Re: nroff_is_groff: why buffer-local?

  • Dorai Sitaram
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 26, 2003
      Alejandro writes

      > its use in a modeline. All the file does is setting b:nroff_is_groff and
      > then sourcing nroff.vim.
      >
      > This is another artifact of an old decision on what is the right thing to
      > do(tm) by Bram, while using his vim's BDFL hat. Considering that we serious
      > *roff users are a a dying bunch of dinosaurs, it is not surprising that no
      > one made a strong case against it at the time. [Unbelievable that people
      > prefer to write manual pages in texinfo than in mandoc, can't fit me head].

      This is probably getting OT, but...

      the main attraction is the Info output, which is cheap
      hypertext that doesn't require any browser, not even
      lynx. Even vim can read Info thanks to Slavik
      Gorbanyov's excellent plugin, info.vim (available from
      vim.org).

      If groff had a -Tinfo option, texinfo's mindshare
      may experience some chipping away.