Link error during building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 6:36 PM
      Hi all,

      I am building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8 and I am getting the following
      linker error:

      ld: fatal: symbol `shellRectangle' is multiply-defined:
      (file objects/integration.o and file objects/netbeans.o);
      ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to vim
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

      The function shellRectangle() is defined in both integration.c
      and netbeans.c file.

      I am using the following configure command-line:

      ./configure --with-x --with-features=huge --enable-cscope --enable-workshop
      --with-xim=no

      Anybody else seeing this problem?

      - Yegappan

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Aschwin Marsman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 11:41 PM
        On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8 and I am getting the following
        > linker error:
        >
        > ld: fatal: symbol `shellRectangle' is multiply-defined:
        > (file objects/integration.o and file objects/netbeans.o);
        > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to vim
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        >
        > The function shellRectangle() is defined in both integration.c
        > and netbeans.c file.
        >
        > I am using the following configure command-line:
        >
        > ./configure --with-x --with-features=huge --enable-cscope --enable-workshop
        > --with-xim=no
        >
        > Anybody else seeing this problem?

        I tried for you on Linux, and offcourse the same problem occurs:

        objects/netbeans.o: In function `shellRectangle':
        /home/marsman/download/vim/vim62/src/netbeans.c:2808: multiple definition of `shellRectangle'
        objects/integration.o:/home/marsman/download/vim/vim62/src/integration.c:907: first defined here
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

        In both files "void shellRectangle(Widget shell, XRectangle *r)" is defined, the functions are
        exactly the same so one of them should be removed, and the other one should be in a source file
        so gui_x11.c can use it. Why not remove this to gui_x11.c? It sure is gui X11 specific.

        > - Yegappan

        Best regards,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 2:14 AM
          Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

          > I am building Vim 6.2 in Solaris 2.8 and I am getting the following
          > linker error:
          >
          > ld: fatal: symbol `shellRectangle' is multiply-defined:
          > (file objects/integration.o and file objects/netbeans.o);
          > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to vim
          > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          >
          > The function shellRectangle() is defined in both integration.c
          > and netbeans.c file.
          >
          > I am using the following configure command-line:
          >
          > ./configure --with-x --with-features=huge --enable-cscope --enable-workshop
          > --with-xim=no
          >
          > Anybody else seeing this problem?

          I already have a fix for this, but didn't have time to send it out yet.
          The solution is to move the shellRectangle() function to gui_x11.c.

          --
          I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.