widget shell, XRectangle *r)" is defined, the functions are
      exactly the same so one of them should be removed, and the other one should be in a source file
      so gui_x11.c can use it. Why not remove this to gui_x11.c? It sure is gui X11 specific.

      > - Yegappan

      Best regards,

      Aschwin Marsman

      --
      aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
      P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

        > I am building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8 and I am getting the following
        > linker error:
        >
        > ld: fatal: symbol `shellRectangle' is multiply-defined:
        > (file objects/integration.o and file objects/netbeans.o);
        > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to vim
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        >
        > The function shellRectangle() is defined in both integration.c
        > and netbeans.c file.
        >
        > I am using the following configure command-line:
        >
        > ./configure --with-x --with-features=huge --enable-cscope --enable-workshop
        > --with-xim=no
        >
        > Anybody else seeing this problem?

        I already have a fix for this, but didn't have time to send it out yet.
        The solution is to move the shellRectangle() function to gui_x11.c.

        --
        I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.