RE: [vimdev] Patch 6.2f.011

  • Ali Akcaagac
    Message 1 of 22 , May 30, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 09:55, Beck, Zak wrote:
      > Since you clearly understand the required tools and what needs
      > to be done, how about you have a go at fixing it and send a patch
      > in to Bram?

      yeah i could offer him a hand on this. but i would probably break the
      build for other non gnu related systems e.g. windows, amiga etc. and
      this definately needs a couple of days providing makefile.am for every
      subdir and includign every file, having it understand make dist etc. i
      only quickly peeked over all the stuff in vim so i don't know yet how
      much everything is tied to each other and how much it depends on the way
      it is now. this all needs proper investigations and taken a lot of care
      without breaking the program.

      what i did right now with my last couple of mails was a problem
      description in first case, solving this issue is another topic and needs
      to be discussed as well. it's not that i am not willing to help but it
      all depends on the maintainer. the bigges problems i see here is.

      a) not breaking the build for other systems,
      b) problems with the locales (e.g. when the tarball is split)
      c) specific checks for perl, python etc.

      doing the makefile.am is a dirty and a bit timeconsuming thing but is
      also the easiest thing to do but this needs proper investigation and
      should be discussed clear minded. promising things now and can't keep
      the word afterwards is not my business so please let's see what bram
      thinks. problem description just happened.. let's see the next step.

      > You're right, Bram does a fantastic job for the community here, but
      > there's only one of him.

      yeah sadly he works mostly alone on vim, but on the otherhand he knows
      the code best. working inside a CVS repository including proper
      bugtracking system such as bugzilla would probably make his life far
      easier. but eveyone has his quirks so i am not in the position to make
      or decide new roads - who am i after all.

      greetings,

      Ali Akcaagac