Re: bug? vim --serverlist starts vim normally

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
      On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:34:41PM -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > I'm running Vim 6.1.267
      > When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.
      > I should get a list of servers, or nothing.

      Update:

      When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a terminal under
      X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the console or a remote
      session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.

      Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

      --
      rjbs
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
        Ricardo Signes wrote:

        > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
        > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
        > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
        >
        > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

        Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
        give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.

        I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
        appropriate.

        --
        I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.

      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
          On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:16:14PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:
          > Ricardo Signes wrote:
          >
          > > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
          > > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
          > > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
          > >
          > > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?
          >
          > Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
          > give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.
          >
          > I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
          > appropriate.

          More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
          only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
          terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
          unclear.

          I'd suggest changing the first line of the first para in *clientserver* to
          "When compiled with the |+clientserver| option, Vim can act as a command server
          when using the GUI."

          --
          rjbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
            Ricardo Signes wrote:

            > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
            > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
            > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
            > unclear.

            The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
            though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

            --
            CONCORDE: Message for you, sir.
            He falls forward revealing the arrow with the note.

          • Ricardo SIGNES
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
              On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:29:35PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:

              > Ricardo Signes wrote:
              >
              > > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
              > > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
              > > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
              > > unclear.
              >
              > The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
              > though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

              But only if X can be contacted (in 'nix)?

              Now I'm really confused! I think this is a documentation shortcoming.
              Throwing an error under the initially described condition sounds good, but I
              think the documentation is the bigger problem. I guess I didn't realize until
              now that without X11, there is no unix clientserver for Vim.

              --
              rjbs