Re: Patch 6.1.424 (extra)

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > In message <200303311808.h2VI8fP08776@...> of Mon, 31 Mar 2003
      > 20:08:41 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
      > >
      > >Patch 6.1.424 (extra)
      > >Problem: Win32: Gvim compiled with VC++ 7.0 run on Windows 95 does not show
      > > menu items.
      > >Solution: Define $WINVER to avoid an extra item is added to MENUITEMINFO.
      > > (Muraoka Taro)
      > >Files: src/Make_mvc.mak
      > When this change was proposed, I asked if a corresponding change should
      > be made to Make_ivc.mak; I got no response. I seem to recall that we
      > were not told why the change worked. I suppose I should wait for
      > somebody to complain about such a problem. I shall probably run VC 7.x
      > on my next machine when I buy it. Hopefully, nobody else will use such a
      > perverse combination of environment choices.

      I hesitated to include this change, since I also don't quite understand
      how it works. The Make_bc5.mak makefile contains the same construction,
      that's probably a hint that it does work and not cause trouble.

      To try out this change requires VC 7.0, which I don't have. For
      Make_ivc.mak you have to find out what is the best place to add it. And
      to test it you need to compile Vim with VC 7.0 (probably on Win XP) and
      test it on Win 95. Only for people who have a whole row of computers!
      :-)

      --
      FIRST HEAD: Oh! quick! get the sword out I want to cut his head off.
      THIRD HEAD: Oh, cut your own head off.

    • Neil Bird
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        Around about 01/04/2003 09:33, Bram Moolenaar typed ...
        > I hesitated to include this change, since I also don't quite understand
        > how it works. The Make_bc5.mak makefile contains the same construction,
        > that's probably a hint that it does work and not cause trouble.

        'WINVER' is used to select which set of Windows headers to use, and
        hence define backwards compatibility. Up to and including DevStudio 6
        (which we have here), the default is 0x0400 which should give pretty
        much full backwards compatibility.

        Some of our team have had to explicitly set it to 0x0500 to engage
        some W2K features. I guess the default for DS7/.NET is now 0x0400.

        I would say that any DS build ought to specify WINVER=0x0400; I
        can't say whether WINVER is used by any other W32 compilers though.

        --
        [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
        [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
          At 05:47 a.m. 01/04/2003, Neil Bird wrote:
          > I would say that any DS build ought to specify WINVER=0x0400; I can't
          > say whether WINVER is used by any other W32 compilers though.

          It is an option of the Win32 API library and headers. All compilers can use it.