Re: bug? vim --serverlist starts vim normally

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
      On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:16:14PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:
      > Ricardo Signes wrote:
      >
      > > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
      > > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
      > > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
      > >
      > > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?
      >
      > Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
      > give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.
      >
      > I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
      > appropriate.

      More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
      only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
      terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
      unclear.

      I'd suggest changing the first line of the first para in *clientserver* to
      "When compiled with the |+clientserver| option, Vim can act as a command server
      when using the GUI."

      --
      rjbs
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
        Ricardo Signes wrote:

        > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
        > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
        > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
        > unclear.

        The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
        though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

        --
        CONCORDE: Message for you, sir.
        He falls forward revealing the arrow with the note.

      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
          On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:29:35PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:

          > Ricardo Signes wrote:
          >
          > > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
          > > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
          > > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
          > > unclear.
          >
          > The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
          > though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

          But only if X can be contacted (in 'nix)?

          Now I'm really confused! I think this is a documentation shortcoming.
          Throwing an error under the initially described condition sounds good, but I
          think the documentation is the bigger problem. I guess I didn't realize until
          now that without X11, there is no unix clientserver for Vim.

          --
          rjbs