6.2f BETA objects absent from BC5.01 Make_bc5.mak

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27 8:02 AM
      When built with Borland C++ 5.01, Make_bc5.mak has missing prototypes
      and missing symbols. I fixed the problems as far as I am able.
      I left a diagnostic message from the 5.01 linker for gvimext.dll. It
      seems to cause no trouble and fixing it is difficult.

      Details:
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27 1:22 PM
        Walter Briscoe wrote:

        > When built with Borland C++ 5.01, Make_bc5.mak has missing prototypes
        > and missing symbols. I fixed the problems as far as I am able.
        > I left a diagnostic message from the 5.01 linker for gvimext.dll. It
        > seems to cause no trouble and fixing it is difficult.

        Thanks.

        The change to dosinst.h looks like it only needs to be done for Borland
        C, like in os_win32.h.

        The prototypes in if_cscope.c are good.

        I'm not sure about adding ole2w32.lib in Make_bc5.mak. Why would
        install.exe need this OLE library (isn't there a ole32.lib)? And
        why only for BC 5.01, doesn't 5.5 need it as well?

        Using the "32bit" subdir for libraries with the check for __MAKE__ looks
        very strange. I don't dare changing this right now.

        The change for GvimExt has the same risk. And you appear to change the
        order of link arguments without an apparent reason.

        Do you also have Borland C 5.5 and tested with that?

        --
        You can test a person's importance in the organization by asking how much RAM
        his computer has. Anybody who knows the answer to that question is not a

      • Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28 11:22 AM
          In message <200305272022.h4RKMXi11496@...> of Tue, 27 May 2003
          22:22:33 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

          >Walter Briscoe wrote:
          >
          >> When built with Borland C++ 5.01, Make_bc5.mak has missing prototypes
          >> and missing symbols. I fixed the problems as far as I am able.
          >> I left a diagnostic message from the 5.01 linker for gvimext.dll. It
          >> seems to cause no trouble and fixing it is difficult.
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >The change to dosinst.h looks like it only needs to be done for Borland
          >C, like in os_win32.h.
          It may only NEED to be so done; it CAN be done generally. See the script
          below for the testing applied to the change.

          >The prototypes in if_cscope.c are good.
          Thanks!

          >I'm not sure about adding ole2w32.lib in Make_bc5.mak. Why would
          >install.exe need this OLE library (isn't there a ole32.lib)? And
          Because it does not work otherwise. There is no ole32.lib; there are
          ole2w16.lib and ole2w32.lib
          >why only for BC 5.01, doesn't 5.5 need it as well?
          Because the names of files changes between 5.01 and 5.5; I infer this
          was due to the withdrawal of 16 bit support.

          >Using the "32bit" subdir for libraries with the check for __MAKE__ looks
          >very strange. I don't dare changing this right now.
          Bram does not dare to fix a demonstrated problem! I can show my test
          results if he needs convincing.

          >The change for GvimExt has the same risk. And you appear to change the
          >order of link arguments without an apparent reason.
          Did Bram look at my "blow by blow" list? I changed the order because the
          supplied order did not work in 5.01; the new order was tested with both
          5.01 and 5.5

          >Do you also have Borland C 5.5 and tested with that?

          Yes! I aim to build all the relevant makefiles before I let a proposed
          change out of my sight. The following script was used to test my change
          to dosinst.h. When I take on a build, I do work with the following
          pseudo-code
          unpack unix.bz2 extra.gz and lang.gz
          unix2dos dos only files
          for all make environments
          make clean
          make all clean

          The environments covered are shown below.

          The enclosed script shows the script I used to build install.exe and
          uninstal.exe. I use it in W2K. It is too long to show here.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28 2:20 PM
            Walter Briscoe wrote:

            > >I'm not sure about adding ole2w32.lib in Make_bc5.mak. Why would
            > >install.exe need this OLE library (isn't there a ole32.lib)? And
            > Because it does not work otherwise. There is no ole32.lib; there are
            > ole2w16.lib and ole2w32.lib
            > >why only for BC 5.01, doesn't 5.5 need it as well?
            > Because the names of files changes between 5.01 and 5.5; I infer this
            > was due to the withdrawal of 16 bit support.

            Eh, then if it's different for 5.5, why don't I see this in the
            Makefile?

            > >Using the "32bit" subdir for libraries with the check for __MAKE__ looks
            > >very strange. I don't dare changing this right now.
            > Bram does not dare to fix a demonstrated problem! I can show my test
            > results if he needs convincing.

            It already worked for 5.5, don't want to break that. Since 5.5 is
            available for free and more recent, I expect many more people to use it.
            I'm glad you do testing, but my experience is that these things need to
            be tested by more than one person. The environment used may make a big
            difference. Also MS-Windows 95/98/NT/XP differences.

            --
            The process for understanding customers primarily involves sitting around with
            other marketing people and talking about what you would to if you were dumb

            Message 5 of 5 , May 31 2:33 PM
              In message <200305282120.h4SLKRB07079@...> of Wed, 28 May 2003
              23:20:27 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
              I am sorry this response has been delayed; I was writing the first
              generation of a script to build a given target with an arbitrary series
              of winDoze compilation environments. I used it to build vimrun.exe
              I shall hold off proposing it until 6.2 is delivered.

              >Walter Briscoe wrote:

              [What I wrote was snipped to nothing. Bram wrote "I'm not sure...".]

              >> >I'm not sure about adding ole2w32.lib in Make_bc5.mak. Why would
              [Bram is referring to src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak.]

              >> >install.exe need this OLE library (isn't there a ole32.lib)? And
              >> Because it does not work otherwise. There is no ole32.lib; there are
              >> ole2w16.lib and ole2w32.lib
              >> >why only for BC 5.01, doesn't 5.5 need it as well?
              >> Because the names of files changes between 5.01 and 5.5; I infer this
              >> was due to the withdrawal of 16 bit support.
              >
              >Eh, then if it's different for 5.5, why don't I see this in the
              >Makefile?
              >
              >> >Using the "32bit" subdir for libraries with the check for __MAKE__ looks
              >> >very strange. I don't dare changing this right now.
              >> Bram does not dare to fix a demonstrated problem! I can show my test
              >> results if he needs convincing.
              >
              >It already worked for 5.5, don't want to break that. Since 5.5 is
              >available for free and more recent, I expect many more people to use it.
              >I'm glad you do testing, but my experience is that these things need to
              >be tested by more than one person. The environment used may make a big
              I would be delighted to read reports confirming or contradicting my
              observations.

              >difference. Also MS-Windows 95/98/NT/XP differences.
              At the Makefile level, these tend to be null except in "clean" rules.
              Now I look again at it, my patch to src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak is wrong!
              The following is simple and fixes the most pressing problem.
              The involvement of a WILDARG variable will simplify removal of the
              dependence on $(PATH).

              The following is a set of "edited highlights". Finger trouble caused the
              need for the editing. :-)

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) set oldpath=%path%

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) path C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\bin;%oldpath%

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\bin\make -DBOR=C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01 -f Make_bc5.mak clean xxd.exe
              MAKE Version 4.0 Copyright (c) 1987, 1996 Borland International
              del xxd.obj
              del xxd.exe
              bcc32 -IC:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\include -LC:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\lib -DWIN32 xxd.c C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\lib\wildargs.obj
              Borland C++ 5.0 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 1996 Borland International
              xxd.c:
              Error: Could not find file 'C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\lib\wildargs.obj'

              ** error 1 ** deleting xxd.exe

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) vim Make_bc5.mak

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\bin\make -DBOR=C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01 -f Make_bc5.mak clean xxd.exe
              MAKE Version 4.0 Copyright (c) 1987, 1996 Borland International
              del xxd.obj
              del xxd.exe
              bcc32 -IC:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\include -LC:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\lib -DWIN32 xxd.c C:\PF\Borland\BC5.01\lib\32bit\wildargs.obj
              Borland C++ 5.0 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 1996 Borland International
              xxd.c:
              Turbo Link Version 1.6.72.0 Copyright (c) 1993,1996 Borland International

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) path C:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1\bin;%oldpath%

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) C:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1\bin\make -DBOR=C:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1 -f Make_bc5.mak clean xxd
              MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
              del xxd.obj
              del xxd.exe
              bcc32 -IC:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1\include -LC:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1\lib -DWIN32 xxd.c C:\PF\Borland\BC55~1.1\lib\wildargs.obj
              Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
              xxd.c:
              Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd) cd ..\.. && diff -c src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak.0 src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak || cd src\xxd
              *** src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak.0 Tue Jul 24 18:15:26 2001
              --- src/xxd/Make_bc5.mak Sat May 31 16:21:20 2003
              ***************
              *** 7,17 ****
              !if ("$(BCC)"=="")
              BCC = bcc32
              !endif

              xxd: xxd.exe

              xxd.exe: xxd.c
              ! $(BCC) -I$(BOR)\include -L$(BOR)\lib -DWIN32 xxd.c $(BOR)\lib\wildargs.obj

              clean:
              - del xxd.obj
              --- 7,22 ----
              !if ("$(BCC)"=="")
              BCC = bcc32
              !endif
              + !if ($(__MAKE__)<0x0520) # BC < 5.5; Tested on 5.5 and 5.01 W.Briscoe 2003-05-31
              + WILDARG = $(BOR)\lib\32bit\wildargs.obj
              + !else
              + WILDARG = $(BOR)\lib\wildargs.obj
              + !endif

              xxd: xxd.exe

              xxd.exe: xxd.c
              ! $(BCC) -I$(BOR)\include -L$(BOR)\lib -DWIN32 xxd.c $(WILDARG)

              clean:
              - del xxd.obj

              C:\wfb\vim\bld\vim62f\src\xxd)
              --