Re: starting with .vim/vimrc, vimfiles/vimrc, or _vimfiles/vimrc [patch]

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
      At 03:12 p.m. 03/04/2003, Charles E. Campbell wrote:
      >Hello!
      >
      >Now that we have the .vim/... directory, I thought it'd be a Good
      >Thing if the vim startup file could be put there, too. Sort of a
      >packaging thing. Anyway, here's a (small) patch that allows your
      >vimrc file to go in any of the following directories:
      >
      > $HOME/.vim/vimrc
      > $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc

      In the same venue, I believe that .viminfo belongs there:

      $HOME/.vim/viminfo # unix(-like)
      $HOME/vimfiles/viminfo # in that other OS I use...
    • Dorai Sitaram
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
        Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote

        > At 03:12 p.m. 03/04/2003, Charles E. Campbell wrote:
        > >Hello!
        > >
        > >Now that we have the .vim/... directory, I thought it'd be a Good
        > >Thing if the vim startup file could be put there, too. Sort of a
        > >packaging thing. Anyway, here's a (small) patch that allows your
        > >vimrc file to go in any of the following directories:
        > >
        > > $HOME/.vim/vimrc
        > > $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
        >
        > In the same venue, I believe that .viminfo belongs there:
        >
        > $HOME/.vim/viminfo # unix(-like)
        > $HOME/vimfiles/viminfo # in that other OS I use...

        .viminfo isn't a user-supplied file, it's a
        vim-generated one, and vim should be able to generate
        it in a directory known to exist. ~/.vim and ~/vimfiles
        aren't guaranteed to exist.
      • Wichert Akkerman
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
          Previously Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
          > In the same venue, I believe that .viminfo belongs there:
          >
          > $HOME/.vim/viminfo # unix(-like)
          > $HOME/vimfiles/viminfo # in that other OS I use...

          Since it's already in a vim-directory, why not rename it to ~/.vim/info ?

          Wichert.

          --
          Wichert Akkerman <wichert@...> http://www.wiggy.net/
          A random hacker
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
            At 05:30 p.m. 03/04/2003, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
            >Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote
            > >
            > > In the same venue, I believe that .viminfo belongs there:
            > >
            > > $HOME/.vim/viminfo # unix(-like)
            > > $HOME/vimfiles/viminfo # in that other OS I use...
            >
            >.viminfo isn't a user-supplied file, it's a
            >vim-generated one, and vim should be able to generate
            >it in a directory known to exist. ~/.vim and ~/vimfiles
            >aren't guaranteed to exist.

            Not to ignite a flame war (which I would not stoop to participate in
            it, anyway), but:

            Most modern (notice I did not say contemporaneous) Unix applications I've
            used lately ---as in written after 1990--- say OpenSSH, GPG, GnuStep, nget,
            Midnight Commander, even XEmacs (gasp! ;-) just to mention the ones that
            come to my mind off-hand, can create private settings directories with
            whole hierarchies of junk in them, *on their own*, why can't vim as well?

            Creating such directory hierarchies without opening security holes is a
            matter of judicious programming, not screaming wolf at the sole thought of it.
          • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
              At 04:59 a.m. 04/04/2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

              >Since it's already in a vim-directory, why not rename it to ~/.vim/info ?

              Good thinking, nice thinking. Very K.I.S.S.
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
                Charles Campbell wrote:

                > Now that we have the .vim/... directory, I thought it'd be a Good
                > Thing if the vim startup file could be put there, too. Sort of a
                > packaging thing. Anyway, here's a (small) patch that allows your
                > vimrc file to go in any of the following directories:
                >
                > $HOME/.vim/vimrc
                > $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
                > $HOME/_vimfiles/vimrc

                This discussion of moving vimrc and viminfo into the ".vim" directory
                was held before. The point is that changing this will make Vim more
                complicated. Demands for backwards compatibility and mixing two
                versions of Vim are hard to solve and to explain. Questions need to be
                answered, e.g.: What if both "~/.vimrc" and "~/.vim/vimrc" exist?

                The advantage of a slightly cleaner use of files isn't big enough to
                justify making these changes.

                --
                ARTHUR: You fight with the strength of many men, Sir knight.
                I am Arthur, King of the Britons. [pause]