Re: Patch 6.1.270

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
      Around about 02/01/2003 20:33, Bram Moolenaar typed ...
      > Patch 6.1.270 (depends on 6.1.260)
      > Problem: GCC 3.2.1 still seems to have an optimizer problem.
      > Solution: Use the same configure check as used for GCC 3.1.
      > Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in

      Has a gcc bug been raised on this?

      --
      [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
      [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > Around about 02/01/2003 20:33, Bram Moolenaar typed ...
        > > Patch 6.1.270 (depends on 6.1.260)
        > > Problem: GCC 3.2.1 still seems to have an optimizer problem.
        > > Solution: Use the same configure check as used for GCC 3.1.
        > > Files: src/auto/configure, src/configure.in
        >
        > Has a gcc bug been raised on this?

        Not by me. I don't know exactly where the problem is. It probably
        requires sending in the produced assembly code to be able to show
        exactly what the problem is.

        If the problem is with calling smsg(), the patch I sent for that might
        also fix the problem. Apparently gcc has trouble with C code that works
        with all other C compilers.

        --
        The greatest lies of all time:
        (1) The check is in the mail.

      • Nix
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
          On Fri, 03 Jan 2003, Bram Moolenaar moaned:
          > If the problem is with calling smsg(), the patch I sent for that might
          > also fix the problem. Apparently gcc has trouble with C code that works
          > with all other C compilers.

          The smsg() bug may also appear in (the compiler that used to be called)
          KAI C++, and on very new versions of (what used to be) the DEC Alpha C
          compiler, as they implement the same optimization as GCC does (which is
          being torpedoed by the redefinition of smsg() with a different
          prototype).

          --
          `I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
          of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva