bug? vim --serverlist starts vim normally

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
      I'm running Vim 6.1.267

      When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.

      I should get a list of servers, or nothing.

      The output of :version follows

      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Jan 2 2003 13:39:20)
      Included patches: 1-267
      Compiled by samael@humptydumpty
      Normal version with GTK GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard
      +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff
      +digraphs -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap
      +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse
      +mouseshape -mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte
      +multi_lang -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby
      +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
      +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar
      +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore
      +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/local/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
      Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl

      --
      rjbs
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
        Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > I'm running Vim 6.1.267
        >
        > When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.
        >
        > I should get a list of servers, or nothing.
        >
        > The output of :version follows
        [snip]

        It behaves as expected here (Red Hat 8.0, four patches behind).

        --Benji Fisher
      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
          On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:34:41PM -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > I'm running Vim 6.1.267
          > When running at the console, if I run vim --serverlist, Vim starts normally.
          > I should get a list of servers, or nothing.

          Update:

          When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a terminal under
          X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the console or a remote
          session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.

          Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

          --
          rjbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
            Ricardo Signes wrote:

            > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
            > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
            > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
            >
            > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?

            Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
            give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.

            I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
            appropriate.

            --
            I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.

          • Ricardo SIGNES
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
              On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:16:14PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:
              > Ricardo Signes wrote:
              >
              > > When running "vim --serverlist" or "gvim --serverlist" under a
              > > terminal under X, I get a list of servers. When running it from the
              > > console or a remote session (pty), Vim starts, ignoring the option.
              > >
              > > Is --serverlist ignored if an X display is not available?
              >
              > Right, when the X server can't be contacted "vim --serverlist" doesn't
              > give a warning and starts as if no arguments were given.
              >
              > I suppose this shouldn't happen, exiting with an error message is more
              > appropriate.

              More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
              only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
              terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
              unclear.

              I'd suggest changing the first line of the first para in *clientserver* to
              "When compiled with the |+clientserver| option, Vim can act as a command server
              when using the GUI."

              --
              rjbs
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
                Ricardo Signes wrote:

                > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
                > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
                > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
                > unclear.

                The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
                though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

                --
                CONCORDE: Message for you, sir.
                He falls forward revealing the arrow with the note.

              • Ricardo SIGNES
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
                  On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:29:35PM +0100, Bram MOOLENAAR wrote:

                  > Ricardo Signes wrote:
                  >
                  > > More importantly (imho), :help clientserver should explicitely state that
                  > > only gVim can be a server. While most of the example commands are gVim, the
                  > > terminal command is vim. I know why it works, etc, but it makes things
                  > > unclear.
                  >
                  > The console Vim can also become a server. It's not done by default
                  > though, you need to pass the --servername argument.

                  But only if X can be contacted (in 'nix)?

                  Now I'm really confused! I think this is a documentation shortcoming.
                  Throwing an error under the initially described condition sounds good, but I
                  think the documentation is the bigger problem. I guess I didn't realize until
                  now that without X11, there is no unix clientserver for Vim.

                  --
                  rjbs