Some bugs, drawbacks and wishes

  • Pavel A. Papushev
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
      ==============================
      1) When I press <Esc> to enter 'normal' mode from 'insert' mode, the
      cursor is shifted on one position to the left. It complicates writing
      maps for 'insert' mode. I have to do one of:
      1. write
      :inoremap <Esc> <Right><Esc>
      :inoremap <S-Esc> <Esc><Right>
      and use <S-Esc> in all combinations, where first should go <Esc>.
      For example, instead of <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<Esc> I have to use
      <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<S-Esc>, but it is not pleasant to me.
      2. use <C-o> instead (when press <C-o>, such shift is not present.).
      But it not always that is required.
      When I enter into 'normal' mode, I only want enter a 'normal' mode,
      instead of to shift the cursor!
      =============================
      2) Without :set virtualedit=all it is not possible to establish in
      'normal' mode the cursor on the end of a nonempty line (though it is
      possible on an empty line)! Therefore I can not press <End><S-Ins> in
      'normal' mode to insert text from clipboard into the end of a line -
      it inserts the text not before a symbol of a new line, but before one
      symbol before it. I have to write :set virtualedit=all, but I don't
      want it.
      =============================
      3) It is not possible to use the following shortcuts:
      1. modifiers(except for a single Shift) + digits 0-9
      2. modifiers(except for a single Shift) + any non alpha-numeric
      symbols on main keyboard, except for \][
      On MS Windows I can use <C-letter>, but I can not use <C-S-letter>,
      <C-A-S-letter>, <A-S-letter>, <C-A-letter> and <A-letter>
      (even after :set winaltkeys=no)
      =============================
      4) The range of a horizontal scrollbar is calculated not from length
      of the longest line in a file, but from length of the current line.
      Let's assume I have opened a file with several thousands lines and
      only one line has length several hundreds(!) symbols. In this case I
      can't find out this line, looking at scrollbar, unless casually I set
      cursor on this line!
      =============================
      5) When I make vertical scrolling upwards and click on folding mark on
      gutter(fold column), text is scrolled in such a manner , that in a
      position of the click is shown not first line of fold, but the last.
      It confuses! When I scroll the screen upwards moving the cursor, such
      mistake is not present.
      =============================
      6) All menus with radio-items have no mark about the current chosen
      item.
      =============================
      7) It is not possible to define abbreviations such as #ifdef, @foo,
      $bar and so on without adding #$@ to 'iskeyword'.
      =============================
      8) I would like only one command-line window with all advantages of
      the VIM's buffer on the location of a usual command line. For what you
      created two various command windows? From a usual one I even can't
      copy text to clipboard under MS Windows!
      =============================
      9) All help-buffers are completely deleted from buffers-list after
      :bnext when focus is in their window. I would like help-buffers to be
      like usual buffers.

      *****************************
      Best regards,
      Pavel Papushev
      papushev@...
    • Giuseppe Bilotta
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
        On Saturday, December 7, 2002 Pavel A. Papushev wrote:
        > 2) Without :set virtualedit=all it is not possible to establish in
        > 'normal' mode the cursor on the end of a nonempty line (though it is
        > possible on an empty line)! Therefore I can not press <End><S-Ins> in
        > 'normal' mode to insert text from clipboard into the end of a line -
        > it inserts the text not before a symbol of a new line, but before one
        > symbol before it. I have to write :set virtualedit=all, but I don't
        > want it.

        Use $p (or $"*p if you use the Windows clipboard) rather.

        > 4) The range of a horizontal scrollbar is calculated not from length
        > of the longest line in a file, but from length of the current line.
        > Let's assume I have opened a file with several thousands lines and
        > only one line has length several hundreds(!) symbols. In this case I
        > can't find out this line, looking at scrollbar, unless casually I set
        > cursor on this line!

        This is annoying indeed.

        --
        Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
      • Michael Brailsford
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
          On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:01:44AM +0600, Pavel A. Papushev wrote:
          > ==============================
          > 1) When I press <Esc> to enter 'normal' mode from 'insert' mode, the
          > cursor is shifted on one position to the left. It complicates writing
          > maps for 'insert' mode. I have to do one of:
          > 1. write
          > :inoremap <Esc> <Right><Esc>
          > :inoremap <S-Esc> <Esc><Right>
          > and use <S-Esc> in all combinations, where first should go <Esc>.
          > For example, instead of <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<Esc> I have to use
          > <Esc>5<Ins>Hi<S-Esc>, but it is not pleasant to me.

          You can use 'a' insted of 'i'. Any number of '<esc>a<esc>' combinations
          will leave the cursor in the same position before and after.

          > 2. use <C-o> instead (when press <C-o>, such shift is not present.).
          > But it not always that is required.
          > When I enter into 'normal' mode, I only want enter a 'normal' mode,
          > instead of to shift the cursor!

          Use 'a' instead of 'i'.

          > =============================
          > 2) Without :set virtualedit=all it is not possible to establish in
          > 'normal' mode the cursor on the end of a nonempty line (though it is
          > possible on an empty line)! Therefore I can not press <End><S-Ins> in
          > 'normal' mode to insert text from clipboard into the end of a line -
          > it inserts the text not before a symbol of a new line, but before one
          > symbol before it. I have to write :set virtualedit=all, but I don't
          > want it.

          Use 'p' to paste. 'p' will paste after the current cursor position.
          'P' will paste before the cursor. So you can do '$p' and it will paste
          after the last character on the line.

          > =============================
          > 7) It is not possible to define abbreviations such as #ifdef, @foo,
          > $bar and so on without adding #$@ to 'iskeyword'.

          Use mappings like ":imap ifdef #ifdef", or ":imap def #define".

          > =============================
          > 8) I would like only one command-line window with all advantages of
          > the VIM's buffer on the location of a usual command line. For what you
          > created two various command windows? From a usual one I even can't
          > copy text to clipboard under MS Windows!

          I don't understand what you mean.

          It sounds like vim already does most of what want done. The ones I
          didn't answer are ones that I don't know about off the top of my head.

          -Michael
        • Vince Negri
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2002
            Pavel,

            1) and 2) are there for vi compatibility. They are not
            bugs but deliberate vi-compatible behaviour. Naturally
            you can suggest yet more 'cpoptions'. I suspect that
            7) is also a hangover from vi compatibility although
            in vim's case you do have the 'iskeyword' option to
            work around it.

            8) This has been considered in detail before:
            Look in todo.txt for
            "Make editing the command line work like Insert mode in
            a single-line view on a buffer that contains the command
            line history."
            You might like to comment/make suggestiong on the issues
            listed there.

            9) You can make help buffers act like normal buffers as
            follows: Add an autocommand so that ":set buflisted" is run
            on help buffers when they are loaded. (The current behaviour
            is deliberate and was requested by many users.)