bug: multi-line strings, folds, and syntax highlighting

  • David Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2002
      I have long been plagued by a bug in vim, and I finally got
      around to compiling with the latest patches to see if the
      problem is solved...and it isn't.

      I use frequently use folds in VIM, usually one per function
      when programming so I can very quickly traverse the file.
      When I use multi-line strings within a fold, sometimes VIM
      does not recognize that the string has ended and the syntax
      color for strings continues down through the remainder of
      the file. I have noted this behavior in both Python style
      strings (that use """ ... """) and SQL strings (that
      use ' ... ').

      For an example, see the attached file, foo.py. Open the
      file and enter the command:

      :set fdm=marker

      And optionally (for clarity):

      :set fdc=3

      You will see a single level-1 fold which contains 3 level-2
      folds. If you open the level-1 fold ("class Notebook(....."),
      then open the second or third folds ("def AddPage..." and
      "def CloseTab..."), you will see the problem I describe with
      syntax highlighting and folds. Note that the last line of
      the file ("#end class # }}}1" also displays the same
      problem even before any of the second-level folds are
      opened).

      --David