Re: bug? vim --serverlist starts vim normally

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
      Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > I'm running Vim 6.1.267
      >
      > When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.
      >
      > I should get a list of servers, or nothing.
      >
      > The output of :version follows
      [snip]

      It behaves as expected here (Red Hat 8.0, four patches behind).

      --Benji Fisher
    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
        On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:34:41PM -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > I'm running Vim 6.1.267
        > When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.
        > I should get a list of servers, or nothing.

        Update:

        When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a terminal under
        X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the console or a remote
        session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.

        Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

        --
        rjbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
          Ricardo Signes wrote:

          > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
          > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
          > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
          >
          > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

          Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
          give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.

          I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
          appropriate.

          --
          I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.

        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
            On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:16:14PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:
            > Ricardo Signes wrote:
            >
            > > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
            > > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
            > > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
            > >
            > > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?
            >
            > Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
            > give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.
            >
            > I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
            > appropriate.

            More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
            only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
            terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
            unclear.

            I'd suggest changing the first line of the first para in *clientserver* to
            "When compiled with the |+clientserver| option, Vim can act as a command server
            when using the GUI."

            --
            rjbs
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
              Ricardo Signes wrote:

              > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
              > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
              > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
              > unclear.

              The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
              though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

              --
              CONCORDE: Message for you, sir.
              He falls forward revealing the arrow with the note.

            • Ricardo SIGNES
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
                On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:29:35PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:

                > Ricardo Signes wrote:
                >
                > > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
                > > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
                > > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
                > > unclear.
                >
                > The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
                > though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

                But only if X can be contacted (in 'nix)?

                Now I'm really confused! I think this is a documentation shortcoming.
                Throwing an error under the initially described condition sounds good, but I
                think the documentation is the bigger problem. I guess I didn't realize until
                now that without X11, there is no unix clientserver for Vim.

                --
                rjbs