Re: bug? vim --serverlist starts vim normally

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
      Ricardo Signes wrote:

      > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
      > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
      > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
      >
      > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

      Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
      give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.

      I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
      appropriate.

      --
      I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.

    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
        On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:16:14PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:
        > Ricardo Signes wrote:
        >
        > > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
        > > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
        > > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
        > >
        > > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?
        >
        > Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
        > give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.
        >
        > I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
        > appropriate.

        More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
        only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
        terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
        unclear.

        I'd suggest changing the first line of the first para in *clientserver* to
        "When compiled with the |+clientserver| option, Vim can act as a command server
        when using the GUI."

        --
        rjbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
          Ricardo Signes wrote:

          > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
          > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
          > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
          > unclear.

          The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
          though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

          --
          CONCORDE: Message for you, sir.
          He falls forward revealing the arrow with the note.

        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
            On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:29:35PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:

            > Ricardo Signes wrote:
            >
            > > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
            > > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
            > > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
            > > unclear.
            >
            > The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
            > though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

            But only if X can be contacted (in 'nix)?

            Now I'm really confused! I think this is a documentation shortcoming.
            Throwing an error under the initially described condition sounds good, but I
            think the documentation is the bigger problem. I guess I didn't realize until
            now that without X11, there is no unix clientserver for Vim.

            --
            rjbs