Re: Feature request: sort()

  • Tommy Reynolds
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
      Overcoming an impressive lethargy, Piet Delport <pjd@...> scribbled:

      > On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 at 09:46:17 -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
      > > digitect@... wrote:
      > >> Would it be a great effort to add a built-in sort() function to Vim?
      > > I agree that sorting is important, but I think that including this
      > > would be a step in the direction of Vim-OS, so it is unlikely to happen.
      > >
      > > It should be possible to write a vim script that looks for an external
      > > sort program and defines Sort() as a wrapper for it, or else implements
      > > Sort() in vim script.
      >
      > Agreed, but consider that Vim already has things like hostname(),
      > input*(), char2nr() tolower()/toupper(), and more. Vim is a text
      > editor, and sorting text is a pretty fundamental part of text editing,
      > compared to something like getting the machine's hostname.

      Well, "sort" isn't a O/S level issue: it's a C language issue.
      VIM is rather closely bound to C already so a call to the standard C
      library routine "qsort(3)" isn't likely to be unportable: it should be
      part of the standard libary. If not, providing a work-alike is
      simple since qsort(3) has been repeatedly ported and re-ported and
      re-implemented almost since time began ;-)
    • digitect@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002

        [arguments for and against]

        Thanks for the discussion. A few final points from me...

        * External !SORT in my instance is too bothersome because of the
        terminal window that is raised by gVim.

        * Perl, ruby, python... nice, but require these installed, which is
        hidden bloat anyway. I can't count on this. (That's what I meant by
        overhead, not speed--sorry for not being clear.)

        I'm trying to build an abstracted heirarchical tree display method,
        with content abstracted from display and indented, multiple nodes open
        at a time. I need the speed (depending on the application) for column
        sorts with large data sets without the above restraints.

        Steve Hall [ digitect(at)mindspring.com ]