Re: Printing patch - user selectable encodings.

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2 11:35 AM
      On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 04:00:07PM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:
      > Hi,
      > At last some free time :) Attached are patches and new runtime files
      > to support print-time selectable font character encodings with
      > PostScript printing, first discussed a couple of weeks ago.

      Great :)
      I have made some experiments with various encodings but
      it did not working for me. Probably I don't know enough
      about ps :(

      > The aim of this patch is to purely support 8-bit character printing
      > (although utf-8 single byte characters will also be printed - multi-
      > byte characters are still replaced with spaces!) The PS resource
      > files have been renamed and relocated to a new runtime directory
      > called 'print' (see print.zip). VIm now looks for the resource files
      > according to 'runtimepath', so you can create your own versions.
      > Included is a new font encoding file to support latin2/iso-8859-2
      > encoding. Additional encodings can be supported by just writing new
      > resource files.

      I found some places with encoding vector tables for iso. Where should I
      send vim files for this encodings? To you for testing or here (dev-list)
      or to Bram?

      > The patch was created against 6.1p312 and has only been compiled and
      > tested on Win2K with VC6sp5.

      Or is it possible to unpatch source with Patch files which Bram is
      sending? Hmm. -R option looks nice. OK patches reversed, patches applied
      and... don't work :( Compiled without problems, make test ALL DONE,
      recognizes printencoding option (complete patch should also take care
      about tags file, interesting, there are items about errors), hardcopy
      command but doesn't printing at all.

      Here is the proper line
      'printencoding' options.txt /*'printencoding'*

      Mdk9, gcc 3.2,

      Some remarks about patches:
      String (default empty, except for:
      + PC: cp1250,
      + Macintosh: mac,
      + VMS: vms,
      + EBCDIC: ebcdic)

      s/PC/MS-Windows/
      Linux is also PC :)

      s/cp1250/cp1252/
      cp1250 is East European encoding. For western languages MS standard is
      cp1252 (IIRC this is equal to latin1, but with MS nobody knows... ;). The
      same in line 43 of src.diff.

      m.
    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2 4:03 PM
        On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:35:25PM +0100, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
        > > The patch was created against 6.1p312 and has only been compiled and
        > > tested on Win2K with VC6sp5.
        > Or is it possible to unpatch source with Patch files which Bram is
        > sending? Hmm. -R option looks nice. OK patches reversed, patches applied
        > and... don't work :( Compiled without problems, make test ALL DONE,
        > recognizes printencoding option hardcopy command but doesn't printing at all.

        I wasn't very precise. After writing file with one line:

        Jaźń zażółć gęślą.

        (test line for pletters). And issuing :hardcopy > test.ps command I am
        getting this (printencoding is set in .vimrc to iso-8859-2):
        -------------------
        %!PS-Adobe-3.0
        %%Title: ttttt
        %%For: Unknown
        %%Creator: VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24)
        %%CreationDate: Mon Feb 3 00:55:07 2003
        %%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
        %%Orientation: Portrait
        %%Pages: (atend)
        %%PageOrder: Ascend
        %%BoundingBox: 59 49 564 800
        %%DocumentMedia: A4 595 842 0 () ()
        %%DocumentNeededResources: font Courier Courier-Bold Courier-Oblique Courier-BoldOblique
        -------------------

        vim 6.1.312 with Mike's patch, --enable-gui=gtk --with-features=big
        (+printer +postscript are there). gcc 3.2, Mdk9. Removed all *.ps files
        from /usr/local/share/vim/vim61.

        Mikolaj
      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3 4:44 AM
          Hi

          On 3 Feb 2003 at 1:03, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

          > I wasn't very precise. After writing file with one line:
          >
          > Ja za ¢ g l .
          >
          > (test line for pletters). And issuing :hardcopy > test.ps command I am
          > getting this (printencoding is set in .vimrc to iso-8859-2):
          > -------------------
          > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
          > %%Title: ttttt
          > %%For: Unknown
          > %%Creator: VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24)
          > %%CreationDate: Mon Feb 3 00:55:07 2003
          > %%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
          > %%Orientation: Portrait
          > %%Pages: (atend)
          > %%PageOrder: Ascend
          > %%BoundingBox: 59 49 564 800
          > %%DocumentMedia: A4 595 842 0 () ()
          > %%DocumentNeededResources: font Courier Courier-Bold Courier-Oblique Courier-BoldOblique
          > -------------------

          Ok, looks like VIM could not find the encoding resource file - the
          next thing it does after writing out the document needed resources.
          And the code is missing putting out an error message when this
          happens. It will be in the next patch sent out.

          Make sure the file iso-8859-2 is in either $VIMRUNTIME/print or in a
          subdirectory called print in a directory in your runtimepath -
          ~/.vim/print I guess if you are using Linux.

          Mike
          --
          A swift kick in the butt is no way to get a dragon's attention.
        • Mike Williams
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 3 4:44 AM
            Hi,

            On 2 Feb 2003 at 20:35, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

            > On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 04:00:07PM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:

            > I found some places with encoding vector tables for iso. Where should I
            > send vim files for this encodings? To you for testing or here (dev-list)
            > or to Bram?

            Best to send them to the list to be picked up by whoever when they
            can. I guess early candidates are the tables from a2ps and enscript.

            > > The patch was created against 6.1p312 and has only been compiled and
            > > tested on Win2K with VC6sp5.
            >
            > Or is it possible to unpatch source with Patch files which Bram is
            > sending? Hmm. -R option looks nice. OK patches reversed, patches applied
            > and... don't work :( Compiled without problems, make test ALL DONE,
            > recognizes printencoding option (complete patch should also take care
            > about tags file, interesting, there are items about errors), hardcopy
            > command but doesn't printing at all.
            >
            > Here is the proper line
            > 'printencoding' options.txt /*'printencoding'*

            Thanks.

            > Some remarks about patches:
            > String (default empty, except for:
            > + PC: cp1250,
            > + Macintosh: mac,
            > + VMS: vms,
            > + EBCDIC: ebcdic)
            >
            > s/PC/MS-Windows/
            > Linux is also PC :)

            Ok, what I wasn't sure about is OS2 - I know it was supposed to be an
            equivalent Windows platform but I don't know if this is also true for
            code page support. And then there is still good ol' DOS - shudder.
            Trying to define the similarities and differences between MS-DOS,
            Win16, Win32, and OS/2 is not clear. I guess MS-DOS, Windows, and
            OS/2 is the best thing to put in.

            Hmm, 'runtimepath' does not equate PC with Linux, assuming Linux is
            implicit under Unix. ;-)

            > s/cp1250/cp1252/
            > cp1250 is East European encoding. For western languages MS standard is
            > cp1252 (IIRC this is equal to latin1, but with MS nobody knows... ;). The
            > same in line 43 of src.diff.

            Yep, you're right - getting my codepages mixed up. cp1252 is latin1
            with some extra characters, as opposed to cp1250 being latin2 but
            with both some characters in different positions and extra
            characters.

            I'll redo the patch collection with the changes, and fix compilation
            without multi-byte.

            TTFN

            Mike
            --
            My aura can beat up your aura.
          • Mike Williams
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 3 4:55 AM
              Hi,

              New set of patches based on feedback so far:

              1) Fixed compilation failures when compiling without multi-byte
              support (slapped wrist),
              2) Report failure to find PS resource file,
              3) Correct name of default encoding file on DOS/WIN/OS2 to cp1250
              (please delete file print/cp1252),
              4) Minor corrections and additions to docs.

              Still against 6.1p312.

              TTFN

              Mike
              --
              Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.
            • Mikolaj Machowski
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 3 12:49 PM
                On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:55:49PM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:
                > Hi,
                > New set of patches based on feedback so far:
                > 1) Fixed compilation failures when compiling without multi-byte
                > support (slapped wrist),
                > 2) Report failure to find PS resource file,
                > 3) Correct name of default encoding file on DOS/WIN/OS2 to cp1250
                > (please delete file print/cp1252),
                > 4) Minor corrections and additions to docs.
                > Still against 6.1p312.

                Everything works :)

                One small thing. Add this line to vim.vim syntax file to highlight new
                option's name:

                syn keyword vimOption contained printencoding penc

                And here is collection of encoding vector files:
                print2.zip/print
                cp1250 - East Europe MS encoding
                iso-8859-1 - propably redundant but I am not sure if Vim takes care
                about this value (translates it into latin1 before proceeding)
                iso-8899-3
                iso-8899-4
                iso-8899-5 - Cyrillic
                iso-8899-7 - Greek
                iso-8899-9
                iso-8899-10
                iso-8899-11 - Thai
                iso-8899-13
                iso-8899-14
                iso-8899-15 - West Europe encoding (euro sign)
                koi8-r - Russian cyrillic

                Mikolaj
              • Mikolaj Machowski
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 3 1:37 PM
                  On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:49:41PM +0100, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
                  > Everything works :)
                  > One small thing. Add this line to vim.vim syntax file to highlight new
                  > option's name:
                  > syn keyword vimOption contained printencoding penc
                  > And here is collection of encoding vector files:
                  > print2.zip/print
                  > cp1250 - East Europe MS encoding
                  > iso-8859-1 - propably redundant but I am not sure if Vim takes care
                  > about this value (translates it into latin1 before proceeding)
                  > iso-8899-3
                  > iso-8899-4
                  > iso-8899-5 - Cyrillic
                  > iso-8899-7 - Greek
                  > iso-8899-9
                  > iso-8899-10
                  > iso-8899-11 - Thai
                  > iso-8899-13
                  > iso-8899-14
                  > iso-8899-15 - West Europe encoding (euro sign)
                  > koi8-r - Russian cyrillic
                  > Mikolaj

                  Sorry, I forgot about attachement...

                  m.
                • Mike Williams
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4 2:51 AM
                    Thanks - I'll start checking them this week.

                    Since the plan is to name the encoding files using the values for
                    'encoding' that VIM uses (as returned by :set encoding), the file for
                    iso-8859-1 is called latin1. This is a slight inconsistency since
                    all other values of latinx are converted to iso-8859-x - ho hum.

                    The downside is if you compile VIM without multi-byte support,
                    'printencoding' does not get converted to a standard name, so if you
                    set it to latin2 VIM looks for a latin2 encoding file and will fail.
                    I'll add something to the documentation about this.

                    I thought about supporting a mapping file that mapped from
                    alternative encoding names to a single file, but that feels like
                    duplicating information already within VIM. Perhaps the solution is
                    to have the encoding name translation in mbyte.c build when PS
                    printing is enabled.

                    TTFN

                    On 3 Feb 2003 at 22:37, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

                    > On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:49:41PM +0100, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
                    > > Everything works :)
                    > > One small thing. Add this line to vim.vim syntax file to highlight new
                    > > option's name:
                    > > syn keyword vimOption contained printencoding penc
                    > > And here is collection of encoding vector files:
                    > > print2.zip/print
                    > > cp1250 - East Europe MS encoding
                    > > iso-8859-1 - propably redundant but I am not sure if Vim takes care
                    > > about this value (translates it into latin1 before proceeding)
                    > > iso-8899-3
                    > > iso-8899-4
                    > > iso-8899-5 - Cyrillic
                    > > iso-8899-7 - Greek
                    > > iso-8899-9
                    > > iso-8899-10
                    > > iso-8899-11 - Thai
                    > > iso-8899-13
                    > > iso-8899-14
                    > > iso-8899-15 - West Europe encoding (euro sign)
                    > > koi8-r - Russian cyrillic
                    > > Mikolaj
                    >
                    > Sorry, I forgot about attachement...
                    >
                    > m.

                    Mike
                    --
                    Actual newspaper headline: Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4 2:15 PM
                      Mike Williams wrote:

                      > Since the plan is to name the encoding files using the values for
                      > 'encoding' that VIM uses (as returned by :set encoding), the file for
                      > iso-8859-1 is called latin1. This is a slight inconsistency since
                      > all other values of latinx are converted to iso-8859-x - ho hum.

                      Well, "latin1" is a special value, since it's the default and might
                      actually be used for any 8-bit encoding if you don't care to set
                      'encoding'. Of course it has nothing to do with me writing text in
                      latin1 all the time. :-)

                      > The downside is if you compile VIM without multi-byte support,
                      > 'printencoding' does not get converted to a standard name, so if you
                      > set it to latin2 VIM looks for a latin2 encoding file and will fail.
                      > I'll add something to the documentation about this.
                      >
                      > I thought about supporting a mapping file that mapped from
                      > alternative encoding names to a single file, but that feels like
                      > duplicating information already within VIM. Perhaps the solution is
                      > to have the encoding name translation in mbyte.c build when PS
                      > printing is enabled.

                      If the printing code needs the enc_canonize() function, it can probably
                      be made to be included without multi-byte support. Just change a few
                      #ifdefs. enc_canonize() is also used for 8-bit encoding names, thus
                      it's not multi-byte-only.

                      - Bram

                      122. You ask if the Netaholics Anonymous t-shirt you ordered can be
                      sent to you via e-mail.

                    • Mike Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 5 2:53 AM
                        On 4 Feb 2003 at 23:15, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > If the printing code needs the enc_canonize() function, it can probably
                        > be made to be included without multi-byte support. Just change a few
                        > #ifdefs. enc_canonize() is also used for 8-bit encoding names, thus
                        > it's not multi-byte-only.

                        Fair enough, I'll have a stab at it this week. It would certainly
                        make the use of printencoding consistent across types of build.

                        Mike
                        --
                        I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
                      • Mike Williams
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 6 2:29 AM
                          Patch version #3 (hopefully on the home straight now ;-)

                          On 4 Feb 2003 at 23:15, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                          > If the printing code needs the enc_canonize() function, it can probably
                          > be made to be included without multi-byte support. Just change a few
                          > #ifdefs. enc_canonize() is also used for 8-bit encoding names, thus
                          > it's not multi-byte-only.

                          enc_canonize() et al now included when building with PostScript but
                          not multi-byte. Doc for 'printencoding' has also been updated in
                          line.

                          I have also removed setting a default encoding for DOS (and updated
                          the doc). Ideally this would be cp850 (ah, the good ol' days) and I
                          don't have an encoding for it yet. Does anyone actually use hardcopy
                          on DOS?

                          There is also new encoding files for iso-8859-3, -4 and cp1250.

                          And there is also a patch (untested) to update Makefile for
                          installing the new runtime files. If someone can test it and see if
                          there are any problems I would appreciate it.

                          As before, patch is against 6.1p312.

                          TTFN

                          Mike
                          --
                          You are not really successful until someone claims they sat beside you in
                          school.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 9 11:01 AM
                            Patch v#4 - sigh.

                            This looks like a good one now.

                            The only changes from the last one are a more complete set of
                            encodings - iso and Windows code pages - except for Arabic. Once
                            Arabic support is in I will post files for cp1256 and iso-8859-6.
                            There is also koi8-r and koi8-u. There is now a default encoding for
                            HPUX as well. In total there are 26 files so I don't promise there
                            are no mistakes.

                            Also, since the encodings are now user extensible I have renamed the
                            default Mac, VMS, and EBCDIC encoding files to be more
                            standard/specific and to avoid possible clashes, and updated the code
                            and documentation with the new names. Finally, I have reviewed all
                            the encodings, and have made some small changes to make them
                            consistent and bring them more in to line with what copies of the
                            various references I could lay my hands on.

                            I suggest that if there are no problems with the source patches that
                            any changes needed to the encoding files be done as subsequent
                            patches, otherwise I could be posting large patches for a while yet.

                            Still against 6.1p312. Blow away any previous vimruntime/print
                            directories you have please.

                            TTFN

                            Mike
                          • Mikolaj Machowski
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 10 4:00 AM
                              On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:01:02PM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:
                              > Patch v#4 - sigh.
                              > This looks like a good one now.

                              It looks nice for me.

                              Another idea, not so important as printing but still...

                              line 2834 in ex_cmds2.c:
                              sprintf((char *)tbuf, "Page %d", pagenum);

                              "Page" is hardcoded in source. Since there is i18n of printing it would
                              be nice to see language versions for this :)

                              m.
                            • Mike Williams
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 11 1:12 AM
                                Ok, I'll look into this to - at a first glance looks like we might
                                want to have alternate default 'printheader' values depending on
                                whether FEAT_STL_OPT is defind or not. Or should it just be made a
                                customisable string a la _("Page")?

                                TTFN

                                On 10 Feb 2003 at 13:00, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

                                > On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:01:02PM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:
                                > > Patch v#4 - sigh.
                                > > This looks like a good one now.
                                >
                                > It looks nice for me.
                                >
                                > Another idea, not so important as printing but still...
                                >
                                > line 2834 in ex_cmds2.c:
                                > sprintf((char *)tbuf, "Page %d", pagenum);
                                >
                                > "Page" is hardcoded in source. Since there is i18n of printing it would
                                > be nice to see language versions for this :)
                                >
                                > m.

                                Mike
                                --
                                My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours.
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 11 2:12 AM
                                  Mike Williams wrote:

                                  > Ok, I'll look into this to - at a first glance looks like we might
                                  > want to have alternate default 'printheader' values depending on
                                  > whether FEAT_STL_OPT is defind or not. Or should it just be made a
                                  > customisable string a la _("Page")?

                                  Using _("Page %d") should be sufficient. If someone really wants a page
                                  header in a language different from the messages he can use
                                  'printheader'.

                                  Oh, but the default 'printheader' also includes "Page", thus we should
                                  put N_() around that. Hmm, that's actually not working yet. Same for
                                  'titleold', thus that's a bug.

                                  194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.

                                • Mike Williams
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 12 1:17 AM
                                    On 11 Feb 2003 at 11:12, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                    > > Ok, I'll look into this to - at a first glance looks like we might
                                    > > want to have alternate default 'printheader' values depending on
                                    > > whether FEAT_STL_OPT is defind or not. Or should it just be made a
                                    > > customisable string a la _("Page")?
                                    >
                                    > Using _("Page %d") should be sufficient. If someone really wants a page
                                    > header in a language different from the messages he can use
                                    > 'printheader'.
                                    >
                                    > Oh, but the default 'printheader' also includes "Page", thus we should
                                    > put N_() around that. Hmm, that's actually not working yet. Same for
                                    > 'titleold', thus that's a bug.

                                    Is there any point supplying you with a patch when it is so small and
                                    you already know what to do? ;-)

                                    Mike
                                    --
                                    Damnation: A beaver colony.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 12 2:29 AM
                                      Mike Williams wrote:

                                      > On 11 Feb 2003 at 11:12, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > > Ok, I'll look into this to - at a first glance looks like we might
                                      > > > want to have alternate default 'printheader' values depending on
                                      > > > whether FEAT_STL_OPT is defind or not. Or should it just be made a
                                      > > > customisable string a la _("Page")?
                                      > >
                                      > > Using _("Page %d") should be sufficient. If someone really wants a page
                                      > > header in a language different from the messages he can use
                                      > > 'printheader'.
                                      > >
                                      > > Oh, but the default 'printheader' also includes "Page", thus we should
                                      > > put N_() around that. Hmm, that's actually not working yet. Same for
                                      > > 'titleold', thus that's a bug.
                                      >
                                      > Is there any point supplying you with a patch when it is so small and
                                      > you already know what to do? ;-)

                                      Actually, small patches are always good. Shows me how it's done and
                                      might remind me of a relevant issue. For a big patch that does a global
                                      change it's sometimes better to explain what it changes. That's easier
                                      to understand.

                                      --
                                      $ echo pizza > /dev/oven

                                    • Mike Williams
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 14 1:43 AM
                                        On 12 Feb 2003 at 11:29, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                        > Actually, small patches are always good. Shows me how it's done and
                                        > might remind me of a relevant issue. For a big patch that does a global
                                        > change it's sometimes better to explain what it changes. That's easier
                                        > to understand.

                                        One small patch, as requested. Done against 6.1p320

                                        *** option.c.orig Mon Jan 20 10:07:07 2003
                                        --- option.c Fri Feb 14 09:39:47 2003
                                        ***************
                                        *** 1558,1564 ****
                                        {"printheader", "pheader", P_STRING|P_VI_DEF,
                                        #ifdef FEAT_PRINTER
                                        (char_u *)&p_header, PV_NONE,
                                        ! {(char_u *)"%<%f%h%m%=Page %N", (char_u *)0L}
                                        #else
                                        (char_u *)NULL, PV_NONE,
                                        {(char_u *)NULL, (char_u *)0L}
                                        --- 1558,1564 ----
                                        {"printheader", "pheader", P_STRING|P_VI_DEF,
                                        #ifdef FEAT_PRINTER
                                        (char_u *)&p_header, PV_NONE,
                                        ! {(char_u *)N_("%<%f%h%m%=Page %N"), (char_u *)0L}
                                        #else
                                        (char_u *)NULL, PV_NONE,
                                        {(char_u *)NULL, (char_u *)0L}
                                        *** ex_cmds2.c.orig Tue Feb 11 21:16:14 2003
                                        --- ex_cmds2.c Fri Feb 14 09:40:01 2003
                                        ***************
                                        *** 2841,2847 ****
                                        }
                                        else
                                        #endif
                                        ! sprintf((char *)tbuf, "Page %d", pagenum);

                                        prt_set_fg(COLOR_BLACK);
                                        prt_set_bg(COLOR_WHITE);
                                        --- 2841,2847 ----
                                        }
                                        else
                                        #endif
                                        ! sprintf((char *)tbuf, _("Page %d"), pagenum);

                                        prt_set_fg(COLOR_BLACK);
                                        prt_set_bg(COLOR_WHITE);

                                        Mike
                                        --
                                        Into each life some rain must fall - usually on the weekends.
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 14 1:54 AM
                                          Mike Williams wrote:

                                          > On 12 Feb 2003 at 11:29, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Actually, small patches are always good. Shows me how it's done and
                                          > > might remind me of a relevant issue. For a big patch that does a global
                                          > > change it's sometimes better to explain what it changes. That's easier
                                          > > to understand.
                                          >
                                          > One small patch, as requested. Done against 6.1p320

                                          Thanks, I'll include it.

                                          Still need to find a way to get default option values translated...

                                          --
                                          You can tune a file system, but you can't tuna fish
                                          -- man tunefs