Re: Vim version 6.2b ALPHA available

  • Bob Hiestand
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2003
      At 08:01-0700 Thu, 1 May 2003, David Brown wrote:

      > Well, this isn't a bash-CVS mailing list, but just say it is a
      > consequence of CVS being just a little more than a bunch of RCS files.
      > The branch does not exist as a cohesive whole. You just have some
      > subset of your files with an RCS branch. If you're lucky enough to get
      > your tags right, you might even be able to refer to that same set of
      > files again.

      Hm, seems like you're bashing CVS... :) Seriously, though, I
      won't prolong the OT here, but I don't see the issue with
      branches. CVS actually does branches very well. Other things it
      leaves to be desired.

      > Personally, I maintain the vim repository locally using opencm. I use
      > opencm for the branches of all of the development. It makes determine
      > what needs to be done in CVS much easier.

      I don't follow.

      > Basically, the only need I forsee for a branch off of 6.1 will be if
      > Bram releases additional patches against 6.1.

      I maintain a CVS repository locally and will indeed keep 6.1 and
      6.2 in separate branches. This is exactly the situation in which
      branches make sense.

      > Unfortunately, none of the CVS alternatives (opencm, arch, svn) are
      > prime-time enough to really use for this. CVS actually works fine for
      > what we want, a way of remotely getting arbitrary revisions.

      Agreed.
    • Aschwin Marsman
      Message 41 of 41 , May 1, 2003
        On Thu, 1 May 2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

        > Previously David Brown wrote:
        > > Well, this isn't a bash-CVS mailing list, but just say it is a
        > > consequence of CVS being just a little more than a bunch of RCS files.
        > > The branch does not exist as a cohesive whole. You just have some
        > > subset of your files with an RCS branch. If you're lucky enough to get
        > > your tags right, you might even be able to refer to that same set of
        > > files again.
        >
        > Getting the tags wrong would be an impressive demonstration of not being
        > able to run a very simple command correctly. I've never seen problems
        > with that.

        I haven't seen that sort of problems either. Moving directories is another
        story.

        > Wichert.

        Kind regards,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands