Re: Vim version 6.2b ALPHA available

  • David Brown
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2003
      On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:19:39AM -0500, Bob Hiestand wrote:
      > At 13:19+0200 Thu, 1 May 2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
      >
      > > > If a previous release comes out, it could become a branch off of
      > > > whatever 6.1.474 versions each file is. CVS does branches very poorly,
      > > > and I would like to do them as little as possible.
      >
      > This is an interesting perspective. In what way does CVS do
      > branches poorly?

      Well, this isn't a bash-CVS mailing list, but just say it is a
      consequence of CVS being just a little more than a bunch of RCS files.
      The branch does not exist as a cohesive whole. You just have some
      subset of your files with an RCS branch. If you're lucky enough to get
      your tags right, you might even be able to refer to that same set of
      files again.

      Personally, I maintain the vim repository locally using opencm. I use
      opencm for the branches of all of the development. It makes determine
      what needs to be done in CVS much easier.

      Basically, the only need I forsee for a branch off of 6.1 will be if
      Bram releases additional patches against 6.1.

      Unfortunately, none of the CVS alternatives (opencm, arch, svn) are
      prime-time enough to really use for this. CVS actually works fine for
      what we want, a way of remotely getting arbitrary revisions.

      Dave Brown
    • Aschwin Marsman
      Message 41 of 41 , May 1, 2003
        On Thu, 1 May 2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

        > Previously David Brown wrote:
        > > Well, this isn't a bash-CVS mailing list, but just say it is a
        > > consequence of CVS being just a little more than a bunch of RCS files.
        > > The branch does not exist as a cohesive whole. You just have some
        > > subset of your files with an RCS branch. If you're lucky enough to get
        > > your tags right, you might even be able to refer to that same set of
        > > files again.
        >
        > Getting the tags wrong would be an impressive demonstration of not being
        > able to run a very simple command correctly. I've never seen problems
        > with that.

        I haven't seen that sort of problems either. Moving directories is another
        story.

        > Wichert.

        Kind regards,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands