RE: bug in explicit :setf behavior?

    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      Vince Negri wrote:

      > > Essentially, one can do any number of explicit
      > > :setf somefiletype's after the initial filetype setting, but only
      > > the first existing
      >
      > > ftplugin/somefiletype.vim
      > > indent/somefiletype.vim
      >
      > > take effect.
      >
      > If you look at how the ftplugins work, you will
      > see why there is this limitation. The plugins
      > are written to assert their settings over a
      > blank canvas, and won't necessarily remove
      > the settings of a previous ftplugin. Thus, if
      > the second ftplugin was allowed to run, you
      > would get a mixture of settings.

      True, but not providing the possibility to load another filetype plugin
      isn't nice either. Currently you would have to do ":bwipe" and edit the
      file again (making sure the right filetype is used this time).

      > To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
      > would have to provide an "uninstall" function
      > which could be first called by the :setf command
      > if it detected there was an already loaded
      > filetype.

      That might not be a bad idea. How to implement this? We should at
      least make sure that old filetype plugins still work. Thus new filetype
      plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
      by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

    • Dorai Sitaram
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        Bram wrote:

        > Vince Negri wrote:
        >
        > > To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
        > > would have to provide an "uninstall" function
        > > which could be first called by the :setf command
        > > if it detected there was an already loaded
        > > filetype.
        >
        > That might not be a bad idea. How to implement this? We should at
        > least make sure that old filetype plugins still work. Thus new filetype
        > plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
        > by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

        Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
        Once that's in, changing the definition of

        :setf {filetype}

        to be something like

        :if !did_filetype()
        : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
        : unlet b:did_ftplugin
        : endif
        : if exists("b:did_indent")
        : unlet b:did_indent
        : endif
        : setlocal all<
        : setlocal filetype={filetype}
        :endif

        should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
        files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
        let variables and function definitions, those would
        stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
        perhaps that's harmless?)
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          Dorai wrote:

          > Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
          > Once that's in, changing the definition of
          >
          > :setf {filetype}
          >
          > to be something like
          >
          > :if !did_filetype()
          > : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
          > : unlet b:did_ftplugin
          > : endif
          > : if exists("b:did_indent")
          > : unlet b:did_indent
          > : endif
          > : setlocal all<
          > : setlocal filetype={filetype}
          > :endif
          >
          > should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
          > files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
          > let variables and function definitions, those would
          > stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
          > perhaps that's harmless?)

          I don't like this, because the order in which things are done will
          matter, e.g.:

          :setl tw=55
          :setf mail

          Will work differently from:

          :setf mail
          :setl tw=55

          Even when the "mail" filetype plugin doesn't set 'tw'. That is not what
          people expect.

          131. You challenge authority and society by portnuking people

          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            I wrote to Dorai:

            > > Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
            > > Once that's in, changing the definition of
            > >
            > > :setf {filetype}
            > >
            > > to be something like
            > >
            > > :if !did_filetype()
            > > : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
            > > : unlet b:did_ftplugin
            > > : endif
            > > : if exists("b:did_indent")
            > > : unlet b:did_indent
            > > : endif
            > > : setlocal all<
            > > : setlocal filetype={filetype}
            > > :endif
            > >
            > > should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
            > > files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
            > > let variables and function definitions, those would
            > > stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
            > > perhaps that's harmless?)
            >
            > I don't like this, because the order in which things are done will
            > matter, e.g.:
            >
            > :setl tw=55
            > :setf mail
            >
            > Will work differently from:
            >
            > :setf mail
            > :setl tw=55
            >
            > Even when the "mail" filetype plugin doesn't set 'tw'. That is not what
            > people expect.

            A simple solution would be to support the b:undo_ftplugin variable. It
            should be set by the filetype plugin to the commands required to undo
            the settings. I have implemented this for the Vim plugin.

            Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
            Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!

            Would there be any problem with this approach?

            *** runtime/ftplugin.vim~ Fri Oct 19 15:21:05 2001
            --- runtime/ftplugin.vim Thu May 1 19:40:27 2003
            ***************
            *** 12,17 ****
            --- 12,21 ----
            au FileType * call s:LoadFTPlugin()
            func! s:LoadFTPlugin()
            if expand("<amatch>") != ""
            + if exists("b:undo_ftplugin")
            + exe b:undo_ftplugin
            + unlet b:undo_ftplugin b:did_ftplugin
            + endif
            if &cpo =~# "S" && exists("b:did_ftplugin")
            " In compatible mode options are reset to the global values, need to
            " set the local values also when a plugin was already used.
            *** runtime/ftplugin/vim.vim~ Fri Apr 25 20:14:38 2003
            --- runtime/ftplugin/vim.vim Thu May 1 19:44:34 2003
            ***************
            *** 11,16 ****
            --- 11,22 ----
            " Don't load another plugin for this buffer
            let b:did_ftplugin = 1

            + let cpo_save = &cpo
            + set cpo-=C
            +
            + let b:undo_ftplugin = "setl fo< com< tw< commentstring<"
            + \ . "| unlet b:match_ignorecase b:match_words b:match_skip"
            +
            " Set 'formatoptions' to break comment lines but not other lines,
            " and insert the comment leader when hitting <CR> or using "o".
            setlocal fo-=t fo+=croql
            ***************
            *** 24,31 ****
            " Comments start with a double quote
            setlocal commentstring=\"%s

            - set cpo-=C
            -
            " Let the matchit plugin know what items can be matched.
            if exists("loaded_matchit")
            let b:match_ignorecase = 0
            --- 30,35 ----
            ***************
            *** 41,43 ****
            --- 45,48 ----
            \ synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),1),"name") =~? "comment\\|string"'
            endif

            + let &cpo = cpo_save
            *** src/option.c~ Wed Apr 30 16:39:05 2003
            --- src/option.c Thu May 1 19:51:43 2003
            ***************
            *** 3515,3521 ****
            value = (long)options[opt_idx].def_val[
            ((flags & P_VI_DEF) || cp_val)
            ? VI_DEFAULT : VIM_DEFAULT];
            ! else if (nextchar == '^')
            value = *(long *)get_varp_scope(&(options[opt_idx]),
            OPT_GLOBAL);
            else if (((long *)varp == &p_wc
            --- 3515,3521 ----
            value = (long)options[opt_idx].def_val[
            ((flags & P_VI_DEF) || cp_val)
            ? VI_DEFAULT : VIM_DEFAULT];
            ! else if (nextchar == '<')
            value = *(long *)get_varp_scope(&(options[opt_idx]),
            OPT_GLOBAL);
            else if (((long *)varp == &p_wc

            133. You communicate with people on other continents more than you
            do with your own neighbors.

          • Vince Negri
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2003
              > Thus new filetype
              > plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
              > by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

              That would seem logical. The call to uninstall() could
              then be placed in the b:undo_ftplugin variable you suggested.

              Vince

            • Dorai Sitaram
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                Bram wrote

                > Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
                > Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!

                :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                silent one (no error message).

                It doesn't change isi to its current global
                value; it is a no-op. Try

                :setg isi=@
                :setl isi+=+
                :setl isi<
                :echo &isi
              • Dorai Sitaram
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                  I wrote

                  > :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                  > silent one (no error message).
                  >
                  > It doesn't change isi to its current global
                  > value; it is a no-op. Try
                  >
                  > :setg isi=@
                  > :setl isi+=+
                  > :setl isi<
                  > :echo &isi

                  The docs say 'isi' is a global option with no
                  per-buffer incarnations possible, so the behavior
                  I mention is expected (since :setl isi is
                  indistinguishable from :setg isi).

                  So: It's not a bug (but maybe it should be...).
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                    Dorai wrote:

                    > Bram wrote
                    > >
                    > > Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
                    > > Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!
                    > >

                    > :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                    > silent one (no error message).
                    >
                    > It doesn't change isi to its current global
                    > value; it is a no-op. Try
                    >
                    > :setg isi=@
                    > :setl isi+=+
                    > :setl isi<
                    > :echo &isi

                    'isident' is a global option, thus it's always at it's global value.

                    143. You dream in pallettes of 216 websafe colors.