RE: using vim with gtk2, gnome2, bonobo

  • Philippe FREMY
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2002
      > I've been thinking today (while reading the thread) to xparts which has
      been
      > developed one or two years ago. I never used them (but Phil worked on
      them), so maybe I will
      > tell some mistakes :)
      > These were designed to be a portable model of "components". It allows
      > konqueror to embed gecko (mozilla's renderer) for example
      > instead of the default khtml. XParts were done to be usable with any
      toolkit
      > (GTK,KDE, Motif...). Sadly noone used it... (it's still in KDE's CVS,
      module
      > kdebindings)

      Mickael, I think you are greatly overestimating the value of XPart.

      IIRC XPart is just a KPart that contains a QXEmbed, which embeds another
      XWindow and communicate with using DCOP. This how I discovered the QXEmbed.
      KMozilla works this way, using the C dcop bindings to communicate with the
      XPartHost. So none of the problems we have with QXEmbed are going to be
      solved by the XPart.

      It seems like the GtkSocketPlug is more robust than QXEmbed.

      Now, it is clear that we need an identified API inside vim to pass commands
      and get the processing result.

      PHilippe