Re: defining keymaps

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

      > Well, I finally started feeling the start of carpal tunnel syndrome..., and
      > has bitten the bullet.
      >
      > I am writing a keymap file to help me writing high-ASCII codes for groff
      > (I'll send it along the finished work, Bram).
      >
      > Now, I have a thorn on my side. I can't use <char-> codes in the LHS of the
      > keymap table. Perhaps this was discussed before and still sounds like a
      > silly request (but considering the scarcity of existing keymaps, perhaps
      > this hasn't been talked before). I feel it can be a very powerful feature
      > because it would help protect the high-ASCII from corruption (say, one
      > loads a Hebrew mapping in UTF-8 and saves it in latin1 inadvertently). One
      > never knows really what each key in the keyboard maps to what character in
      > what encoding, so it would be better to just use keycodes; <char-0x61> maps
      > to aacute in my keyboard because the OS I use defaults to a super-set of
      > ISO-8859-1 but I am just lucky.

      The characters on the LHS of the keymap are supposed to be characters
      that your keyboard produces. These are the literal characters. They
      only work for one 'encoding'. Although they are the same for latin1 and
      UTF-8, since the first 256 characters of UTF-8 are latin1. But that's
      probably the only exception, this is not a generic mechanism. You can
      also use ":scriptencoding".

      --
      A fool learns from his mistakes, a wise man from someone elses.