Vim version 6.2b ALPHA available

    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 27, 2003
      The story continues...

      This is an ALPHA release. This means that it is work in progress!
      Please report anything that looks wrong.

      What is new?
      ------------

      I have included the Arabic patch by Nadim Shaikli & Isam Bayazidi.
      While doing this I noticed various things that had to be changed. If
      something is wrong it's not clear if this is my fault or theirs.
      Anyway, please test and find the problems!

      This adds the 'arabicshape', 'termbidi', 'arabic' and 'righleftcmd'
      options. Most help text is at ":help arabic". You probably need to get
      an Arabic font to be able to edit Arabic text.

      Added support for the neXtaw GUI toolkit. Mostly like Athena. (Alexey
      Froloff)

      Added Cscope support for Win32. (Khorev Sergey)

      What is it not?
      ---------------

      Note that test 49 still fails (it tests the ":try" command). It even
      crashes Vim sometimes. Hopefully this can be fixed soon. A few obvious
      problems have been fixed but that didn't help for test 49.

      I didn't make diff files, I assume all developers can download the whole
      thing. That's easier anyway. I do plan to make diff files between the
      6.1 and 6.2 releases (unless the diff is bigger than the new file!).

      No Amiga binary this time.

      Changed
      -------

      Moved the GvimEXt, OleVim and VisVim directories into the "src" directory.
      This is more consistent with how xxd is handled.

      The VisVim.dll file is installed in the top directory, next to gvimext.dll,
      instead of in a subdirectory "VisVim". Fixes that NSIS was uninstalling it
      from the wrong directory.

      Added
      -----

      Korean menu translations in UTF-8. (Nam SungHyun)

      When selecting an item in the error window to jump to, take some effort to
      find an ordinary window to show the file in (not a preview window).

      Fixed
      -----

      When a tab wraps to the next line, 'listchars' is set and 'foldcolumn' is
      non-zero, only one character of the foldcolumn is highlighted. (Muraoka Taro)

      When using ":catch" without an argument Vim crashes. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      When no argument given use the ".*" pattern.

      Win32: When gvim.exe is started from a shortcut with the window style property
      set to maximize Vim doesn't start with a maximized window. (Yasuhiro
      Matsumoto) Open the window with the default size and don't call ShowWindow()
      again when it's already visible. (Helmut Stiegler)

      gui_gtk.c used MAX, but it's undefined to avoid a conflict with system header
      files.

      Win32: When closing a window from a mapping some pixels remain on the
      statusline. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      A column number in an errorformat that goes beyond the end of the line may
      cause a crash.

      ":throw 'test'" crashes Vim. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

      The file selector's scrollbar colors are not set after doing a ":hi Scrollbar
      guifg=color". And the file selector's colors are not changed by the
      colorscheme command. (David Harrison)

      Motif: When compiling with FEAT_FOOTER defined, the text area gets a few
      pixels extra space on the right. Remove the special case in
      gui_get_base_width(). (David Harrison)

      Using CTRL-R CTRL-P in Insert mode puts the '] mark in the wrong position.
      (Helmut Stiegler)

      Epilogue
      --------

      WARNING: This is an unstable version. Most functionality should work
      fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

      If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out
      why, try to solve it and send me a patch. If you can't do that, at
      least let me know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

      More info about the new 6.2 features with ":help version-6.2".

      If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how
      the new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

      You can find Vim 6.2b here:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      More information about downloading: http://www.vim.org/download.php

      Unix:
      unix/vim-6.2b.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
      unix/vim-6.2b-rt1.tar.gz runtime files part 1
      unix/vim-6.2b-rt2.tar.gz runtime files part 2
      unix/vim-6.2b-src1.tar.gz sources part 1
      unix/vim-6.2b-src2.tar.gz sources part 2

      Various:
      extra/vim-6.2b-extra.tar.gz extra files
      extra/vim-6.2b-lang.tar.gz multi-language files
      doc/vim62bhtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-Windows:
      pc/gvim62b.exe self-installing, includes runtime files
      pc/vim62brt.zip runtime files
      pc/vim62blang.zip extra files for translated messages and menus
      pc/gvim62b.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
      pc/gvim62bole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/vim62bd16.zip 16 bits real mode - works on any system
      pc/vim62bd32.zip 32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
      pc/vim62bw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim62bsrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      Amiga:
      amiga/vim62brt.zip runtime files packed for Amiga
      amiga/vim62bsrc.zip source files packed for Amiga

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      ~#:-( I just washed my hair, and I can't do nuthin' with it.

    • Aschwin Marsman
      Message 41 of 41 , May 1, 2003
        On Thu, 1 May 2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

        > Previously David Brown wrote:
        > > Well, this isn't a bash-CVS mailing list, but just say it is a
        > > consequence of CVS being just a little more than a bunch of RCS files.
        > > The branch does not exist as a cohesive whole. You just have some
        > > subset of your files with an RCS branch. If you're lucky enough to get
        > > your tags right, you might even be able to refer to that same set of
        > > files again.
        >
        > Getting the tags wrong would be an impressive demonstration of not being
        > able to run a very simple command correctly. I've never seen problems
        > with that.

        I haven't seen that sort of problems either. Moving directories is another
        story.

        > Wichert.

        Kind regards,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands