Vim version 6.2 available - The Amiga memorial version

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
      This is the real thing: Vim 6.2.

      The first release that comes without Amiga binaries. My A2000 harddisk
      refuses to startup. After 14 years the system where Vim development
      started no longer works. I could get another harddisk and figure out
      how to install everything again... But it doesn't appear to be worth
      the effort.

      There still is a long list of todo items, but if I keep postponing the
      release it will not happen for several months. The plan is to keep
      fixing bugs the coming months.

      What is new since 6.2f?
      ------------

      Packet filter syntax (Camiel Dobbelaar)

      Serbian menu translations. (Aleksandar Jelenak)

      Comprehensive documentation for the exception handling. (Servatius Brandt)

      Fixed
      -----

      Updated Cygwin and MingW makefiles to use more dependencies. (Dan Sharp)

      2html.vim didn't work with 'nomagic' set.

      Win32: setting 'columns' while the window is maximized gives weird results.
      Put back the code that un-maxizes the window.

      When cancelling the selection of alternate matching tags the tag stack index
      could be advanced too far, resulting in an error message when using CTRL-T.

      Patch 6.2f.001
      Problem: The configure check for Ruby didn't work properly for Ruby 1.8.0.
      Solution: Change the way the Ruby check is done. (Aron Griffis)
      Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in

      Patch 6.2f.002
      Problem: The output of ":ls" doesn't show whether a buffer had read errors.
      Solution: Add the "x" flag in the ":ls" output.
      Files: runtime/doc/windows.txt, src/buffer.c

      Patch 6.2f.003
      Problem: Test49 doesn't properly test the behavior of ":catch" without an
      argument.
      Solution: Update test49. (Servatius Brandt)
      Files: src/testdir/test49.ok, src/testdir/test49.vim

      Patch 6.2f.004
      Problem: "vim --version" always uses CR/LF in the output.
      Solution: Omit the CR.
      Files: src/message.c, src/os_unix.c

      Patch 6.2f.005
      Problem: Two error messages without a colon after the number.
      Solution: Add the colon. (Taro Muraoka)
      Files: src/if_cscope.c

      Patch 6.2f.006
      Problem: When saving a file takes a while and Vim regains focus this can
      result in a "file changed outside of Vim" warning and ml_get()
      errors. (Mike Williams)
      Solution: Add the "b_saving" flag to avoid checking the timestamp while the
      buffer is being saved. (Michael Schaap)
      Files: src/fileio.c, src/structs.h

      Patch 6.2f.007
      Problem: Irix compiler complains about multiple defined symbols.
      vsnprintf() is not available. (Charles Campbell)
      Solution: Insert EXTERN for variables in globals.h. Change the configure
      check for vsnprintf() from compiling to linking.
      Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in, src/globals.h

      Patch 6.2f.008
      Problem: The Aap recipe doesn't work with Aap 0.149.
      Solution: Change targetarg to TARGETARG. Update the mysign file.
      Files: src/main.aap, src/mysign

      Patch 6.2f.009 (extra)
      Problem: Small problem when building with Borland 5.01.
      Solution: Use mkdir() instead of _mkdir(). (Walter Briscoe)
      Files: src/dosinst.h

      Patch 6.2f.010
      Problem: Warning for missing prototypes.
      Solution: Add missing prototypes. (Walter Briscoe)
      Files: src/if_cscope.c

      Patch 6.2f.011
      Problem: The configure script doesn't work with autoconf 2.5x.
      Solution: Add square brackets around a header check. (Aron Griffis)
      Note: touch src/auto/configure after applying this patch.
      Files: src/configure.in

      Patch 6.2f.012
      Problem: ":echoerr" doesn't work correctly inside try/endtry.
      Solution: Don't reset did_emsg inside a try/endtry. (Servatius Brandt)
      Files: src/eval.c

      Patch 6.2f.013 (extra)
      Problem: Macintosh: Compiler warning for a trigraph.
      Solution: Insert a backslash before each question mark. (Peter Cucka)
      Files: src/os_mac.h

      Patch 6.2f.014 (extra)
      Problem: Macintosh: ex_eval is not included in the project file.
      Solution: Add ex_eval. (Dany St-Amant)
      Files: src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj

      Patch 6.2f.015 (extra)
      Problem: Win32: When changing header files not all source files involved
      are recompiled.
      Solution: Improve the dependency rules. (Dan Sharp)
      Files: src/Make_cyg.mak, src/Make_ming.mak

      Patch 6.2f.016
      Problem: "vim --version > ff" on non-Unix systems results in a file with a
      missing line break at the end. (Bill McCArthy)
      Solution: Add a line break.
      Files: src/main.c

      Patch 6.2f.017
      Problem: Unix: starting Vim in the background and then bringing it to the
      foreground may cause the termainal settings to be wrong.
      Solution: Check for tcsetattr() to return an error, retry when it does.
      (Paul Tapper)
      Files: src/os_unix.c

      Patch 6.2f.018
      Problem: Mac OS X 10.2: OK is defined to zero in cursus.h while Vim uses
      one. Redefining it causes a warning message.
      Solution: Undefine OK before defining it to one. (Taro Muraoka)
      Files: src/vim.h

      Patch 6.2f.019
      Problem: Mac OS X 10.2: COLOR_BLACK and COLOR_WHITE are defined in
      curses.h.
      Solution: Rename them to PRCOLOR_BLACK and PRCOLOR_WHITE.
      Files: src/ex_cmds2.c

      Patch 6.2f.020
      Problem: Win32: test50 produces beeps and fails with some versions of diff.
      Solution: Remove empty lines and convert the output to dos fileformat.
      Files: src/testdir/test50.in

      Patch 6.2f.021
      Problem: Running configure with "--enable-netbeans" disables Netbeans.
      (Gordon Prieur)
      Solution: Fix the tests in configure.in where the default is to enable a
      feature. Fix that "--enable-acl" reported "yes" confusingly.
      Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in, src/mysign

      Patch 6.2f.022
      Problem: A bogus value for 'foldmarker' is not rejected, possibly causing a
      hang. (Derek Wyatt)
      Solution: Check for a non-empty string before and after the comma.
      Files: src/option.c

      Patch 6.2f.023
      Problem: When the help files are not in $VIMRUNTIME but 'helpfile' is
      correct Vim still can't find the help files.
      Solution: Also look for a tags file in the directory of 'helpfile'.
      Files: src/tag.c

      Patch 6.2f.024
      Problem: When 'delcombine' is set and a character has more than two
      composing characters "x" deletes them all.
      Solution: Always delete only the last composing character.
      Files: src/misc1.c

      Patch 6.2f.025
      Problem: When reading a file from stdin that has DOS line endings but a
      missing end-of-line for the last line 'fileformat' becomes "unix".
      (Bill McCarthy)
      Solution: Don't add the missing line break when re-reading the text from the
      buffer.
      Files: src/fileio.c

      Patch 6.2f.026
      Problem: When typing new text at the command line, old composing characters
      may be displayed.
      Solution: Don't read composing characters from after the end of the
      text to be displayed.
      Files: src/ex_getln.c, src/mbyte.c, src/message.c, src/proto/mbyte.pro,
      src/screen.c

      Patch 6.2f.027
      Problem: Compiler warnings for unsigned char pointers. (Tony Leneis)
      Solution: Add typecasts to char pointer.
      Files: src/quickfix.c

      Patch 6.2f.028
      Problem: GTK: When 'imactivatekey' is empty and XIM is inactive it can't be
      made active again. Cursor isn't updated immediately when changing
      XIM activation. Japanese XIM may hang when using 'imactivatekey'.
      Can't activate XIM after typing fFtT command or ":sh".
      Solution: Properly set the flag that indicates the IM is active. Update the
      cursor right away. Do not send a key-release event. Handle
      Normal mode and running an external command differently.
      (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      Files: src/mbyte.c

      Patch 6.2f.029
      Problem: Mixing use of int and enum.
      Solution: Adjust argument type of cs_usage_msg(). Fix wrong typedef.
      Files: src/if_cscope.c, src/if_cscope.h

      Patch 6.2f.030 (after 6.2f.028)
      Problem: Cursor moves up when using XIM.
      Solution: Reset im_preedit_cursor. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      Files: src/mbyte.c

      Patch 6.2f.031
      Problem: Crash when listing a function argument in the debugger. (Ron Aaron)
      Solution: Init the name field of an argument to NULL.
      Files: src/eval.c

      Patch 6.2f.032
      Problem: When a write fails for a ":silent!" while inside try/endtry the
      BufWritePost autocommands are not triggered.
      Solution: Check the emsg_silent flag in should_abort(). (Servatius Brandt)
      Files: src/ex_eval.c, src/testdir/test49.ok, src/testdir/test49.vim

      Patch 6.2f.033
      Problem: Cscope: re-entrance problem for ":cscope" command. Checking for
      duplicate database didn't work well for Win95. Didn't check for
      duplicate databases after an empty entry.
      Solution: Don't set postponed_split too early. Remember first empty
      database entry. (Sergey Khorev)
      Files: src/if_cscope.c

      Patch 6.2f.034
      Problem: The netbeans interface cannot be used on systems without
      vsnprintf(). (Tony Leneis)
      Solution: Use EMSG(), EMSGN() and EMSG2() instead.
      Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in, src/netbeans.c

      Patch 6.2f.035
      Problem: The configure check for the netbeans interface doesn't work if the
      socket and nsl libraries are required.
      Solution: Check for the socket and nsl libraries before the netbeans check.
      Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in

      Patch 6.2f.036
      Problem: Moving leftwards over text with an illegal UTF-8 byte moves one
      byte instead of one character.
      Solution: Ignore an illegal byte after the cursor position.
      Files: src/mbyte.c

      Patch 6.2f.037
      Problem: When receiving a Netbeans command at the hit-enter or more prompt
      the screen is redrawn but Vim is still waiting at the prompt.
      Solution: Quit the prompt like a CTRL-C was typed.
      Files: src/netbeans.c

      Patch 6.2f.038
      Problem: The dependency to run autoconf causes a patch for configure.in
      to run autoconf, even though the configure script was updated as
      well.
      Solution: Only run autoconf with "make autoconf".
      Files: src/Makefile

      Patch 6.2f.039
      Problem: CTRL-W K makes the new top window very high.
      Solution: When 'equalalways' is set equalize the window heights.
      Files: src/window.c

      Epilogue
      --------

      This is an stable version. Everything should work fine, but in some
      cases it might still crash or even destroy your work.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out
      why, try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at
      least let me know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.2 features with ":help version-6.2".

      You can find Vim 6.2 here:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/
      http://ftp.vim.org/editors/vim/

      More information about downloading: http://www.vim.org/download.php

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.2.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.2-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.2-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.2-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.2-src2.tar.gz sources part 2
      unix/vim-6.1-6.2.diff.gz sources + runtime diffs between 6.1 and 6.2

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.2-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.1-6.2-extra.tar.gz extra diffs between 6.1 and 6.2
      extra/vim-6.2-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      extra/vim-6.1-6.2-lang.tar.gz multi-language diffs between 6.1 and 6.2
      doc/vim62html.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim62.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim62rt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim62lang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim62.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim62ole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/vim62d16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim62d32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim62w32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim62src.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Amiga:
      amiga/vim62rt.zip runtime files packed for Amiga
      amiga/vim62src.zip source files packed for Amiga

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

    • Aschwin Marsman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
        On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > This is the real thing: Vim 6.2.

        Congratulations that you managed to create a new vim version during
        these hot days in the Netherlands!

        > There still is a long list of todo items, but if I keep postponing the
        > release it will not happen for several months. The plan is to keep
        > fixing bugs the coming months.

        I totally agree, its very stable already, and because of the bigger
        number of users it will only get better.

        > Happy Vimming!

        I will. Are you announcing it already on the several news sites, or
        are you waiting one or two days for last minute changes that might
        be needed?

        Have a nice evening, you deserve it.

        Aschwin Marsman

        p.s.: everything builds fine here

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
          Aschwin Marsman wrote:

          > I will. Are you announcing it already on the several news sites, or
          > are you waiting one or two days for last minute changes that might
          > be needed?

          I have just announced it on Freshmeat. I don't do any others. Feel
          free to announce it in any place you feel it is appropriate.

          > p.s.: everything builds fine here

          Glad to know that!

          --
          George: "I just got a new set of golf clubs for my wife!"
          John: "Great trade!"

        • Corinna Vinschen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
            On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 07:06:45PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > This is the real thing: Vim 6.2.

            FYI, I've just uploaded binary and source packages of Vim 6.2 as part
            of the Cygwin net distribution to sourceware.org. It should be
            available on most of the mirrors in a few hours.

            Thanks for this new version and all the hard work,
            Corinna

            --
            Corinna Vinschen
            Cygwin Developer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
              Oops...

              I built a 'big' version on my Linux box:

              $ /usr/bin/vim --version

              VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun 1 2003 22:40:10)
              Compiled by root@...
              Big version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
              +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
              +comments
              +cryptv +cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags
              +eval
              +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
              +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
              +langmap
              +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
              +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
              +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang +netbeans_intg
              -osfiletype
              +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
              +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
              +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
              +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
              +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
              +X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
              system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
              user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
              user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
              system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
              user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
              fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
              f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"
              Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
              -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
              -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
              -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2
              -I/usr/X11R6/include
              Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim
              -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0
              -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0
              -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl

              Note the line:
              f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"

              Looks like this is set in netbeans.c, which seems to be a rather
              inappropriate place to do so ...
              (Since netbeans is not included in a 'normal' build, these are not
              affected by this problem.)

              Sorry for the bad timing. ;-)

              - Michael
            • Michael Schaap
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
                Michael Schaap wrote:

                > Oops...
                >
                > I built a 'big' version on my Linux box:
                >
                > $ /usr/bin/vim --version
                >
                > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun 1 2003 22:40:10)
                > Compiled by root@...
                > Big version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                > +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
                > +cindent
                > +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
                > +comments
                > +cryptv +cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic
                > +emacs_tags +eval
                > +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding
                > -footer
                > +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
                > +langmap
                > +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
                > +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
                > +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang +netbeans_intg
                > -osfiletype
                > +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
                > +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
                > +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
                > +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit
                > +visual
                > +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
                > +writebackup
                > +X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                > system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                > user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                > system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
                > fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
                > f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"
                > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
                > -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
                > -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
                > -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
                > -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
                > Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim
                > -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0
                > -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0
                > -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl
                >
                > Note the line:
                > f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"
                >
                > Looks like this is set in netbeans.c, which seems to be a rather
                > inappropriate place to do so ...
                > (Since netbeans is not included in a 'normal' build, these are not
                > affected by this problem.)

                Small correction: I jumped to this connclusion because Corinna's
                "Normal" Cygwin build doesn't have +netbeans_intg, and thus doesn't have
                this problem. But that turns out to be a coincidence.

                > Sorry for the bad timing. ;-)
                >
                > - Michael

              • Vince Negri
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                  > The first release that comes without Amiga binaries. My A2000 harddisk
                  > refuses to startup. After 14 years the system where Vim development
                  > started no longer works.

                  <plays last post on bugle>

                  I'd send you my expanded A500+ (500MB hd and a 68020
                  processor board) if I could trust the courier..

                  Perhaps someone can set up the development tools inside
                  an emulated Amiga (e.g. UAE)?

                  Vince

                • Corinna Vinschen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                    On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 07:06:45PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > This is the real thing: Vim 6.2.

                    Ouch, the new changelog.vim syntax file is missing one changelogError
                    entry. With this one missing, only spaces in the first line of the entry
                    are marked. Any following line is ignored. The following patch is
                    necessary:

                    --- changelog.vim.ORIG 2003-06-02 10:33:24.000000000 +0200
                    +++ changelog.vim 2003-06-02 10:32:17.000000000 +0200
                    @@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ if s:spacing_errors
                    syn match changelogError "^ \+"
                    endif

                    -syn match changelogText "^\s.*$" contains=changelogMail,changelogNumber,changelogMonth,changelogDay
                    +syn match changelogText "^\s.*$" contains=changelogMail,changelogNumber,changelogMonth,changelogDay,changelogError
                    syn match changelogHeader "^\S.*$" contains=changelogNumber,changelogMonth,changelogDay,changelogMail
                    if version < 600
                    syn region changelogFiles start="^\s\+[+*]\s" end=":\s" end="^$" contains=changelogBullet,changelogColon,changelogError keepend

                    I'm really sorry that I missed it when I looked into it yesterday.
                    Apparently I didn't look close enough :-(((
                    Corinna

                    --
                    Corinna Vinschen
                    Cygwin Developer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Michael Schaap wrote:

                      > I built a 'big' version on my Linux box:
                      >
                      > $ /usr/bin/vim --version
                      [...]
                      > Note the line:
                      > f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"
                      >
                      > Looks like this is set in netbeans.c, which seems to be a rather
                      > inappropriate place to do so ...
                      > (Since netbeans is not included in a 'normal' build, these are not
                      > affected by this problem.)

                      That "vim61" is used obviously is wrong.

                      Looking at the code that does this, I cannot understand why this is
                      needed. Looks like a leftover from old Workshop code. The "rundir"
                      variable is set but never used. Setting "default_vimruntime_dir" may
                      have an effect, but it certainly is not specific for the netbeans
                      interface.

                      Fortunately, this value for $VIMRUNTIME should hardly ever be used. For
                      me it isn't even set. That's because $VIMRUNTIME is set when looking
                      for the language files. Apparently you don't have locale support.

                      > Sorry for the bad timing. ;-)

                      Most bugs are found just after a release...

                      54. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :-)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Corinna Vinschen wrote:

                        > On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 07:06:45PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > >
                        > > This is the real thing: Vim 6.2.
                        >
                        > Ouch, the new changelog.vim syntax file is missing one changelogError
                        > entry. With this one missing, only spaces in the first line of the entry
                        > are marked. Any following line is ignored. The following patch is
                        > necessary:

                        [...]
                        > I'm really sorry that I missed it when I looked into it yesterday.
                        > Apparently I didn't look close enough :-(((

                        I'll include it now. The updated file will be available from the
                        runtime directory on the ftp site.

                        56. You leave the modem speaker on after connecting because you think it
                        sounds like the ocean wind...the perfect soundtrack for "surfing the net".

                      • Michael Schaap
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                          >Michael Schaap wrote:
                          >

                          >>I built a 'big' version on my Linux box:
                          >>
                          >>$ /usr/bin/vim --version
                          >>

                          >[...]
                          >

                          >>Note the line:
                          >> f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/bin/../share/vim/vim61"
                          >>
                          >>Looks like this is set in netbeans.c, which seems to be a rather
                          >>inappropriate place to do so ...
                          >>(Since netbeans is not included in a 'normal' build, these are not
                          >>affected by this problem.)
                          >>

                          >That "vim61" is used obviously is wrong.
                          >
                          >Looking at the code that does this, I cannot understand why this is
                          >needed. Looks like a leftover from old Workshop code. The "rundir"
                          >variable is set but never used. Setting "default_vimruntime_dir" may
                          >have an effect, but it certainly is not specific for the netbeans
                          >interface.
                          >
                          >Fortunately, this value for $VIMRUNTIME should hardly ever be used. For
                          >me it isn't even set. That's because $VIMRUNTIME is set when looking
                          >for the language files. Apparently you don't have locale support.

                          Unfortunately, that's not quite true.
                          The way I found out about this problem was by pressing F1. I got:

                          *help.txt* For Vim version 6.1. Last change: 2003 Feb 13

                          :-(

                          >>Sorry for the bad timing. ;-)
                          >>

                          >Most bugs are found just after a release...

                          Yeah, somebody should sue Murphy. ;-)

                          - Michael
                        • Antonio Colombo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
                            Hi Corinne,

                            this is Antonio from Italy. I have seen (from the vim-dev messages)
                            that you are knowledgeable about both gawk & Cygwin.

                            I have compiled gawk ( 3.1.2d ) under cygwin, and when it executes
                            it consistently creates " ff=unix " files instead of " ff=dos " ones.

                            I did try to set the CYGWIN variable, in the hope it could help,
                            but nothing happened.

                            CYGWIN='nobinmode notty export'

                            Do you have in mind an easy way out? If not, please just disregard
                            this message.

                            Cheers and thanks, Antonio
                            --
                            /||\ Antonio Colombo | azc10@...