default font in gtk-gvim (RH 8.0)

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2002
      In Red Hat 8.0, gtk-gvim chooses a default font that displays some
      characters, such as "\xab", as double-wide. This can really screw up
      the display. :-( I am not sure how to figure out which font is used by
      default, but I have added

      :set gfn=-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1

      to my gvimrc file. The "iso10646" part is important. When I tried
      various possibilities with

      :set gfn=*

      this is the only "adobe-courier" variant that worked, even though the
      font-selection dialogue warned that "This is a 2-byte font and may not
      be displayed correctly."

      I hope that someone who knows more about this than I do can
      suggest how to fix it so that vim chooses a more appropriate font OOTB
      for RH 8.0 users.

      --Benji Fisher