Re: problems building vim 6.2 with visual C++ 6.0

  • BStrohhaecker@hueller-hille.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003

      There is IMHO a simple bug anywhere in the makefile (?).

      The directories for the objects are not created automatically.

      Build it / them manually.

      c:\uti\vim\vim62\src>md objc (for console vim)
      c:\uti\vim\vim62\src>md objGO (for GUI vim)

      HTH, Bernd
    • BStrohhaecker@hueller-hille.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003

        Sorry, no more ideas.

        The following works fine for me:

        call d:\VS\VC98\Bin\VCVARS32.BAT
        nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CSCOPE=yes
        nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CSCOPE=yes GUI=yes OLE=yes

        Bernd, using w2k, vim 6.2.17, vs c++ 6.0
      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          I have no problems building with VC++6 (same version
          of nmake), but I get my source from CVS as opposed to the
          tarballs.

          Since the problem seems to be access to the 'f:\vim62\src\objgo\vc60.pdb'
          file, you might be able to cast light on the problem by using FileMon from
          the www.sysinternals.com site. This will trace all the file accesses during
          the build process.

        • Holger Ditting
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            Hello,

            after using vim several years with UNIX I have to move to Windows :-(
            To use it there with SNiFF+ I tried to compile it with VisualC++ 6.0 but
            failed.

            I got vim-6.2-tar.bz2, vim-6.2-extra.tar.gz (and vim-6.2-lang.tar.gz, which I
            probably won't need). Is there anything else I need?

            ------------------------------ Snip ------------------------------
            $ vcvars32
            Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual C++ tools.

            $ nmake /f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes SNIFF=yes
            Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 6.00.8168.0
            Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

            if not exist .\ObjGO/nul mkdir .\ObjGO
            creating auto/pathdef.c
            cl -c /W3 /nologo -DWIN32 -D_WIN32 -D_MT -MT -I. -Iproto
            -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWIN32 -DFEAT_SNIFF -DWINVER=0x400 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x400 /Ox
            -DNDEBUG /Zi -DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_GUI_W32 -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT
            -DFEAT_BIG auto/pathdef.c /Fo.\ObjGO/pathdef.obj /Fd.\ObjGO/ pathdef.c
            auto/pathdef.c(0) : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database
            'f:\vim62\sr
            c\objgo\vc60.pdb'
            NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
            Stop.

            ------------------------------ Snap ------------------------------

            Any Ideas what I did wrong?

            TIA,
            Holger
            --
            no sig today
          • Holger Ditting
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
              On Jul 2, 9:14, BStrohhaecker@... wrote:
              > Subject: Re: problems building vim 6.2 with visual C++ 6.0
              > > [...]
              >
              > There is IMHO a simple bug anywhere in the makefile (?).
              >
              > The directories for the objects are not created automatically.
              >
              > Build it / them manually.
              >
              > c:\uti\vim\vim62\src>md objc (for console vim)
              > c:\uti\vim\vim62\src>md objGO (for GUI vim)
              >
              > HTH, Bernd

              This is not the problems. These directories are created.

              Holger.