Re: bug in explicit :setf behavior?

    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      Dorai wrote:

      > I would have thought that an explicit user ex command
      > of
      >
      > :setf newfiletype
      >
      > where the buffer already has a filetype=oldfiletype
      > would load the filetype plugins for the newfiletype,
      > but it doesn't seem to do so. All it does is set the
      > &filetype variable to newfiletype, with none of
      > the accompanying settings peculiar to newfiletype.
      >
      > Rationale?

      You must be doing something wrong. Try typing ":setf c" in a help file,
      the highlighting does change.

      Note that it doesn't work inside autocommands, since the side effect of
      setting the 'filetype' option is disabled then (unless you explicitly
      enabled nesting autocommands).

      126. You brag to all of your friends about your date Saturday night...but
      you don't tell them it was only in a chat room.

    • Dorai Sitaram
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        Bram:

        > Dorai wrote:
        >
        > > I would have thought that an explicit user ex command
        > > of
        > >
        > > :setf newfiletype
        > >
        > > where the buffer already has a filetype=oldfiletype
        > > would load the filetype plugins for the newfiletype,
        > > but it doesn't seem to do so. All it does is set the
        > > &filetype variable to newfiletype, with none of
        > > the accompanying settings peculiar to newfiletype.
        >
        > You must be doing something wrong. Try typing ":setf c" in a help file,
        > the highlighting does change.

        Very strange. That works. My test case is editing an
        email message, where the filetype is initially 'mail'.
        I do 'setf scheme', which, among other things should 'setl
        lisp', and that doesn't happen. On the other hand,
        'setf scheme' in a help file does work.

        I tried doing 'setf c' while editing an email, and I
        found that while 'cindent' is indeed set, the
        'formatoptions' is not changed.

        So far, I can only find this behavior on buffers whose
        initial filetype=mail. (Of course, I try to
        temporarily set filetype to something else only in mail
        messages, when I'm excerpting code fragments as
        examples.)

        > Note that it doesn't work inside autocommands, since the side effect of
        > setting the 'filetype' option is disabled then (unless you explicitly
        > enabled nesting autocommands).
      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          > I tried doing 'setf c' while editing an email, and I
          > found that while 'cindent' is indeed set, the
          > 'formatoptions' is not changed.

          Is it something to do with the common code
          in the plugin files?

          " Only do this when not done yet for this buffer
          if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
          finish
          endif

          " Don't load another plugin for this buffer
          let b:did_ftplugin = 1

          You should do an ":unlet b:did_ftplugin" before
          your :setf call.

          Vince

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            Dorai Sitaram wrote:
            > Bram:
            >
            >>You must be doing something wrong. Try typing ":setf c" in a help file,
            >>the highlighting does change.
            >

            > Very strange. That works. My test case is editing an
            > email message, where the filetype is initially 'mail'.
            > I do 'setf scheme', which, among other things should 'setl
            > lisp', and that doesn't happen. On the other hand,
            > 'setf scheme' in a help file does work.

            Try

            :set verbose=20
            :setf scheme

            and then have a look at the messages you get. You should see the syntax,
            ftplugin, and indent files loaded. If one of them bails out early, you should
            be able to figure out why.

            :help 'verbose'

            HTH --Benj Fisher
          • Dorai Sitaram
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2003
              Benji Fisher wrote
              > Dorai Sitaram wrote:
              > > Bram wrote:
              > >
              > >>You must be doing something wrong. Try typing ":setf c" in a help file,
              > >>the highlighting does change.
              > >

              > > Very strange. That works. My test case is editing an
              > > email message, where the filetype is initially 'mail'.
              > > I do 'setf scheme', which, among other things should 'setl
              > > lisp', and that doesn't happen. On the other hand,
              > > 'setf scheme' in a help file does work.
              >
              > Try
              >
              > :set verbose=20
              > :setf scheme
              >
              > and then have a look at the messages you get. You should see the syntax,
              > ftplugin, and indent files loaded. If one of them bails out early, you should
              > be able to figure out why.

              Thanks, did that, and I think I know what's happening.
              The b:did_ftplugin is preventing loading of the
              ftplugin/newfiletype.vim file.

              The reason why some filetype-specific things do show up
              is because the 'mail' filetype (the original
              filetype) doesn't have b:did_indent set, so
              indent/newfiletype.vim, if it exists, does get loaded,
              and it happens to set some options (e.g., indent/c.vim
              sets cindent).

              Also, syntax highlighting gets changed correctly.

              In summary, :setf newfiletype does the following:

              1. it sets the &filetype variable to newfiletype.

              2. it changes highlighting correctly, if syntax is on.

              3. it sets stuff from indent/newfiletype.vim, _if_
              the original filetype didn't have an indent plugin.

              4. it doesn't do anything in filetype/newfiletype.vim,
              (except for the early 'finish').
            • Dorai Sitaram
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                I had written:

                > In summary, :setf newfiletype does the following:
                >
                > 1. it sets the &filetype variable to newfiletype.
                >
                > 2. it changes highlighting correctly, if syntax is on.
                >
                > 3. it sets stuff from indent/newfiletype.vim, _if_
                > the original filetype didn't have an indent plugin.
                >
                > 4. it doesn't do anything in filetype/newfiletype.vim,
                > (except for the early 'finish').

                p.s. Bram's example of going to a help file and then
                doing :setf c reveals another wrinkle. It seems to
                work, but only because help files, while they have
                filetype=help (from the modeline), do not have an
                ftplugin, so b:did_ftplugin is not already set.

                So :setf newfiletype inside a help buffer will load
                filetype/newfiletype.vim.

                Essentially, one can do any number of explicit
                :setf somefiletype's after the initial filetype setting, but only
                the first existing

                ftplugin/somefiletype.vim
                indent/somefiletype.vim

                take effect. Since the casual user has no idea which
                the first existing plugins will be -- and they can be
                different for ftplugin and indent! --, the result is
                practically unpredictable. Sometimes it _looks_
                like the last performed :setf is the one that is
                preferred, but it isn't.
              • Vince Negri
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                  > Essentially, one can do any number of explicit
                  > :setf somefiletype's after the initial filetype setting, but only
                  > the first existing

                  > ftplugin/somefiletype.vim
                  > indent/somefiletype.vim

                  > take effect.

                  If you look at how the ftplugins work, you will
                  see why there is this limitation. The plugins
                  are written to assert their settings over a
                  blank canvas, and won't necessarily remove
                  the settings of a previous ftplugin. Thus, if
                  the second ftplugin was allowed to run, you
                  would get a mixture of settings.

                  To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
                  would have to provide an "uninstall" function
                  which could be first called by the :setf command
                  if it detected there was an already loaded
                  filetype.

                  Vince

                • Dorai Sitaram
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                    Vince wrote:
                    > Dorai wrote:
                    > > Essentially, one can do any number of explicit
                    > > :setf somefiletype's after the initial filetype setting, but only
                    > > the first existing
                    >
                    > > ftplugin/somefiletype.vim
                    > > indent/somefiletype.vim
                    >
                    > > take effect.
                    >
                    > If you look at how the ftplugins work, you will
                    > see why there is this limitation. The plugins
                    > are written to assert their settings over a
                    > blank canvas, and won't necessarily remove
                    > the settings of a previous ftplugin. Thus, if
                    > the second ftplugin was allowed to run, you
                    > would get a mixture of settings.
                    >
                    > To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
                    > would have to provide an "uninstall" function
                    > which could be first called by the :setf command
                    > if it detected there was an already loaded
                    > filetype.

                    Right. Each ftplugin would have to do the equivalent
                    of

                    :setlocal all<

                    where all the options are set to their currently
                    obtaining global values, before it starts doing
                    its own setlocals.

                    Unfortunately, :setlocal all< is not (yet?)
                    supported in vim. Doing :setlocal option< individually
                    for each possibly modified option is too tedious. vim
                    does support :setlocal all&, but that wouldn't be quite
                    right, since we want the user's preferences for globals
                    to be respected.
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                      Vince Negri wrote:

                      > > Essentially, one can do any number of explicit
                      > > :setf somefiletype's after the initial filetype setting, but only
                      > > the first existing
                      >
                      > > ftplugin/somefiletype.vim
                      > > indent/somefiletype.vim
                      >
                      > > take effect.
                      >
                      > If you look at how the ftplugins work, you will
                      > see why there is this limitation. The plugins
                      > are written to assert their settings over a
                      > blank canvas, and won't necessarily remove
                      > the settings of a previous ftplugin. Thus, if
                      > the second ftplugin was allowed to run, you
                      > would get a mixture of settings.

                      True, but not providing the possibility to load another filetype plugin
                      isn't nice either. Currently you would have to do ":bwipe" and edit the
                      file again (making sure the right filetype is used this time).

                      > To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
                      > would have to provide an "uninstall" function
                      > which could be first called by the :setf command
                      > if it detected there was an already loaded
                      > filetype.

                      That might not be a bad idea. How to implement this? We should at
                      least make sure that old filetype plugins still work. Thus new filetype
                      plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
                      by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

                    • Dorai Sitaram
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                        Bram wrote:

                        > Vince Negri wrote:
                        >
                        > > To remove this problem, each ftplugin script
                        > > would have to provide an "uninstall" function
                        > > which could be first called by the :setf command
                        > > if it detected there was an already loaded
                        > > filetype.
                        >
                        > That might not be a bad idea. How to implement this? We should at
                        > least make sure that old filetype plugins still work. Thus new filetype
                        > plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
                        > by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

                        Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
                        Once that's in, changing the definition of

                        :setf {filetype}

                        to be something like

                        :if !did_filetype()
                        : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
                        : unlet b:did_ftplugin
                        : endif
                        : if exists("b:did_indent")
                        : unlet b:did_indent
                        : endif
                        : setlocal all<
                        : setlocal filetype={filetype}
                        :endif

                        should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
                        files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
                        let variables and function definitions, those would
                        stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
                        perhaps that's harmless?)
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                          Dorai wrote:

                          > Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
                          > Once that's in, changing the definition of
                          >
                          > :setf {filetype}
                          >
                          > to be something like
                          >
                          > :if !did_filetype()
                          > : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
                          > : unlet b:did_ftplugin
                          > : endif
                          > : if exists("b:did_indent")
                          > : unlet b:did_indent
                          > : endif
                          > : setlocal all<
                          > : setlocal filetype={filetype}
                          > :endif
                          >
                          > should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
                          > files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
                          > let variables and function definitions, those would
                          > stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
                          > perhaps that's harmless?)

                          I don't like this, because the order in which things are done will
                          matter, e.g.:

                          :setl tw=55
                          :setf mail

                          Will work differently from:

                          :setf mail
                          :setl tw=55

                          Even when the "mail" filetype plugin doesn't set 'tw'. That is not what
                          people expect.

                          131. You challenge authority and society by portnuking people

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                            I wrote to Dorai:

                            > > Ability to do :setlocal all< would be a lifesaver.
                            > > Once that's in, changing the definition of
                            > >
                            > > :setf {filetype}
                            > >
                            > > to be something like
                            > >
                            > > :if !did_filetype()
                            > > : if exists("b:did_ftplugin")
                            > > : unlet b:did_ftplugin
                            > > : endif
                            > > : if exists("b:did_indent")
                            > > : unlet b:did_indent
                            > > : endif
                            > > : setlocal all<
                            > > : setlocal filetype={filetype}
                            > > :endif
                            > >
                            > > should all be all that's needed. The old plugin
                            > > files wouldn't need to be changed. (If they introduced
                            > > let variables and function definitions, those would
                            > > stay across filetype changes for the same buffer, but
                            > > perhaps that's harmless?)
                            >
                            > I don't like this, because the order in which things are done will
                            > matter, e.g.:
                            >
                            > :setl tw=55
                            > :setf mail
                            >
                            > Will work differently from:
                            >
                            > :setf mail
                            > :setl tw=55
                            >
                            > Even when the "mail" filetype plugin doesn't set 'tw'. That is not what
                            > people expect.

                            A simple solution would be to support the b:undo_ftplugin variable. It
                            should be set by the filetype plugin to the commands required to undo
                            the settings. I have implemented this for the Vim plugin.

                            Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
                            Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!

                            Would there be any problem with this approach?

                            *** runtime/ftplugin.vim~ Fri Oct 19 15:21:05 2001
                            --- runtime/ftplugin.vim Thu May 1 19:40:27 2003
                            ***************
                            *** 12,17 ****
                            --- 12,21 ----
                            au FileType * call s:LoadFTPlugin()
                            func! s:LoadFTPlugin()
                            if expand("<amatch>") != ""
                            + if exists("b:undo_ftplugin")
                            + exe b:undo_ftplugin
                            + unlet b:undo_ftplugin b:did_ftplugin
                            + endif
                            if &cpo =~# "S" && exists("b:did_ftplugin")
                            " In compatible mode options are reset to the global values, need to
                            " set the local values also when a plugin was already used.
                            *** runtime/ftplugin/vim.vim~ Fri Apr 25 20:14:38 2003
                            --- runtime/ftplugin/vim.vim Thu May 1 19:44:34 2003
                            ***************
                            *** 11,16 ****
                            --- 11,22 ----
                            " Don't load another plugin for this buffer
                            let b:did_ftplugin = 1

                            + let cpo_save = &cpo
                            + set cpo-=C
                            +
                            + let b:undo_ftplugin = "setl fo< com< tw< commentstring<"
                            + \ . "| unlet b:match_ignorecase b:match_words b:match_skip"
                            +
                            " Set 'formatoptions' to break comment lines but not other lines,
                            " and insert the comment leader when hitting <CR> or using "o".
                            setlocal fo-=t fo+=croql
                            ***************
                            *** 24,31 ****
                            " Comments start with a double quote
                            setlocal commentstring=\"%s

                            - set cpo-=C
                            -
                            " Let the matchit plugin know what items can be matched.
                            if exists("loaded_matchit")
                            let b:match_ignorecase = 0
                            --- 30,35 ----
                            ***************
                            *** 41,43 ****
                            --- 45,48 ----
                            \ synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),1),"name") =~? "comment\\|string"'
                            endif

                            + let &cpo = cpo_save
                            *** src/option.c~ Wed Apr 30 16:39:05 2003
                            --- src/option.c Thu May 1 19:51:43 2003
                            ***************
                            *** 3515,3521 ****
                            value = (long)options[opt_idx].def_val[
                            ((flags & P_VI_DEF) || cp_val)
                            ? VI_DEFAULT : VIM_DEFAULT];
                            ! else if (nextchar == '^')
                            value = *(long *)get_varp_scope(&(options[opt_idx]),
                            OPT_GLOBAL);
                            else if (((long *)varp == &p_wc
                            --- 3515,3521 ----
                            value = (long)options[opt_idx].def_val[
                            ((flags & P_VI_DEF) || cp_val)
                            ? VI_DEFAULT : VIM_DEFAULT];
                            ! else if (nextchar == '<')
                            value = *(long *)get_varp_scope(&(options[opt_idx]),
                            OPT_GLOBAL);
                            else if (((long *)varp == &p_wc

                            133. You communicate with people on other continents more than you
                            do with your own neighbors.

                          • Vince Negri
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                              > Thus new filetype
                              > plugins must provide their "uninstall" function somehow. Perhaps simply
                              > by providing an "s:uninstall()" function?

                              That would seem logical. The call to uninstall() could
                              then be placed in the b:undo_ftplugin variable you suggested.

                              Vince

                            • Dorai Sitaram
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                                Bram wrote

                                > Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
                                > Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!

                                :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                                silent one (no error message).

                                It doesn't change isi to its current global
                                value; it is a no-op. Try

                                :setg isi=@
                                :setl isi+=+
                                :setl isi<
                                :echo &isi
                              • Dorai Sitaram
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                                  I wrote

                                  > :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                                  > silent one (no error message).
                                  >
                                  > It doesn't change isi to its current global
                                  > value; it is a no-op. Try
                                  >
                                  > :setg isi=@
                                  > :setl isi+=+
                                  > :setl isi<
                                  > :echo &isi

                                  The docs say 'isi' is a global option with no
                                  per-buffer incarnations possible, so the behavior
                                  I mention is expected (since :setl isi is
                                  indistinguishable from :setg isi).

                                  So: It's not a bug (but maybe it should be...).
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                                    Dorai wrote:

                                    > Bram wrote
                                    > >
                                    > > Note that a bug in the source code needs to be fixed for this to work.
                                    > > Apparently nobody tried doing ":setlocal tw<" yet!
                                    > >

                                    > :setl isi< also has a bug, and what's more, it's a
                                    > silent one (no error message).
                                    >
                                    > It doesn't change isi to its current global
                                    > value; it is a no-op. Try
                                    >
                                    > :setg isi=@
                                    > :setl isi+=+
                                    > :setl isi<
                                    > :echo &isi

                                    'isident' is a global option, thus it's always at it's global value.

                                    143. You dream in pallettes of 216 websafe colors.