Re: Some bugs, drawbacks and wishes

  • Giuseppe Bilotta
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
      On Saturday, December 7, 2002 Pavel A. Papushev wrote:
      > 2) Without :set virtualedit=all it is not possible to establish in
      > 'normal' mode the cursor on the end of a nonempty line (though it is
      > possible on an empty line)! Therefore I can not press <End><S-Ins> in
      > 'normal' mode to insert text from clipboard into the end of a line -
      > it inserts the text not before a symbol of a new line, but before one
      > symbol before it. I have to write :set virtualedit=all, but I don't
      > want it.

      Use $p (or $"*p if you use the Windows clipboard) rather.

      > 4) The range of a horizontal scrollbar is calculated not from length
      > of the longest line in a file, but from length of the current line.
      > Let's assume I have opened a file with several thousands lines and
      > only one line has length several hundreds(!) symbols. In this case I
      > can't find out this line, looking at scrollbar, unless casually I set
      > cursor on this line!

      This is annoying indeed.

      --
      Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
    • Michael Brailsford
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
        On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:01:44AM +0600, Pavel A. Papushev wrote:
        > ==============================
        > 1) When I press <Esc> to enter 'normal' mode from 'insert' mode, the
        > cursor is shifted on one position to the left. It complicates writing
        > maps for 'insert' mode. I have to do one of:
        > 1. write
        > :inoremap <Esc> <Right><Esc>
        > :inoremap <S-Esc> <Esc><Right>
        > and use <S-Esc> in all combinations, where first should go <Esc>.
        > For example, instead of <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<Esc> I have to use
        > <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<S-Esc>, but it is not pleasant to me.

        You can use 'a' insted of 'i'. Any number of '<esc>a<esc>' combinations
        will leave the cursor in the same position before and after.

        > 2. use <C-o> instead (when press <C-o>, such shift is not present.).
        > But it not always that is required.
        > When I enter into 'normal' mode, I only want enter a 'normal' mode,
        > instead of to shift the cursor!

        Use 'a' instead of 'i'.

        > =============================
        > 2) Without :set virtualedit=all it is not possible to establish in
        > 'normal' mode the cursor on the end of a nonempty line (though it is
        > possible on an empty line)! Therefore I can not press <End><S-Ins> in
        > 'normal' mode to insert text from clipboard into the end of a line -
        > it inserts the text not before a symbol of a new line, but before one
        > symbol before it. I have to write :set virtualedit=all, but I don't
        > want it.

        Use 'p' to paste. 'p' will paste after the current cursor position.
        'P' will paste before the cursor. So you can do '$p' and it will paste
        after the last character on the line.

        > =============================
        > 7) It is not possible to define abbreviations such as #ifdef, @foo,
        > $bar and so on without adding #$@ to 'iskeyword'.

        Use mappings like ":imap ifdef #ifdef", or ":imap def #define".

        > =============================
        > 8) I would like only one command-line window with all advantages of
        > the VIM's buffer on the location of a usual command line. For what you
        > created two various command windows? From a usual one I even can't
        > copy text to clipboard under MS Windows!

        I don't understand what you mean.

        It sounds like vim already does most of what want done. The ones I
        didn't answer are ones that I don't know about off the top of my head.

        -Michael
      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2002
          Pavel,

          1) and 2) are there for vi compatibility. They are not
          bugs but deliberate vi-compatible behaviour. Naturally
          you can suggest yet more 'cpoptions'. I suspect that
          7) is also a hangover from vi compatibility although
          in vim's case you do have the 'iskeyword' option to
          work around it.

          8) This has been considered in detail before:
          Look in todo.txt for
          "Make editing the command line work like Insert mode in
          a single-line view on a buffer that contains the command
          line history."
          You might like to comment/make suggestiong on the issues
          listed there.

          9) You can make help buffers act like normal buffers as
          follows: Add an autocommand so that ":set buflisted" is run
          on help buffers when they are loaded. (The current behaviour
          is deliberate and was requested by many users.)