Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Problems with utf8 encoding

Expand Messages
  • Srinath Avadhanula
    Hello, Of late, I have been trying to get latex-suite to support utf8 encoding. I have however noticed what seems to be an inconsistency in the way utf8
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hello,

      Of late, I have been trying to get latex-suite to support utf8 encoding.

      I have however noticed what seems to be an inconsistency in the way utf8
      characters display in vim/win2k and the way they display in
      vim/linux/cygwin.

      The problem is very simple to replicate:

      1. vim -u NONE -U NONE
      2. :set encoding=utf8
      3. type in the following sequence of characters:
      i<CTRL-k><< (for linux)
      i<CTRL-q><< (for windows)

      Now in windows, that displays a single cell character which looks like
      <<. However, in linux this displays as 2 characters «
      (<captial A hat><«>).

      Is this something which can be fixed by a setting?

      Thanks,

      PS: I am using vim6.1 on all platforms. The linux platform was
      Linux sc8-pr-shell1.sourceforge.net 2.4.18-grsec-1.9.4
      This is the shell provided to sourceforge.net users.

      --
      Srinath Avadhanula
      Dec 5 9:31pm
      A disciple of another sect once came to Drescher as he was
      eating his morning meal. "I would like to give you this personality
      test", said the outsider, "because I want you to be happy."
      Drescher took the paper that was offered him and put it into
      the toaster -- "I wish the toaster to be happy too".
    • Piet Delport
      ... Looks fine so far. ... What telnet/SSH terminal emulator are you using, and have you set it up to expect UTF-8 data? I get exactly the behaviour you
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
        On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 at 21:58:57 -0800, Srinath Avadhanula wrote:
        >
        > Of late, I have been trying to get latex-suite to support utf8 encoding.
        >
        > I have however noticed what seems to be an inconsistency in the way utf8
        > characters display in vim/win2k and the way they display in
        > vim/linux/cygwin.
        >
        > The problem is very simple to replicate:
        >
        > 1. vim -u NONE -U NONE
        > 2. :set encoding=utf8
        > 3. type in the following sequence of characters:
        > i<CTRL-k><< (for linux)
        > i<CTRL-q><< (for windows)

        Looks fine so far.

        > Now in windows, that displays a single cell character which looks like
        > <<. However, in linux this displays as 2 characters «
        > (<captial A hat><«>).
        >
        > Is this something which can be fixed by a setting?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > PS: I am using vim6.1 on all platforms. The linux platform was
        > Linux sc8-pr-shell1.sourceforge.net 2.4.18-grsec-1.9.4
        > This is the shell provided to sourceforge.net users.

        What telnet/SSH terminal emulator are you using, and have you set it up
        to expect UTF-8 data?

        I get exactly the behaviour you describe above when i set Vim's encoding
        to UTF-8, but leave my SSH client (PuTTY on Win2k) expecting ISO-8859-1
        encoded data (the default on PuTTY). Telling PuTTY to interpret
        incoming data as UTF-8 solved the problem.

        --
        Piet Delport
        Today's subliminal thought is:
      • Srinath Avadhanula
        ... Aah! I didn t think about this. Thanks! I will take a look at this again. I looked at the options for the secure shell client I use and didn t find any
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
          On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Piet Delport wrote:

          > What telnet/SSH terminal emulator are you using, and have you set it up
          > to expect UTF-8 data?
          >
          > I get exactly the behaviour you describe above when i set Vim's encoding
          > to UTF-8, but leave my SSH client (PuTTY on Win2k) expecting ISO-8859-1
          > encoded data (the default on PuTTY). Telling PuTTY to interpret
          > incoming data as UTF-8 solved the problem.

          Aah! I didn't think about this. Thanks! I will take a look at this
          again. I looked at the options for the secure shell client I use and
          didn't find any settings affecting the terminal encoding...

          However, I notice the same effect on cygwin/vim. I am not sure what kind
          of problem there is in that combination... I guess the best thing to do
          is to try it on a real linux box.

          --
          Srinath Avadhanula
          Dec 6 3:51pm
          "The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck on a tree more
          often."
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.